Page 42 of 108 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    My understanding of the fake brake was to provide the appearance of a modern AK104 while still meeting the 16" barrel requirement. The AK104 gas block looks odd with a 16" barrel without a brake, and from an aesthetic standpoint, the fake brake is only about 2" longer than the real one, so it gets you very close to the appearance of a 104 while still remaining NFA compliant.

However, the threads for the brake are in the proper place on the barrel, so if you submit a Form 1, it is a comparatively easy SBR procedure...unscrew fake brake, cut barrel to 12", screw on real brake.

Here's the procedure on a SLR-104UR (an even shorter configuration, but the execution is the same).

I understand it on the rifles.

I’m asking about why they have it on the Sam7 Pistol, since it is a pistol and doesn’t need to meet a 16” barrel length.

I spent a year shooting an AK exclusively in multiple classes and monthly carbine matches. I enjoyed beating most, if not all, of the field while they’d shot tricked out ARs and I shot a mostly stock AK. I can’t say that, other than starting on safe and learning to swipe it off quickly, and the reload mentioned above, I can point to any one thing that made it worse, but there were dozens of little small issues over the course of that year that both made me appreciate the AK but also want to get back to the AR.

But, as one of the other posters mentioned, the initial attraction was alway cost, and that seems to have largely gone away these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I have the Attero Bravo on my Draco and a WASR. It's tight as Hizzie said, but once you do it a couple times it's a piece of cake. I've had no problems with it holding zero on newer production guns like the two I have them on, but when I installed one on my old beat up parts kit gun that I built, not only does it sit so low that the dust cover can't be reinstalled without removing the set screw on the mount, but there is enough of a gap in the rear sight tower between the sides and the mount for it to move around and not hold zero. I've heard of people having that issue and threading the hole in the mount and using a screw instead of the roll pin, but it wasn't worth it to me. That is a testament to the wild tolerances of old country cold war era combloc guns and not a Attero issue. I went back to an Ultimak on that gun.

The Attero Bravo is my preferred way to mount a red dot on an AK these days and I was glad to see Khyber Customs become a dealer. Getting one directly from Attero used to be kind of a PITA, comms weren't great, but it was a young guy and his Dad and I think they were doing as best as they could. Now just having to focus on production, with KC distributing them, it's much easier to get ahold of one.

Update on the Attero Bravo. I decided to go put some rounds through my Draco yesterday. I also had 3 muzzle devices that I wanted to try out back to back. First few hits at 50 were on steel, first 3 shots at 100 were not. Not thinking much about it, I put a few rounds at the target at 50 and missed with 2 of the 3. That morning, I'd read on another forum about someone having a wandering zero with their fairly new Primary Arms advanced micro dot so I thought that was the problem. I turned the optic off and was just gonna kick it old school with irons for the day, and I was having the same problem, shots everywhere. Upon further inspection, the once rock solid Attero Bravo, which has the rear sight built into the mount, that had held zero for a couple thousand rounds, now had significant play in it at the roll pin. I could move it back and forth at ease. Over time, the steel roll pin had wallered out the hole in the aluminum mount. Other people have had this issue.

I went into Macgyver mode. I had a hammer in my truck and some roll pin punches in my range bag so I removed the mount. I had some keymod hardware in there, so I stole the screw out of it and reinstalled the Bravo with the set screw versus the roll pin. It self tapped into the aluminum fairly easily. After a rough rezero of the optic, I was back in business. I was unable to move the mount by hand with the set screw and it stayed zeroed for the rest of the day. Once home, I applied some blue Loctite to both screws and will go back hopefully next week and get a good zero on it. If it gets sloppy again and won't hold zero, I'm gonna ditch the Attero Bravo and put an Ultimak on this thing and drive on. I'm going to do the same thing to the Bravo mount on my WASR as a preventative measure.
    Attachment 38825
    Attachment 38826
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 06-08-2019 at 10:15 AM.

That was very "AK" of you. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    That was very "AK" of you. Well done.
    Thanks. The tailgate of my pickup on a sunny and warm Western WA spring day, 15 miles up a logging road in the middle of nowhere is probably much better working conditions than the original AK builders had to work with.

Following the trend with AR grips getting more vertical, Echo93 released their 85 grip. I have a Russian Red laminate on the way for testing.

http://instagram.com/p/BzGakGCjeTY/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

No fancy pics but comparison of all the grips in my parts bin to the new Echo93 85 Grip.

http://instagram.com/p/BzOoyWMAggl/
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    No fancy pics but comparison of all the grips in my parts bin to the new Echo93 85 Grip.

http://instagram.com/p/BzOoyWMAggl/
    If I ever get an underfolder I'll probably grab one of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    If I ever get an underfolder I'll probably grab one of those.
    Funny you mention UF. Atlantic just got in another lot of WASRUF’s.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Natural light makes the color just explode.

I really like the angle. It feels more comfortable during presentations. I can see this causing less hand fatigue over the course of a day. My only complaint is the lack of texture to the grip. I hope they do a polymer or G10 version with aggressive texture.

http://instagram.com/p/BzQinKrANE4/

http://instagram.com/p/BzSvpj6Ahl1/
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List