Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Effective RKBA Activism Possible?

I'm going to agree with Tamara on both counts.

Activism at the state level by state level organizations has been extremely effective in Ohio. In 2004 we has no concealed carry and some truly screwed up laws regarding local AWBs, firearm transport, etc etc.

Today we have state pre-emption, concealed carry that is as good as most in the nation, suppressors allowed for hunting, pistol caliber CF rifles allowed for deer hunting, castle doctrine, we accept every else's license without the need for reciprocity agreements, and many other improvements that I forget.

I also agree that we are not even close to being done. Here in OH we still need to declutter many of our firearm discharge laws to make sure that no one defending himself can be jammed up with those. We need to take our deadly force use laws from an arcane collection of court rulings to a codified set of laws like Florida's. We need to remove the duty to retreat. And we need to turn self defense from an affirmative defense that must be proven by the defendant to an absolute defense that must be disproven by the prosecution.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Today we have ... we accept every else's license without the need for reciprocity agreements...
    Thank you, Buckeyes! I've been driving from Indy to K-town and back via Louisville instead of Cincy for years because of that. I-74, here I come!
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I'm not sure how true this is in general. A lot of officials use the amount of contacts they receive on an issue as a way to gauge how a vote will affect their reelection chances.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    This is true. Some of the purpose of writing/speaking to them (preferably with lots of friends) on topics is to impress upon them how they might keep their jobs. However dialogue is also important, it's sometime bigger then 45 vote yes and 42 vote no.

A made up example would be: Majority votes for open carry, but there is concern that the mad maxers(see other RKBA thread) would scare off the $5,000,000 a season tourists revenues that our town/state needs. You need to be able to explain that those people are a small group who will move on to something else to bitch about, and that the streets will in fact NOT "run red with blood". Or that by allowing CC/OC, gun shops could cater to a new customer base thus generate more local revenues/taxes.

(When I say vote, I mean open to a vote)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Thank you, Buckeyes! I've been driving from Indy to K-town and back via Louisville instead of Cincy for years because of that. I-74, here I come!
    Make sure you check with Buckeye Firearms for the exact date the law goes into effect. Laws here go into effect 90 days after they are signed by the Governor AND are filed by the Sec of State. By the accounts I've read, sometime in mid to late March is go time.

User Tag List