Page 67 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    In 7.62 I would rather have a stock than brace due to recoil.
    Recoil on my PSA AK-P isn’t that bad (their triangle folder). But I am personally contemplating about tossing a Magpul stock on there (SBRing it). Not that there is much wrong with the brace... but folding the opposite way and better sling options make it an overall nicer choice. No issues shouldering is also an added benefit... but I made/bought pistols for a specific reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mntneer357 View Post
    *IF* somebody wanted to buy an AK (or, in the current situation, was able to FIND an AK to buy) is the safest bet still to plunk down $1200 and get an Arsenal (again, assuming you can find one)? Have any of the other manufacturers such as KUSA or PSA made improvements to be worthy of consideration? Is it feasible to get a good -47 or -74 for under $1200?

For someone's first venture into the platform, would you recommend a -47 or -74 given our current climate? What about AK pistols with braces? I got to handle one from PSA owned by an acquaintance but didn't know if it was just a range toy or what...

I appreciate any time/guidance in advance, gents. Cheers.

Right now I'd rather drop $1200 on an Arsenal than $900-1000 on a WASR, not that WASRs are bad.

Stick with 7.62x39 for now. 5.45 and mags are much less common.

I have a 7.62x39 M92 with an SBA3 on it. No problem there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Right now I'd rather drop $1200 on an Arsenal than $900-1000 on a WASR, not that WASRs are bad.

Stick with 7.62x39 for now. 5.45 and mags are much less common.

I have a 7.62x39 M92 with an SBA3 on it. No problem there.
    I respectfully disagree with most of this. Having seen the newer SLR-107r series, I’d take the WASR for the money and spend the difference in cost on optics, ammo, or mags. If you find a 107FR for $1200, buy it and throw a free bottle of lube for the poor guy.

Quality magazines for all AKs are scarce now with the exception of magpuls. If you want an AK, find one with a package deal with a few magazines.

My experience right now is that 5.45 is the only rifle ammo available at a half-way reasonable price. However, I would be hestitant to enter the 5.45 market now due to the high probability of import restrictions. 7.62x39 is in the exact same boat. Sure like 2 domestic companies make it, but it’s scarce and no one wants to pay the price for it. If you choose to go 5.45 stack it deep asap to ride out the gap until a domestic manufacture picks it up.

Otherwise, 5.45 is the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk de

Site Supporter
    Finally picked up my SLR-107R from my dealer today. My first and likely only AK unless things get better in 4/8 years. I've got 20 or so PMAGs to feed it. Ordered a Vickers sling and MagPul Zhukov stock ( not digging the factory stock). If all I wanted to add was an Aimpoint Micro, would a Ultimak or RS Regulate side mount be the best way to go about it?
    Name:  20210110_202939.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  24.1 KB

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Finally picked up my SLR-107R from my dealer today. My first and likely only AK unless things get better in 4/8 years. I've got 20 or so PMAGs to feed it. Ordered a Vickers sling and MagPul Zhukov stock ( not digging the factory stock). If all I wanted to add was an Aimpoint Micro, would a Ultimak or RS Regulate side mount be the best way to go about it?
    Name:  20210110_202939.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  24.1 KB
    I think it depends on what where you want the sight to sit. If it was me, I’d go with the RS as it would give you the option of mounting a LPVO if the desire arises. While the RS seems to be considered the best side mount I will just add that I have been happy with my Gen 2 Midwest. The Vickers sling has served me real well.

PS - nice rifle!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I think it depends on what where you want the sight to sit. If it was me, I’d go with the RS as it would give you the option of mounting a LPVO if the desire arises. While the RS seems to be considered the best side mount I will just add that I have been happy with my Gen 2 Midwest. The Vickers sling has served me real well.

PS - nice rifle!
    Thanks, I'm brand new to the AK so trying to figure out what will work best for me. I like my Vickers AR slings, so figured that was a safe bet. While do like LPVO's, I'll most likely just stick with an RDS on this, although I bet a Vortex 1-6 would be slick.

Vickers sling is great but gotta have a good front attachment. I’m not a fan of the universal, uloop or uwl on the AK. Universal is good for a lefty. The Belt Fed Loop is pricy but doesn’t twist. I am biased to RS Regulate but prior to coming on board I tried to save a few bucks with MI and instantly regretted it.

My Zhukov stock experience was poor and sold off both of mine quickly. Easily folded with mild side pressure. Had cheek slap reminiscent of the yugo guns. Combloc surplus folder or CNC Warrior (horribly slow right now) would be my choice for a folder. JMac probably makes the most bomb proof AK to AR adapter available currently. The Vltor and TDI AKST are both quite serviceable.

http://instagram.com/p/CJtHFccrllJ/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    If all I wanted to add was an Aimpoint Micro, would a Ultimak or RS Regulate side mount be the best way to go about it?
    RS Regulate is considered the best option on the market. The Ultimaks are fine for guns without side rails but if you have a side rail use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

RS Regulate is considered the best option on the market. The Ultimaks are fine for guns without side rails but if you have a side rail use it.
    Ultimak is also the better option if your rifle folds as Mother Russia intended. If you intend to use a side rail mount, be sure your stock folds to the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AK is an already front heavy rifle. While an Ultimak and micro RDS don’t add a ton of weight on paper they add it all at the front of the rifle. Only makes the balance worse. I actually find milled guns less fatiguing to shoot even with the added weight because they balance better.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List