Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Surefire XC-1 compact WML

Could you support that hypothesis, please? It seems a bit of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Seems like auto-on for a WML would encourage use of the WML for things a handheld flashlight should be used for.
    Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Could you support that hypothesis, please? It seems a bit of a stretch.
    You talkin' to me?

If I understood correctly what was meant by "auto-on" -- i.e., you draw the gun and the weapon mounted light comes on -- then, well, you've drawn your pistol and the light is on, so use the gun to search for goblins.
    Yes, this is a bad habit that could be corrected with training, but how many would take the training?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Drang,

Yup, yup; I was addressing you.

I still don't follow why the light automatically engaging would encourage administrative use of the light any more or any less then a manually-activated WML would.

Does drawing the gun in a lit environment, activating such a WML, trigger searching behavior?

Does drawing the gun in the dark, against a known and identified threat, trigger searching behavior?

Improper usage of WMLs has been identified before; and their are significant trade-offs associated with reflexively-operated pressure switches that don't suit all niches well: but I am not following your correlation.

Could you elaborate upon what about automatic or reflexive operation of a WML compels or encourages the user to use it in a manner that deliberate operation of the same does not, or does differently?

Searching with a WML is for the most part a very bad idea.

WMLs that automatically come on from the holster would be even worse.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    talk about white light ND's while stuck in their military frame of reference
    And that's what it is: STUCK.

Free your mind, your ass will follow.

The civilian self-defense practitioner is not (say again NOT) trying to remain clandestine subsequent to an over-the-beach movement that followed swimming up from a submarine's bloody torpedo tube.

Nor is he/she trying to serve a warrant on the quiet.

"White light ND" really only belongs in the lexicon of the civilian practitioner on the basis of how Engrish-ing is something you should strive to do beyond the crushing limitations of public school reading programs.

MIL guys, get past the idea that everything is a damned L-shaped ambush or a Meeting Engagement; it's not. The principles cross-deck, the details of the idiom (atmospherics/environment) in which you're operating do not automatically do so.
    Last edited by JMS; 03-21-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    And that's what it is: STUCK.

Free your mind, your ass will follow.

The civilian self-defense practitioner is not (say again NOT) trying to remain clandestine subsequent to an over-the-beach movement that followed swimming up from a submarine's bloody torpedo tube.

Nor is he/she trying to serve a warrant on the quiet.

"White light ND" really only belongs in the lexicon of the civilian practitioner on the basis of how Engrish-ing is something you should strive to do beyond the crushing limitations of public school reading programs.

MIL guys, get past the idea that everything is a damned L-shaped ambush or a Meeting Engagement; it's not. The principles cross-deck, the details of the idiom (atmospherics/environment) in which you're operating do not automatically do so.

I understand what your saying but I still don't want to use a WML when not needed... If I have my light on constantly while in a fight, even in cover, doesn't that limit my ability to change position and confuse my attacker? It would be like a beacon to me yes?

fighting a L snapped ambush would suck with a pistol and two mags
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 03-21-2016 at 09:38 AM.

I *really* didn't frame that at all well, if you landed on thinking that I meant "turn it on and leave it on."

These things have momentary features for a reason, and anybody who's been in a nighttime fight knows that a flash of light, no matter how bright, isn't the Lo-Jack blazing "there he is!" arrow of doom everybody loves to make it out to be...just like how hand grenades aren't the pocket nuke warheads they're shown to be in the movies. Yeah, light gives you away, it's your job to learn how to mitigate that as best as may be done, whether that's sticking to momentary or learning how to remember to toggle the switch to OFF when it's timely to do so.

Constant-on is a one-handed-shooting feature, in my mind, and even then that's on the presumption of the lack of a DG capability...which this particular light doesn't have...which brings me back to how this particular light is great in terms of form factor, fine in terms of performance specs, but the switching is utterly undesirable to me. Which in no way means nobody should buy one of these things...yay, open market!
    Last edited by JMS; 03-21-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    I *really* didn't frame that at all well, if you landed on thinking that I meant "turn it on and leave it on."

These things have momentary features for a reason, and anybody who's been in a nighttime fight knows that a flash of light, no matter how bright, isn't the Lo-Jack blazing "there he is!" arrow of doom everybody loves to make it out to be...just like how hand grenades aren't the pocket nuke warheads they're shown to be in the movies. Yeah, light gives you away, it's your job to learn how to mitigate that as best as may be done, whether that's sticking to momentary or learning how to remember to toggle the switch to OFF when it's timely to do so.

Constant-on is a one-handed-shooting feature, in my mind, and even then that's on the presumption of the lack of a DG capability...which this particular light doesn't have...which brings me back to how this particular light is great in terms of form factor, fine in terms of performance specs, but the switching is utterly undesirable to me. Which in no way means nobody should buy one of these things...yay, open market!
    Oh I think we're in complete agreement. I'm waiting to see if they fix the switches before I even consider one

JMS,

That's a lot of hate and hyperbole there, don't you think?

Understanding that not-Mil/post-Mil and civilian self-defense don't wholly overlap, it seems that there are places where the application of light is desirably a deliberate and intended action. Hunting with a light mounted, the rarer pre-emptive draw from concealment, when using or moving between cover during active contact, and administrative inter-personal gun-handling come to mind.

There are far fewer penalties to unintended light activation, outside of the Mil world; the consequences are generally less severe, for those that remain. That does not, however, make WML-activation as a deliberate process vice reactive or automated, any less virtuous or desirable.

No, I do not think of that as "a lot" of hate and hyperbole.

User Tag List