Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a 30-30

I need a 30-30

Or should I sell my components? I'm trying to ramp up getting stuff for my kids since the price of stuff is getting silly.

I'm think a Savage bolt gun. I can use up my left over bullets then utilize the same 308 bullets my other .30 use.

I have a bunch of 125gr Sierras on Hans and 140gr Barnes.

Then maybe pick up another lever down the road?

How are the savage bolt guns? I've always kinda liked them but never owned one. I could also get a spare stock and cut it down as the youth deer gun.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

ANY Savage bolt gun I've owned has been built like a tank and very accurate. One of the few companies that actually make left handed versions.
    Over time I've owned 3 different models....all great guns.

But get a 30-30 lever as well.

<OR> There are 30-30 bolts out there, and Savage made them.

Believe it was the 340c. Had one of these as well.

Like this:

"... And miles to go before I sleep".

You could just make some light shooting .30-06 rounds with the existing bullets. Then give the kids a couple of sporterized '03s to match dad's. For the interim - get the cheapest Boyd's stock you can and chop the LOP and mount the action. As they get older/bigger go back to the sporter stock.

2200fps behind a 140gr Barnes will kill white tail dead as can be. 22-2500fps behind 125s will be a SOFT shooting load to learn on.

Edit: My reloading assistant app says ~150gr Barnes out of a 20" barrel ~2000fps to start and 2250fps max. That's a hot .30-30 load. But that would be a very mild '06 load.

If if a used lever 30-30 was still 300$ I’d say you do need one.
    I still see the odd 94 up for around 500$ on the used market here in Canada. Marlins are stupid expensive.
    As it stand right now I’d sit on the components until rugers and rossis saturate the market so the price drops down then get an old 1894 bolt on a peep sight then you’ll have a wonderful slim truck gun.
    Nothing beats a slim tube fed lever gun. So dainty and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You could just make some light shooting .30-06 rounds with the existing bullets. Then give the kids a couple of sporterized '03s to match dad's. For the interim - get the cheapest Boyd's stock you can and chop the LOP and mount the action. As they get older/bigger go back to the sporter stock.

2200fps behind a 140gr Barnes will kill white tail dead as can be. 22-2500fps behind 125s will be a SOFT shooting load to learn on.

Edit: My reloading assistant app says ~150gr Barnes out of a 20" barrel ~2000fps to start and 2250fps max. That's a hot .30-30 load. But that would be a very mild '06 load.
    I was thinking savage 340 like csw Posted since I have close to a thousand pieces of brass
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

This one looks interesting. It is in 30-30 AI but you can just fireform brass.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Disregard

Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    If if a used lever 30-30 was still 300$ I’d say you do need one.
    I still see the odd 94 up for around 500$ on the used market here in Canada. Marlins are stupid expensive.
    Agreed.

I was at the Tulsa gun show a few weeks back and solid 30-30s were going for $750.

The world has lost its way.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I love the .30/30 and shoot it a lot.

I have taken lots of deer and hogs with my Marlins when I lived in TX.

We also had a .222 Savage 340. It was a truck gun and got lots of hard use. It held up well and was very accurate. I have always wanted a .30/30 version just for fun.

I am going to suggest getting one, so I can live vicariously through your posts.

Keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    ...How are the savage bolt guns? I've always kinda liked them but never owned one. I could also get a spare stock and cut it down as the youth deer gun.
    Quite good, especially with a peep sight mounted, and I'm sitting across the room from one as I type. Just be advised that the stocks are sometimes cracked but can usually be stabilized with glue to keep truckin'.

https://ataleoftwothirties.com/?p=978

User Tag List