Page 24 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    What about the Galil Ace?
    I like the looks of the .308. $2k 7.62x39 (before optics) leaves me wanting. I've handled the 7.62x39. Aside from easily mounting optics from the outset, I saw no reason to buy it over an Arsenal unless you wanted a truly turnkey 7.62x39 optics ready rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've run the poly Magpul mags in two classes and bunch of range days. I ran the steel lined Magpuls at CSAT. So far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

There's a Galil Ace pistol in 7.62x39 with brace for about $1600 at the LGS. The Ace isn't exactly how I want an AK, but it's closer than almost any other AK
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    There's a Galil Ace pistol in 7.62x39 with brace for about $1600 at the LGS. The Ace isn't exactly how I want an AK, but it's closer than almost any other AK
    If you want it, buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    The balance is different between the two. The SF also is a bit heftier. My pair of SF's (I had two before Darryl did ) are the smoothest AK's I've handled, including a Rifle Dynamics 545 build.

I have not tried the XS front sight yet. How does it do at distance?
    Better than a Big Dot, 1.5-2 times a wide as a stock AK front sight. That is to fit the tritium stripe. Has 2 white lines with the tritium stripe in the middle.

How many of y'all are choosing an AK as a primary work/HD gun and why?

Quote Originally Posted by masternave View Post
    How many of y'all are choosing an AK as a primary work/HD gun and why?
    I do. I don't enjoy AR's. I like shooting AK's. Much easier to maintain proficiency with something you are passionate about. I like 762x39. Originally my choice was based on cost since a decent AK was half the price of a 6920. Ammo was much cheaper too. Today costs are a wash.

Darryl has proven that with good ammo (Hornady SST) and a quality AK excellent accuracy can be had.

I ran an AK at CSAT and didn't drop a single rifle shot on the Scrambler. That was with cheap ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I still choose the AK. The reasons I originally chose the AK in 7.62x39 were:
    1) For self defense I didn't think I needed a gun out past 200 yards,
    2) Harder hitting caliber than 5.56 at close range,
    3) Simplicity of choices. At the time (2010) when I when I had to make the choice I could make a quicker decision on what AK to get vs. what AR to get. ARs at the time seemed complex, varying levels of quality, finicky, etc. SO many brands, so many choices, my brain was going to explode. In 2010,for AKs you basically had two economical choices that were considered creme of the crop - a converted Saiga or an Arsenal Bulgarian SLR series. Both came with chrome lined hammer forged barrels.
    4) Simplicity of operation - seemed more reliable at the time and if you got a malfunction, there were only 2 things you needed to know - 1- rack the bolt or 2 - remove mag, rack the bolt, put mag back in, rack again to chamber new round. No pile driving stocks, no putting fingers in the chamber to move things around, etc.
    5) Cost - a top tier (not custom) AK with every mod I needed was cheaper than an AR. Bulgarian SLR-107F - Folding stock for small package, ultimak rail for optics, thread barrel for normal ak twist to accept .30 caliber flash hiders, parkerize and moly coat the gun (Arsenals were known for terrible finishes), add a krebs plate and I was done.
    6) I lived in an apartment complex and didn't want people seeing me carry guns in an out through the lobby. I tossed my folding stock ak in a tennis bag and no problem. No law folder at the time.

Love the gun. Love using the gun.

That being said, I still want an AR for the following reasons -

1) Lighter overall package - my AK with Aimpoint T1 is heavy at least 8+ pounds. With the weight mostly forward it can get tiring. I would love something in the 6 to 7 pound range. Plus magazines and ammo are lighter too.
    2) Caliber ballistics - although I haven't done that much research, I have a feeling for in the home an AK round will zip through walls like no one's business. It seems 5.56 is better for this if that is a concern to you.
    3)Perception - it seems if I actually had to use it in a self defense scenario, a cop would look at an AR an "more likely" think everyone has an AR so whatever vs. who is this hillbilly guy with the Russian scary gun. In reality, it probably doesn't matter so I really don't know.
    4)Modularity - need to mount an optic and cowitness irons, no problem. Need a new barrel...no problem. I still like that folding stocks on AKs are easy especially since Magpul and doesn't require a $200 plus law adapter but in reality a Magpul folding stock is about $100. So if folding stocks are important to you, what is $100 in the grand scheme of things.
    5) Consensus that they are more accurate

Not being in the market for a long gun in awhile I really don't know much about cost and selection anymore...that probably has changed. That being said, I still think simplicity of operation and reliability are hallmarks of the AK that shouldn't be overlooked. I still hate the pleothora of AR options out there with little consensus on what is best or fighting worthy (and doesn't cost over $1500). Not sure what I would do today as I have been out of the long gun game for awhile. But that was my thought at the time. Hope it helps.

If you are interested in getting an AK, the new Arsenal SLR-107-11 that Arsenal just released may be a good option. I think it is pretty perfect right out of the box. If you purchase it, any mods you do to it can be done at home. Probably, the only thing that still sucks about the gun is the finish but that is not a game changer. Two cool things I like about it are the standard rear trunion. AK enthusiasts love the original folding stock versions but it does limit you in what stocks you can use. This has a standard trunion and if you want a folder, you can get a Magpul and pop it on with no gunsmithing. You can also get a ar-15 stock adapter if you want something adjustable without folding - also no gunsmith needed. Additionally, this comes with the normal AK threads (14x1mm LH threads) so you can put any flashhider or muzzle break device on it. The originals didn't have threaded barrels but had a front sight base that extended over the end of the barrel that muzzle break was threaded to. There were threee downsides to this - 1) non standard threads at 24mm so you could only really use what came with it 2) weight savings - not only was the original muzzle device proprietary, but it was also HUGE so not only do you get weight savings by being able to use something standard but you also save weight by not having the extra metal of the front sight base extend over the barrel, and 3) if you wanted something different you needed to send the original to a gunsmith for threading.

If I had this option 7 years ago when I bought my SLR-107FR, I would have chose this new version instead. For 849.99 it seems like a good deal.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 04-03-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Site Supporter
    Kalashnikov Concern – AK Modernization Kit Video

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/28...-kit/#comments

The folding stock with the cheek riser is interesting. The safety is very Krebs-ish.

Last edited by HCM; 05-28-2017 at 02:14 PM.

User Tag List