Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P226 vs P229

P226 vs P229

I picked up a P229 with reduced reach trigger, SRT and E2 grips.

I love the feel and handling of the SIG and was wondering from people that have both, do you prefer the P226 or P229 with the features I listed?

If you prefer one or the other could you explain why...

Thanks

Site Supporter
    I prefer the P229. For some reason I shoot them more accurately. Other than that there really isn't much of a difference. The 226 isn't any harder to hide than the 229 for concealed carry. I don't like the reduced reach trigger. While I have smaller hands, the standard trigger keeps my hands and fingers in the correct place and keeps them from getting pinched. E2 grips are a little more comfortable but I don't prefer them over the standard grips.

I vastly prefer the P226 over the P229. For me, the difference in "concealability" between the two is minimal. The P226 obviously offers more capacity, longer sight radius, and less recoil.

The biggest advantage, IN MY HANDS, of the P226 is in balance. The P226 seems to point extremely well and balance very well in my hands. The P229 feels "dead." Oddly enough, when you go back one generation, to the P228 and the folded-slide P226, I feel exactly the opposite. So, if I could have any classic Sig 9mm for free, I'd ask, in order, for a P228, a new slide P226, then a P225, and a P229 last.

Regards,

Kevin

I prefer the P226 only because I get pinky pinch with the P228/9 and SigPro models. As said above, the difference in size and concealment is minimal.

I've used and carried both for work. I've used and carried both for off duty and competition. All 9mm models. I prefer the 229. Conceals better and for me, tracks better when shooting fast.

My first duty gun at my agency was a 228. I loved that gun. Shoulda bought it when they traded em in.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I carried a P226 from 1997 to 2004. From 2004 to 2013 I carried the P229. So I have a little experience with both. I much prefer the P226 in the form of the MK25 when it comes to SIG pistols. It is hard to beat 20-round MecGar magazines and flush fit 18-round mags.

In 40 S&W the P226 doesn't have a capacity advantage over the P229. Despite that, I prefer the P226.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I'm one of those that prefers the 226. To me the 229 is an oddball, not much smaller than a 226 yet huge compared to a 239 (next size down).

I considered buying a P229 before settling on the P226. The length of the gun is a wash for me, and honestly I feel like the P226 balances a bit better due to the longer slide. Height on the P229 doesn't quite hit that G19 sweet spot, so to me there wasn't much of an advantage concealment-wise. At the time I shot them I didn't notice much of a difference in how they shot -- however, there are people far more skilled than I am who could give a better answer on that. I went with the P226, primarily for balance reasons. I don't regret it one bit.

The 229 in 9mm was my first ever pistol. I prefer the 226 due to slightly less recoil.

User Tag List