Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SKD PIG or Mayflower APC?

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    Wow Rob, 9 pounds per plate? Thats not bad for a grab and go. Looks like that kit is sewed up so its Steel plates and poly plates.
    My only complaint on that rig is that I wish the med or radio pouch (it can be had either way) was on the right-hand side and the two mags on the left-hand side. But if we establish that we're going to either (a) probably not need a spare mag or (b) have an emergency mag on a belt or in a pocket or (c) have a Redimag on a "home defense" gun (my personal preference), then having the mags on the off-side probably don't matter.

I stumbled across that rig recently, and from a civy/homeowner/shoot-house standpoint it looks ideal to me.

If they had the pouches set up the way I would prefer them, and they would sell to non-badged folks, I'd spring for the $1k rig with the 3.5 lbs plates Level III Standalone and sell off my current Mayflower rig.

It is seems great piece and need to remember sometimes having Armor is better than no armor like home invasion stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    It is seems great piece and need to remember sometimes having Armor is better than no armor like home invasion stuff.
    Since I do happen to have armor, I keep it staged in the bedroom. I have never once put it on in an emergency, but I know how to. I would not, however, buy armor just for that purpose. I keep my Mayflower slick (see above re: redimag on gun) but the design of the Mayflower vs. the First-On would make it much more difficult to put on with the chest rig attached (onthe Mayflower I'd have to lift bib, secure velcro, drop bib, secure back strap).

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Since I do happen to have armor, I keep it staged in the bedroom. I have never once put it on in an emergency, but I know how to. I would not, however, buy armor just for that purpose. I keep my Mayflower slick (see above re: redimag on gun) but the design of the Mayflower vs. the First-On would make it much more difficult to put on with the chest rig attached (onthe Mayflower I'd have to lift bib, secure velcro, drop bib, secure back strap).
    Like you, I keep my Mayflower LPAC staged with plates in my bedroom closet on a mannequin torso without the chest rig attached. I can don the carrier in about 10 seconds which involves fastening the elastic cummerbund. Things get a bit more complicated if I'm using the chest rig which I would rarely need in my home.

Either way, there are a lot of great options for the OP and everything mentioned in this thread is reasonable. If possible, I highly recommend that you try some on before investing in armor, especially if you are between sizes.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

What kind of plates are you using?

Probably neither. IMO both a impractical for 99% of non-military uses.

I used to carry a PIG plate carrier at work and hardly ever used it. The cummerbund and flap setup just takes too long to get on. I ended up selling it and buying an SKD Brigadine plate carrier and I've actually deployed it on for hot calls. One carrier is about as hard to put on as a wind breaker and needs one hand to secure, the requires two hands, a timeout and is a major PITA. Sometimes simpler is betterer.

I use the Velocity Systems P34 Triple Curve (ICW) over their concealment cut soft armor backers. I typically store my armor with the elastic cummerbund attached for rapid don/doff, but I have an extra MOLLE cummerbund for times that I need a chest rig. This setup is not cheap but it meets my needs of 1) concealment, 2) scaleable protection from Level IIIa up to IV with chest rig if needed, 3) durability, 4) comfort
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List