Page 98 of 109 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Thanks, I’m looking forward to getting it. I’m wanting to put the folding stock on it. Looks like original Polish folders are hard to find but there are a couple reproductions out there that look good that I’ll probably give a try. Atlantic told me that they expect a new batch of optic rails late summer/early fall so I’ll probably just shoot irons until then. As I understand it the optic rail is a weakness of the system and places the optic up too high for a cheek weld. Given that I have an extra EOTech laying around I plan on trying to make a Polish GWOT clone, I’ll accept the sub par mounting solution for “historical accuracy.” Rob Ski put a side mount on his 762 gun for this reason. The Beryl Green magazine runs in my M90 fine and the WBP with a little filing of their backs so I’m hoping for commonality between my M90 and Beryl. Would certainly make life easier, but yeah, as a Valmet owner I agree 1000% with your comments about buying magazines when they are available. I’m also wanting a “modern” 762 gun before any gun ban buffoonery starts (seems Colorado is always one legislative session away from an AWB and I fear there is a strong chance of Gavin becoming POTUS), I’ve been debating between a PSA and a KUSA AK103 but if the Beryl is as good as many say I might go with an M1.

I have an Arsenal SA93 which is the forerunner of the SAM7 as well as a couple Zastava M70s. From a fit and finish perspective I’d give it to the Arsenal, but frankly after that I would say it comes down to price and what makes you happy. The M70 will run about half of what the SAM7 will. I don’t think the Arsenal is twice the gun the M70 is for sure. Both will be restrictive on stocks available as the SAM7 is a forged/milled receiver and the M70 is a Yugo pattern. The SAM7 will fit most standard AK handguards while the M70 will need Yugo specific hand guards. Both will be beefy girls unless you can find a 1mm ZPAP (I have one I’m looking to sell). I’ve been quite happy with my M70s, it’s given me good accuracy and any malfunctions I’ve had have been magazine related. Both my Arsenal and one Zastava have had some sight issues (canted on the Arsenal and loose rear leaf on the Zastava) that the OCD side of me had to remedy but that seems to be part of the magic of running AKs.

Below is my zero target from my M70 at 100 yards from “magazine prone” using the AK irons shooting cheap Wolf 122gr fodder. While I would suspect the SAM7 could group a little tighter based on some of the groups I’ve got with my SA93, the M70 shoots fine for me.

Attachment 106885

I’ve not read of issues with soft receivers on actual military M70s but it certainly seems to have been an issue with the Century import rifles. All of the 1mm receiver military guns I’ve seen have been folders or M85 pattern. According to Rob Ski, Zastava USA insisted on a factory trigger being used in their guns as they claimed that will reduce peening issues. I don’t think the increased wear due to the ALG trigger is unique to M70s as well. I would hesitate to put an ALG trigger on one of mine (some people who claim more knowledge than me state is is a problem with the shape/profile of the ALG trigger more than the hardness of the metal). The plus side of this is that all of the Zastava “ZPaps” I have owned (3 of them) have had more than serviceable triggers.

It is worth noting to others that the M70 is NOT a true AK pattern rifle. Stalin and Tito were not on each others “May Day” card lists in the 1950s and the USSR did not give the Yugoslavians the TDP or set up a factory for the production of AKs like they did other nations, thus the M70 rifles are the result of reverse engineering that no doubt resulted in different material specifications, most famously the lack of a chromed barrel and possibly softer materials. While the “official” reason for the 1.5mm receiver is the reliance on rifle grenades within Yugo doctrine as you say - it might also be a way of dealing with softer receiver material or inconsistent heat treating.
    The ALG triggers are notoriously hard, I've seen them cause peening on bolt carrier tails on way more AKs than just Zastavas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    SAM7 all day everyday. Zastava has had so many metallurgy and QC issues I wouldn’t consider them.
    I have a good friend who is an AK enthusiast and says the same.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    Can you provide examples of metallurgy issues with current production Zastavas?
    Soft receivers and bolts are what I have seen. It affected all of the PAP models and M92.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Soft receivers and bolts are what I have seen. It affected all of the PAP models and M92.
    The 1mm receiver models haven't been in production for quite some time and were never variants of military rifles. I've yet to see any instances of metallurgy issues with Zastava USA imported M70s.

The 1mm receiver models haven't been in production for quite some time and were never variants of military rifles. I've yet to see any instances of metallurgy issues with Zastava USA imported M70s.
    I had two OPAPs that were soft. One receiver that egged badly and another with a very soft carrier that showed excessive peening despite a low round count.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I had two OPAPs that were soft. One receiver that egged badly and another with a very soft carrier that showed excessive peening despite a low round count.
    Zastava blamed Century for pressuring them for more and more cost cutting to meet their desired budget. It's part of why Zastava cut with Century and formed Zastava USA to bring in their guns.

Again, I've yet to see any examples of Zastava USA imported M70s having metallurgy issues or egging trigger pin holes.

Funnily enough, I had a Bulgarian Arsenal SLR104FR that did have egging out pin holes, an Arsenal SAM5 with badly peening receiver, a SAM7R with a peening ejector to the point where even Arsenal said something was wrong, and another SAM7R with excessive peening that Arsenal requested be sent back. Every company has bad batches. The Zastava ones were years ago.

Speaking of Zastava, it looks like we might be losing them soon (along with Serbian ammo imports). The President of Serbia is most likely going to ban all export of Serbian arms and ammunition in anticipation of conflict with Kosovo.

https://balkaninsight.com/2023/07/06...gainst-serbia/

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Speaking of Zastava, it looks like we might be losing them soon (along with Serbian ammo imports). The President of Serbia is most likely going to ban all export of Serbian arms and ammunition in anticipation of conflict with Kosovo.

https://balkaninsight.com/2023/07/06...gainst-serbia/
    Looks like it is going into effect.

With the war in Ukraine and now this, the era of the import AKs looks to be quickly becoming a fond memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Looks like it is going into effect.

With the war in Ukraine and now this, the era of the import AKs looks to be quickly becoming a fond memory.
    Yeah, so all we got left are Bulgaria ($2k+ Arsenals only), Romania (WASR 10), and Poland (WBP and FB Radom), though I don’t see any of those lasting forever. All imports end eventually. I get the feeling Poland might be next. Not necessarily from an import ban, but FB’s focus is increasingly on military contracts given the state of things in Europe, and the fact that the GROT is replacing Beryl production. WBP is there but they are also getting more contracts and sending guns to Ukraine. Then there’s always the possibility of an export ban, import ban, etc.

If I didn’t already have lots of AKs with mags and ammo for them it’d be really painful to try to play catch up right now.

Azerbaijan is bringing in 5.45 but it’s going to be 70 cents per round, so unless other large sources of 5.45 ammo start appearing, the AK74 is especially dead. The most practical option at the moment if one wants an AK is one in 5.56, but the only one that seems completely solid and available is the Beryl.

SAM7 all day everyday. Zastava has had so many metallurgy and QC issues I wouldn’t consider them.
    I arrived at that conclusion long ago.

I run nothing but SAM7s and SASM7 (3 of each, all being exemplary of the breed) after a bad experience with an M70 (dimensional issues that made that particular rifle suck) and stuck with the milled Arsenals after that.

The Arsenals are admittedly expensive, but for a milled receiver and solid-quality chrome lined barrel, the price is justified—especially at the 2005 - 2008 retail prices I picked them up at.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List