Page 94 of 108 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    While I don't have the expertise of @Hizzie and @Suvorov I can offer some observations from my recent research. First, a milled Arsenal in 7.62x39 will "take you to Hell and back" (per another person in the previous 90-some pages). However, Arsenal is seeing excessive 5.56 bolt carrier tail peening that they still haven't come to terms with. The workaround is apparently a replacement KNS adjustable gas piston, but it can be annoying to have to do your own fix when you're spending $2k on a rifle. Also, please be aware that spending that on an Arsenal will not exempt you from the possibility of canted sights, etc., endemic to the AK.

In general, 7.62 AKs are pretty standard for magazines, but you may have significantly more trouble with 5.56 magazine and their incompatibility. It appears that adding 5.56 to their lineup was an obvious move, but each factory may have chosen a different route to get there. FWIW, I was searching for a 5.56 AK and recently decided to go with a starter AK in 7.62 - probably a WASR 10 or a Zastava ZPAP M70 - less trouble at the expense of stocking a different caliber. Again, FWIW.
    Is the tail peening an issue or a cosmetic thing? I haven't even looked at mine to see if it has it. It's an older gun, 15 years if I remember right.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post

In general, 7.62 AKs are pretty standard for magazines, but you may have significantly more trouble with 5.56 magazine and their incompatibility. It appears that adding 5.56 to their lineup was an obvious move, but each factory may have chosen a different route to get there. FWIW, I was searching for a 5.56 AK and recently decided to go with a starter AK in 7.62 - probably a WASR 10 or a Zastava ZPAP M70 - less trouble at the expense of stocking a different caliber. Again, FWIW.
    I would agree with your assessment with the EXCEPTION of my “expertise.” I’m just a fan and observer same as you, just maybe been into it a little longer.

As has been mentioned - the OPAP and NPAP that Century brought in have had some heat treating issues. There are plenty of videos and threads on other forums that detail it. Probably not endemic to every one brought in, but frankly unless you do some hardness testing you I know of no way to be sure. Supposedly this is one of the reasons Zastava started to bring their rifles into the country under their own brand. I have had no problems with the 3 PAPs I own other than general issues related to AKs but they are all Zastava USA imports. That said, while I trust the Z-USA offerings I warn people that the Yugo standard is different enough that most AKM accessories will not fit.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 01-24-2023 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Is the tail peening an issue or a cosmetic thing? I haven't even looked at mine to see if it has it. It's an older gun, 15 years if I remember right.
    Mostly cosmetic. The bolt carrier tail is there to prevent the rifle from shooting out of battery, if it is sufficiently deformed, the hammer could strike the pin before the bolt begins to lock. I’m not sure how much deforming is needed in the carrier before this becomes a problem but the general consensus is not to worry about it. As the tail gets peened, it gets harder and the deformation slows.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I am not a high round count AK kind of guy. The ones I had or currently have are range toys.

A good friend is an AK guy. His opinion is Russian>Bulgarian>Romanian> everything else, which is a toss up. I trust him as he is at a pretty high level, built quite a few kits, and has engineered components for upgrading them.

As stated, my experience is limited but the two Saigas ran with no issues, one in 5.45 and the other in 223. Arsenal, one in 223 and the other in 7.62x39 were good and no issues. The 223 is on a milled receiver and is exceptionally accurate for an AK. I've had a couple kit builds in 5.45. One was a Century Tantal in 5.45. Ran great but the accuracy was poor because they put the wrong barrels on then.

I currently have a PSA blem in 7.62x39 that was bought as a kit about 5 years ago. I put it together and it has run on the 5 or 6 mags I have put through it.

I really like recoil pulse on the 5.45x39 and 223/5.56 AK as it feels closer to the AR that I shoot more often.
    Having owned over 20 AK variants at one point, and routinely enjoying 1000+round range trips at least monthly with them (oh when ammo was cheaper, and I had more time!) I agree with your friend's opinion on Russian>Bulgarian>Romanian>Everything else.

