Page 65 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of the AK

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DueSpada View Post
    As a first rifle for tweakafying, a Kalashnikov was never a convenient choice. As a first rifle for an older, more elemental purpose, it is still as good as it ever was.
    As good as it was sixty years ago, technology has changed.

Adding light so you can see in the dark (because the dark is scary) and an optic isn’t tweakifying it’s adding capability. Having to buy a $100 + dollar side rail or fire arm to reliably add a modern optic is not optimal.

An iron sighted rifle with no light or provision for ir/night-vision is an obselescent fighting gun.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

By Jove, you're right, the darn thing does need a light. And me just sworn off duct tape.

Site Supporter
    By Jove, you're right, the darn thing does need a light. And me just sworn off duct tape.
    It’s an obsolescent rifle that is produced using obsolescent manufacturing techniques. Practice ammo is of mediocre quality and not produced domestically (subject to import bans). Many ranges ban any magnetic ammunition.

Until two or three years ago there were no domestically produced trunions or bolts of any quality. I don’t know if there are even 6 shops in the entire country I would trust to replace a shot out or damaged barrel, or do any repair that required removing or re-installing rivets. I think there are two companies who make quality domestic barrels. Want a narrow shank bolt for a Saiga? Sorry, they’re sold out forever.

I addition to the difficulty in addidng optics and lights that I mentioned earlier there just isn’t enough infrastructure for the system in the US. It’s a bad choice as a first rifle for someone getting started out in 2020 when equal or less money will get them a quality AR.

Sincerely- a dude who’s primary rifle and home defense long gun is still an AK, but who wouldn’t let a friend with no experience go down the same road. A lot has changed in 18 years.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

It’s not that difficult.

http://instagram.com/p/CC7RBeLJSkw/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Site Supporter
    What do we like for mags, say under $20 apiece?
    Last edited by Up1911Fan; 12-19-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    What do we like for mags, say u see $20 apiece?
    For that price, Eastern European steel.

Zastava USA has a Bakelite type bolt hold open mag with steel reinforced feed lips and locking tabs for about the price (ir 6 for $99).

For serious use the m3 mag pulls with steel reinforcement runs $26 to $29

Wow. I am astonished to see the current price of Bulgarian Circle 10 polymer waffle magazines. I had always considered them the gold standard for AK mags, but I can't believe they're $50 each now.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Since I haven’t seen them mentioned, and these guys are local to me, I’ll leave this link here:

https://occamdefense.com/

FWIW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Wow. I am astonished to see the current price of Bulgarian Circle 10 polymer waffle magazines. I had always considered them the gold standard for AK mags, but I can't believe they're $50 each now.
    *boomer rant warning*

I bought a bunch when they were $20+- which was borderline insanity then. Crusty but functional Romy mags were around $6 each too. They're just not worth $50 and up. Same with Bakes and Plums, people done lost they're damn minds. I blame the Zoomer larpers for driving the price up.

I've had good luck with Magpul AK mags, even the ones with plastic locking lugs and no steel reinforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Since I haven’t seen them mentioned, and these guys are local to me, I’ll leave this link here:

https://occamdefense.com/

FWIW.
    He's a good dude. I recognized him in town one day and spoke to him briefly. Nice guy, bigger in person than on camera and his hands are like catchers mitts.

User Tag List