Page 35 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    The following are steaming piles of turd that borderline on dangerous:

Century RAS47
    Century C39
    Century C39 V2
    Century “American” Draco - any size

Too many reports of the guns going out of headspace in under 2k. Too many reports of rifles grenading. I would avoid the new VSAK too based on past performance.

The PSA have had many issues with reliability and durability too.

Too many guns with bad heat treat coming out of Zastava the past few years. PAP, NPAP, OPAP and M92 all randomly effected. No “safe” date range.

The Romanian, Cugir built, guns improved around 2012.

Arsenal ((10)) guns declined slightly.
    I appreciate your time and thank you for the above "do not buy" list. For those of us new to the AK world, experienced advice is invaluable. Is there already somewhere a list of solid AK buys? I've heard Arsenal's SAM7 series is pretty amazing, but also a bit spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mntneer357 View Post
    I appreciate your time and thank you for the above "do not buy" list. For those of us new to the AK world, experienced advice is invaluable. Is there already somewhere a list of solid AK buys? I've heard Arsenal's SAM7 series is pretty amazing, but also a bit spendy.
    The SAM7 is pretty amazing. Great deals on used SAM7’s are out there. IME milled guns are smoother than stamped. They do weigh more. Although a recent discussion about that puts it in perspective.

Arsenal SLR-107R 7.3lbs
    Arsenal SAM7R 8.0lbs

Loaded gen2 AK Pmag ~1.45lbs

So real world the difference is less than half a loaded magazine difference. Now consider where that weight is located. All that extra weight is in the receiver placing it right over the hands. IMHO the balance is better and the milled guns don’t seem as nose heavy.

Arsenal Bulgaria
    Cugir Romania
    VEPR Russia (no longer imported)
    Saiga Russia (no longer imported)
    Norinco China (no longer imported)

Krebs Customs, Definitive Arms and a few others put out excellent guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

The SAM7 is pretty amazing. Great deals on used SAM7’s are out there. IME milled guns are smoother than stamped. They do weigh more. Although a recent discussion about that puts it in perspective.

Arsenal SLR-107R 7.3lbs
    Arsenal SAM7R 8.0lbs

Loaded gen2 AK Pmag ~1.45lbs

So real world the difference is less than half a loaded magazine difference. Now consider where that weight is located. All that extra weight is in the receiver placing it right over the hands. IMHO the balance is better and the milled guns don’t seem as nose heavy.

Arsenal Bulgaria
    Cugir Romania
    VEPR Russia (no longer imported)
    Saiga Russia (no longer imported)
    Norinco China (no longer imported)

Krebs Customs, Definitive Arms and a few others put out excellent guns.
    Any thoughts about kit builders? I want to get a 1985 (birth year) numbers matching, original barrel kit and have it done up. I'm thinking Polish AKM or a AKS74U but with AK-100 Folding Stock Set in Walnut.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Any thoughts about kit builders? I want to get a 1985 (birth year) numbers matching, original barrel kit and have it done up. I'm thinking Polish AKM or a AKS74U but with AK-100 Folding Stock Set in Walnut.
    M13 Industries is who builds for all my guys.
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    A numbers matching 1985 AKS-74U kit with original barrel will be a VERY expensive kit, and hard to find. Being a 1985 it'll also have a 4.5mm stock pin which will be incompatible with that stock set, and the handguards won't fit the shorter AKS-74U handguard length. Though that walnut is damn pretty!

It's entirely possible to just get a 1985 trunnion and mixmaster the kit to suit your ideal combination - it's just not going to happen on a OG barrel matching kit.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    A numbers matching 1985 AKS-74U kit with original barrel will be a VERY expensive kit, and hard to find. Being a 1985 it'll also have a 4.5mm stock pin which will be incompatible with that stock set, and the handguards won't fit the shorter AKS-74U handguard length. Though that walnut is damn pretty!

It's entirely possible to just get a 1985 trunnion and mixmaster the kit to suit your ideal combination - it's just not going to happen on a OG barrel matching kit.
    Good point, I hadn't known about the differences in hinge pin sizes. Legion does sell 5.5 trunnions (out of stock IIRC) but you're right about the hand guard. Honestly I lean towards the Polish AKM because it won't need to be SBR'd or pin/welded. Plus, it's iconic.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Forgot how much I like the Unity Tactical VFG. Big enough to be useful but small enough not to interfere with mag changes. This is the last pic of the beater SF looking like a rescue. She’s getting a fancy cerakote job from Eleven Mile.

http://instagram.com/p/BvT4RTiHoO0/
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

M13 Industries is who builds for all my guys.
    Which 7.62x39 barrel have you been using?

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post

I have not had any builds done. Some of my guys have. I believe several have used barrels from JMAC Customs.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...arrel-romanian

User Tag List