To expand on and explain a bit on the 'everything else' though, I'd hold up a Kassnar imported Hungarian, Steyr imported Maadi (or any Maadi really), or any of the milled pre-94 Chinese AK's as equal to or better than most of the Romanians, but you'll pay for the pleasure. Other notable exceptions include original barrel kit guns from Poland, Hungary, or Yugoslavia built on quality receivers by a skilled builder. Establishing those bona fides before purchase is important, though. Because there's a ton of totally screwed up kit builds using parts from every AK building nation, including Russia, that are disasters.
    So to avoid disasters and all the nebulous BS with kit built guns or custom builds or who-knows-if-this-is-a-good-one-or-not, then stick to Russian or Bulgarian guns imported as complete weapons (Saiga, VEPR, Arsenal, etc) and converted to 922(r) compliance after import. Romanians, or FEG-receiver Hungarians would come in right behind those, and everything else is nebulous soup that could range from outstanding to profoundly bad but that's almost at an individual gun-to-gun sort of scale based on who built it out of what parts, how the parts kit was imported (live barrel/intact front end or not) and what receiver it was built on.

Collector interest and 'NEVER TO BE IMPORTED AGAIN!!' panic has affected Russian gun prices significantly, so if starting from @Willard 's position I'd sell the OPAP (they're pulling $800-1k on GB), but seriously think for a week or so about selling the WASR because they punch way above their weight so long as you can accept the typical Warsaw Pact mil spec cosmetics.
    If you sell both, though, the proceeds should net around $1500-1700 combined and for a 'first rate quality' gun in that price range, your options are limited IMHO.
    Given the chaos in current imports (including Arsenal) and all the US made guns, for that ballpark I'd be looking for an older AWB era Bulgarian Arsenal SA93 or SLR95. Yes, being AWB era guns they're not threaded or bayo lugged and come with thumbhole stocks, but some thoughtful 922R parts and furniture and you're good to go. But as a starting gun being 100% Bulgarian guns on milled receivers with CHF chrome lined barrels, either one will be an outstandingly reliable and accurate AK that is made very well.

If you're a purist and want to eventually restore it to a technically accurate military pattern, the SA93 is the better choice because it has a correct Type III milled AK barrel profile. The SLR-95's have an AKM (stamped) barrel profile in a milled gun with a 90* gas block which doesn't match any military spec AK made so purists hate them. But the SLR95's barrels were purportedly made by Steyr and I can vouch that of the five SLR95's I've shot (one being the very first AK I ever bought, as an 18 year old) are noticeably more accurate than most other AK's even with cheap ammo. I also haven't really missed the threaded muzzle or bayo lug. An ALG trigger and US made furniture also gets you over the 922(r) parts count requirement for using whatever mags you want.
    I figured if I ever wanted to, I can get the SLR-95's pinned brake removed and have it threaded properly and concentric to the barrel to run a suppressor someday if desired.
    Last edited by JRB; 01-24-2023 at 02:34 PM.

For what it is worth - this is where I currently sit with the “restoration” of my Arsenal SA-93. It currently wears the correct barrel nut. While it is a great rifle, the lack of side rail for a scope mount limits its range appeal as my eyes begin to age out.

Name:  3FF1709F-FD3E-4340-9EFE-3712693B740E.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  52.6 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    For what it is worth - this is where I currently sit with the “restoration” of my Arsenal SA-93. It currently wears the correct barrel nut. While it is a great rifle, the lack of side rail for a scoop mount limits its range appeal as my eyes begin to age out.

Name:  3FF1709F-FD3E-4340-9EFE-3712693B740E.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  52.6 KB
    The AK 'Master Mount' is calling your name, friend I have one mounted on a milled Norinco and while it doesn't match the military aesthetic of the factory rails, it works extremely well and holds zero.
    The early version of the Master Mount was AL junk that galled/bent as you used it, but current versions are steel and have no issues.

https://akmastermount.com/
    Last edited by JRB; 01-24-2023 at 02:50 PM.

PSA copied the Definitive Arms mag well conversion for their 556 AK’s.

I am no fan of MI either. I would hardly consider reverse engineering a bunch of Zenitco stuff as innovative.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I’ve seen too many reports of AK Master Mounts not being able to be zeroed.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    I’ve seen too many reports of AK Master Mounts not being able to be zeroed.
    Early ones were Aluminum junk, yes.

Newer ones are much better. I've also seen a lot of absolute idiots screw up the simplest things and blame the weapon or optic or part. Better than 80% of the time it's an 'operator headspace and timing' problem.
    Based on my own experience with two Master Mounts, I'd bet on the same human errors for most if not all of their issues. Aside from their previous choice of AL for material, of course.

I think for semi-serious use- 50-100 rounds a month type of shooter, the PSA AK's shouldn't be completely ignored. The main reasons are that they have improved their product, prices are very fair, and if you do have an issue they are stateside and will take care of you.

When they 5.56 versions start to be come more available, I am going to pick one up.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List