Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New life for my Steyr SSG 69!

New life for my Steyr SSG 69!

I have an SSG that I picked up over 20 years ago. It’s been a great gun, but factory parts are becoming scarce and aftermarket parts/mods/upgrades are almost non-existent. I have several of the factory 5 round mags, but some of them have broken over the years because they are made of hard plastic.

I retired the SSG a few years ago after buying a Bergara that uses AICS style mags. But I recently found a company called WATERS RIFLEMAN that offers an aluminum bottom metal for the SSG that accepts AICS style mags https://www.watersrifleman.com/steyr/ .

I contacted them and David, one of the owners, emailed me back! I ordered the bottom metal last week and it arrived today. The bottom metal fit the stock like a glove! I bolted the together without any issues. Even though David recommended MDT metal mags, inserted a Magpul AC mag and it clicked in place and held tight… Magpul are all I have.

I ran into a minor issue with feeding though. Unless I kept foreword pressure on bottom of my mags, the rounds wouldn’t line up with the feed ramp. I was able to resolve the problem by re-shaping and polishing the feed ramp that is part of the bottom metal. Now it feeds perfectly but I still need to test it at the range. As with any aftermarket part, I was expecting to do a little fitting to make it work perfectly.

I’m very happy with the bottom metal and the service from David and WATERS RIFLEMAN! The price was great too!

Before:
    Name:  IMG_2699.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  101.6 KB

After:
    Name:  IMG_2702.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  82.4 KB

I had one 5-round Bergara mag that came with my Bergara and I tried running it. It wouldn’t feed at all?!?! The mag sat too low and the bolt wouldn’t strip the rounds out of the mag. It was also slightly difficult to get the magazine out. I guess it goes to show that not all AICS STYLE MAGS aren’t the same.

We to the range today to test out the new part. It ran FLAWLESSLY! I ran 60 round threw it without any issues.

Here’s a pic of the aluminum piece and the plastic factory piece
    Name:  IMG_2695.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  IMG_6452.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  60.9 KB

Great.

Always wanted a SSG, Jeff Cooper used to have one for his crow’s nest. Here is a picture of his in the Sconce armory from my trip there a few years ago.

Also, John Thomas Rourke used to use a SSG

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    Always wanted a SSG, Jeff Cooper used to have one for his crow’s nest. Here is a picture of his in the Sconce armory from my trip there a few years ago.
    What are the two between the Scout and the SSG? I think the second one up is the Model 30 Remington in 30-06 that he wrote about. I have no idea about the one above it.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Nice upgrade!

I've always liked the looks of the SSG but have never had the chance to shoot one.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    What are the two between the Scout and the SSG? I think the second one up is the Model 30 Remington in 30-06 that he wrote about. I have no idea about the one above it.

Okie John
    I do not know unfortunately.

It’s a nice rifle, but by today’s standards, it’s outdated. The “high tech” for the time synthetic stock can be weakened by cleaning products. The early versions, including mine, came with a plastic trigger guard/bottom metal, which could crack if you over torqued the action screws. I did it to mine. They later updated the trigger guards that had metal sleeves where the screws go through, but the rest was still plastic. Over torquing the action screws could also damage the synthetic stock.

Another issue was that a lot of accessories were proprietary like the scope rings. The receiver has dovetails cut into it that only accepted Steyr scope rings. They later came out with a Picatinny rail that fit over the dovetails which allowed you to use other rings.

The factory mags were also made of a hard plastic that could break if mishandled. Two of mine failed simply by keeping them loaded! The notches that held the rotary springs cracked.

But on a brighter note, they shoot great! I haven’t shot mine in several years but was really surprised by my results today. I only had PMC Match 168 gr and it still held 1 MOA. And this is a rifle that’s over 20 years old with several thousand rounds through it.

So if you have extra cash laying around, like the nostalgia, would enjoy owning a classic, and can track one down, then by all means, go for it!!!

Here’s a pic of todays best 5 round group…
    Name:  IMG_2703.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  47.0 KB

And if anyone is looking for factory 5 round mags, PM me… I have 3 used ones and 2 new in package.

I have a Steyr SSG that I bought 30 years ago. I have not shot it in a while, but when I did shoot it I managed to put 5 Fed 168 grain match loads into .5" at 100 yards and 1" at 200 yards. I have a few magazines for it. My big regret is that I did not buy a MacMillan adjustable stock for it.

User Tag List