Page 61 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    What are some good current options for belt-attached 7.62 ak mag pouches? Preferably something that would work with a mix of polymer and steel mags would seem like a prudent way to go.

HSGI Taco seems a good option but their “belt mount” seems to leave a bit to be desired. Are there other, maybe polymer, maybe quick-attach, ways to attach a Taco to a belt?

https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/13TA-13TA.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I use the polymer Tacos with a Tek Lok bolted to the back. One of their pistol/rifle Tacos so equipped rides in my SBR bag with my 10.5” AR pistol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    That's what I have been using, it's really the only thing I found that offers me the flexibility to use all the AK mag varieties. T,he belt attachment seems to be solid but it's kind of a PITA to get on as you have to undo your belt and thread it through to get it on and off. Once on it doesn't slide around any more than any other belt attached do-dad. They are also a little tight for my liking - the plus of that means that they retain the magazine well and there is not problem pulling the magazine free, but there is a learning curve and still a little fumbling to get the magazine in the pouch, especially when you keep the magazine at the 7-8 o'clock.
    I find myself wondering if there aren't some sort of blade-tech or even just metal clips that would attach to the molle on the back but still allow a quick on/off without threading the belt.
    ah perfect. Any pics or tutorial on how you made the connection? I assume it's solid?

I think I even have some tek lok and maybe even a taco in the workshop now that I think about it...

ETA:
    well double dumbass on me, I didn't even know there was a polymer taco until I replied and then googled.
    https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/16TA00-16TA00.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    The Tek Lok on back of the polymer Taco is solid. I may have augmented it by sticking a piece of 3M double sided tape between them before adding the screws/bolts, I do that with kydex knife sheaths. I’ve also added a Tek Lok to an original style Taco by using wire ties thru the holes in the Tek Lok and then around the elastic in the body of the Taco. I was surprised how well it stayed put but the polymer Taco is more better.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    https://wildertactical.com/products/...t-clip-adapter

I didn't find the clip to be all that reliable in holding onto the belt, myself, but part of the reason may be the pouch I was using with it had a really weird implementation of molle, so the clip didn't quite go on it right. What ever the reason, I found putting the pouch on my belt a bit fiddly, as I had to take care the clip grabs onto the bottom of the belt. Removal of the pouch was very easy. But at $8 a piece, not an expensive thing to try.
    Got my polymer Taco and Tek Lok clip and assembled them. Forgot that blade tech only includes three screws but I’m sure this attachment pattern will be fine. I guess the three are meant to go down the center.

Going to try and play around with it this evening.

Name:  940FAF4C-656F-4FA5-AC90-7EFF2EC0FD11.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  720BA77A-2395-4FDB-9D0A-AA626CCA5EA8.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  B65C1F0A-C670-4CA7-91C6-F399919DD2C6.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  35.9 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

what do we like for "best" safety with shelf/notch? Links to a specific model that will work with my PSA appreciated. Not knowing all of the terminology I'm looking at Krebs website not entirely certain which is the right model, for example.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I have two gen 3 PSA's and each has one of these, dropped right in, no bending or nothing.

Site Supporter
    I don’t like the notch on enhanced safeties, would rather use a chamber flag and not have a hole in the dust cover.
    I know on some ranges etc it’s easier for people, but I’ve never seen the point.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I don’t like the notch on enhanced safeties, would rather use a chamber flag and not have a hole in the dust cover.
    I know on some ranges etc it’s easier for people, but I’ve never seen the point.
    notch or no, what lever do you like?

Site Supporter
    notch or no, what lever do you like?
    I’ve got orangutan fingers and am a cheap bastard so I still run standard safeties like it was 2005. The Krebs MKVI linked up thread should fit your rifle and nobody I know has had a problem with them (the only one in stock on Krebs website is for saigas and has the detent further foward on the lever) But I couldn’t find any in stock anywhere with a quick search.

I also just found this on AK operator union’s store that I’m going to buy. It should fit your rifle as well, but isn’t notched if that’s a concern.

https://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal47...Lever-Mod2.htm
    im strong, i can run faster than train

what do we like for "best" safety with shelf/notch? Links to a specific model that will work with my PSA appreciated. Not knowing all of the terminology I'm looking at Krebs website not entirely certain which is the right model, for example.
    I like the AK Operators Union enhanced safety over the Krebs. Although I haven't tried the AKOU second gen safety. I also have tried the Legion USA safety.

I would avoid ones with the BHO notch.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Pandemic being what it is I still haven’t gotten to shoot/zero the AK, but I did get some sling hardware for it. Although I forgot about the fact that Magpul thinks we can install their qd cups without a screw...at least I got a sticker.
    Attachment 56114

Attachment 56115
    Really feeling stupid here, or I’m missing something.

Tracked down the Magpul sling cup with screw included. Oddly it’s slightly longer, and apparently larger OD, than the one I bought with no screw. All I want is to have QD sockets on either side of the stock. Didn’t know it was going to be such a pain in the ass!

I absolutely have the skills and tools to force all of this to work, but I feel like there should be an easier plug-n-play option here that I’m somehow missing. Past experience has taught me that usually when I have to start cutting and drilling and hammering on brand new parts I’m generally doing something wrong or have the wrong parts.
    The small hole in both sockets is threaded, meaning even if all this was to work I’d have to first thread the screw through one, then stick it into the stock, then insert the other, and then somehow turn everything to tighten, except that the knurled bits are supposed to keep them from turning... or I could drill out the threads on one socket but that doesn’t resolve the other issue below of one socket being too long. Or the screw, which I won’t know how much to cut off until it’s installed, at which point I may not be able to get it out...

Here you can see the shorter one that came with no screw, and the longer that came with the screw (which, also seems to me to be too long).

Name:  76A613CA-046B-466A-871E-303832E1E0AA.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  67.8 KB

This is the shorter of the two sockets, inserted on either side, sitting flush with the plastic (as I’d expect them to)
    Name:  E9141EE1-A5A5-488A-AFE6-9846EE233CDA.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  66.3 KB. Name:  4BC964CE-D04D-4C52-9CB6-88EF728E0683.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  60.9 KB

The longer socket, that came with a screw, that won’t go in to the stock without banging on it, which I’m reluctant to do since then it’s going to just sit proud.
    Name:  87C10521-B39C-4C0B-8C70-7E90307BCCB1.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  61.6 KB

Here you can *almost* tell that the longer one is ever so slightly fatter than the shorter one.
    Name:  D94CDFCA-AFAA-4F13-86D8-023726D79EB7.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  17.3 KB

RS Regulate GKR-7MS

New handguard dropped today. It’s a mere 3.75oz with hardware. It’ll allow you to keep your cleaning rod and you can swap over the heat shield from your oem poly handguards.

http://instagram.com/p/CDUXkAipe2X/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Finally got the new GKR-7MS installed. Helpful tip - use a heat shield. It traps the front bracket making life so much easier.

http://instagram.com/p/CDjQRdapJ_N/

http://instagram.com/p/CDhb22qp0zH/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List