Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, never seen THAT before...

Well, never seen THAT before...

Here's the sequence of events:

My primary M&P9, a 2009-bought one with a Storm Lake fitted barrel. Installed a new front sight, was getting the thing dialed in for windage @ 25. Freedom Munitions "new" 115gr RN, which I was using to get a general read on where it was printing (before confirming with 124gr GDHP).

First round in the mag fires. Next trigger pull is mush, instead of BANG. Started to do IA, but stopped myself, looked and saw that next round was hung up.

Bopped the backplate to see if it'd go into battery, no joy. Download, inspect that 2nd round to see if something about it was wonky. Nope.

Jam it back into the mag, re-insert into slidelocked pistol, attempt to drop the slide. Nuh-uh. Remove mag and round, try to do a chamber-check by just dropping the round into the chamber on it's own. No dice.

Decide to check for a squib, despite having not noted either audible pop or reduced recoil. Nope....but lo and behold, there's a visible line/rim about halfway into the chamber. Nabbed a thin punch from my range bag and teased out what appeared to be the "upper" half of a 9mm brass casing.

I didn't manage to save it, and spent some time fruitlessly searching for the "lower" half of it.

But, after reassembling everything and shooting for another little bit, it happened again. Cleared the chamber without having to disassemble, kept what I'd found. The case-rim end of the brass had thankfully landed on the table. Here's the evidence. The piece on the right was in the chamber, and I think I have it with the mouth facing up, judging by the marks.

That's a near-perfect, symmetrical cut across the width of the brass; there's no tearing, bulges, anything like that. I'm amazed, as the only case failures and whatnot I've seen, to date, all exhibited some kind of specific deformation, bulge, or asymmetric tearing.

My question is: What the HELL...!?

I suppose it could happen to any ammunition but 2 in one range session? I try to stay with Speer, Federal, Winchester ammunition.

That is certainly worthy of a phone call to Freedom Munitions. I have used 1000 rds of thier 147gr remanufactured, and was very impressed with it. Clean, consistant and on my with my handloads. I just received a case of thier new 147gr and noticed a ring around the case where it transitions from thick to thin. I have yet to shoot it so I don't have any empties. Here is a pic of new 147gr.
    Name:  tmp_20150118_215713-1894142735.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  65.7 KB

Well I decided to go pull a round, and see what was inside. You can clearly see the step in case thickness. Not saying it's good or bad, just showing.

Name:  tmp_20150118_221129-986242062.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  61.3 KB
    Last edited by CCT125US; 01-18-2015 at 10:17 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

The last 500 (and first time buying from freedom) I shot of theres had massive issues with bullet seating depth. It's so bad that now I take a tray out of a box and look down at the primer aide and just grab a few and throw them away. I'm sure they would shoot find but I wasn't going to try.

Site Supporter
    I ran across a bunch of that brass at my local range. I had a series of out of spec reloads from these "step" 9mm brass where the case bulged during reloading and the round did pass the go-no gauge and would not chamber in my M&P. I watch for these and toss them in the scrap brass box now.

JMS,
    This is the universe commanding you to get a CGW P-09.

(joking)

When it happens, it'll be an 07....which is what an 09 looks like to a frost giant with hands that can carry 112 plastic shopping bags full of soup cans without discomfort!!

("This just in, on your Tuesday evening: A large fellow just pounded an average-sized fellow into the floor of the NRA HQ range like tent peg, while participating in a local shooting competition. Full story at 11.")

JMS,

Do you have a close time frame of when you purchased the ammo?

I only ask because I have a case or so of that ammo sitting. Have not started shooting it yet because I am still burning up the reman I had.

Have shot Freedom ammo in the past and didn't have any troubles but this seems too odd with more than one failure.

Now I need to get them out for a quick visual check and maybe run the calipers on them.

Time-frame is to within two particular orders, the first placed 10/7/14, the other 10/14/14..... I'm presuming that the lot number is the lowermost number on the tag on the boxes, and not the bar-code: 9838-9272-20-05

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    That brass looks wronger than... well, a very wrong thing.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List