Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New ATF guidance on SB15 braces.

New ATF guidance on SB15 braces.

Saw this posted over at calguns, thought I'd propagate the knowledge here:

"open_letter_on_the_redesign_of_stabilizing_braces "

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fil...ing_braces.pdf

The core info:

The pistol stabilizing brace was neither “designed” nor approved to be used as a shoulder stock,
    and therefore use as a shoulder stock constitutes a “redesign” of the device because a possessor
    has changed the very function of the item. Any individual letters stating otherwise are contrary
    to the plain language of the NFA, misapply Federal law, and are hereby revoked.

-- Michael

I want to be mad at the ATF for this. But I can't. I'm mad at the idiots who wrote all those "mother may I" letters about putting SB15s on Glocks and shotguns that clearly intended to end-run the NFA.

More thoughts here.

Well that sucks.

Am I also redesigning a Vltor if I put it on an AR pistol but only to balance it for SHO shooting? (Hat tip Mark )
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm still surprised this was approved in the first place.

Well, they haven't killed it. If you possess it and use it as an arm brace, you're fine. Meaning, if the local 5-0 catch you in possession of a sig-brace attached pistol but without a tax stamp, you aren't automatically going to face criminal charges for possessing an SBR. They're going to have to prove that you "remade" or "redesigned" the brace as a stock.

Meaning - not that I'm anyone's lawyer or anything - that maybe people should exercise discretion about taking and posting pictures of themselves shooting their "pistols" from their shoulders.

Thank all the dumbasses on YouTube and to all that sent in letters asking for further clarification(s).

I predict CAA saddle sales to skyrocket
    #RESIST

Where did I put that six pack of "I Told You So Stout?"

Site Supporter
    Stocks are on rifles. If you ask the ATF to approve your usage of something that is a brace as a stock; they're going to say that's a rifle. However, if it's a brace and you use it; sometimes from the shoulder. There's no restrictions on how to fire a pistol. But the moment you say it's a stock and ask to use it as a stock; it's over.

If you ask them can you set a firearm to shoot more than one bullet with one pull of the trigger. That's a machine gun.

They asked the ATF if this could be used as a stock and of course they said No. They have no choice.

User Tag List