Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P226 vs P229

I don't know what it was about the 9mm P229 I had, but it was unwieldy when compared to a P226. I have smallish hands (size 9/medium Mechanix gloves) and the P229 would also beat me up when I'd shoot it. After about 200 rounds I'd really start feeling it in my wrists. I don't have those problems with the P226.

I prefer the P226 it feels easier to shoot and there are a couple little quirky things that can make the p229 harder to work on. While it's not an issue with the E2 grips, the p229 in the .40/.357 format and new 9mm, there is not much thread engagement with the grip screws. It's easy to strip the threads and screws just don't like to stay secure. I thought the 1/3 height slide serrations on the old p229 were pretty cheesy. The old style slide and a stuck solid FPPP could be a real nightmare to get out because the side of the slide is not flat.

In plain clothes and concealment, the plastic base plates on the p229 magazines are easier on clothing and tend not to chew holes in the back of shirts and bolsters on car seats. The plastic base plates are also a little more durable, tend not to get ding up or peened in place when dropped at the range.

Having fired (but not owned) both the 226 and the 229, I personally prefer the 229. For me it feels like I'm faster in getting back on target with the 229, but since I haven't been on a timer with either, that could be subjective feel rather than objective results.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

I have fairly small hands and like the E2 grips. For me (in 9mm) it's 226>228>229, and it's all a matter of feel. Overall I like the 226 and 228 and dislike the 229. That being said, if I were getting a .40 caliber pistol I'd look for a 229 because they handle the .40 very well in my experience.

I agree. I picked up a P229 a few weeks ago and it’s the best shooting .40 I have ever shot. I can’t compare it to the P226 because I can’t pick mine up until later this afternoon.

I much prefer the 226 to the 229. I also prefer the standard grips over the E2s. I tried the E2s on a 226 and 228 and removed them from both. They tend to slide around a bit after awhile, or at least both sets of mine did. I have large hands so the E2s are not necessary for fit. I really dislike the larger hump on the left grip on the 229, and the balance. When it comes to SIGs, I strongly prefer the 226R. For the rare occasion I want a smaller SIG, I like the 239 over the 228/229. All these comments are about 9mm guns.

We are diminished
    FWIW, put me in the P229 camp. Having tested it pretty extensively during the five years I was at SIG, for me the P229 cycles faster, shoots flatter, and transitions from target to target faster.

Site Supporter
    I agree with ToddG. The 229 cycle speed was much faster for me too.. It was most noticeable with a hot ammo.

A forum member and USPSA 226 shooter has been experimenting with lighter springs to great effect with the 226. Makes me think the 226 is quite over sprung, and that might explain the perceived difference between 226 and 229.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We are diminished
    The P229 9mm recoil spring is heavier than its P226 counterpart, fwiw.

User Tag List