Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy Efficiency Rating (AER)

Accuracy Efficiency Rating (AER)

TLG's post on his sub 1 inch groups with his new blaster, caused me to think more about something I have been considering for the last year. Why is it that the groups I can shoot from field positions, do not necessarily correlate with the inherent accuracy/precision of the individual pistol/ammo combination. For example -- my Sig 226 is way more accurate than my Glock 17, but offhand or kneeling at 25-100 yards, I shoot better groups with the Glock 17 with an OEM barrel.

Here is how I would test this. Shoot 3-4 five round groups from a rest at 25 yards, taking all the time in the world. Throw out the outlier group, and calculate the benched accuracy of your blaster and ammo. Then repeat the exercise shooting the same number of groups at 25 yards from offhand, shooting the group within 20 or 30 seconds. Compare the groups and calculate the AER, to figure out what percent of the guns accuracy potential you can achieve. I suspect this will vary by shooter ability, shooter preference, and the trigger characteristics of individual guns.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think this is a really interesting concept to test out. I don't know how many times I have seen people make comments to the effect of "pistol X is more accurate than pistol Y, but I can only tell the difference in bench shooting (or similar.)" I've experienced that myself too.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

This has been a question to me for a long time. I relate it as I shoot revolvers better. Not simply that Smiths are generally capable of outstanding mechanical accuracy, the National Match Colt I had would shoot stupid small groups from a rest, but I have never been able to shoot it or any other autoloading pistol with the same consistently good results as I can revolvers. I could hit prairie dogs way the heck out there with a Smith 41 (22 target pistol), but on movers, not so much.

In the past I've always shot better freestyle than what I could produce from a rest with a pistol @ 25yds. I'll try it again now that my shooting has improved, but it will be interesting to see. My numbers might show over 100% efficiency.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    In the past I've always shot better freestyle than what I could produce from a rest with a pistol @ 25yds. I'll try it again now that my shooting has improved, but it will be interesting to see. My numbers might show over 100% efficiency.
    That's the only flaw I see as well, often times depending on the bench rest accuracy may suffer. Interesting concept though if you could reduce the variables with benched shooting
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I have the same problems as you guys with benchrested shooting. When I try this, I'll probably do it standing and taking lots of time vs. standing and not taking lots of time.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    TLG's post on his sub 1 inch groups with his new blaster, caused me to think more about something I have been considering for the last year. Why is it that the groups I can shoot from field positions, do not necessarily correlate with the inherent accuracy/precision of the individual pistol/ammo combination. For example -- my Sig 226 is way more accurate than my Glock 17, but offhand or kneeling at 25-100 yards, I shoot better groups with the Glock 17 with an OEM barrel.

Here is how I would test this. Shoot 3-4 five round groups from a rest at 25 yards, taking all the time in the world. Throw out the outlier group, and calculate the benched accuracy of your blaster and ammo. Then repeat the exercise shooting the same number of groups at 25 yards from offhand, shooting the group within 20 or 30 seconds. Compare the groups and calculate the AER, to figure out what percent of the guns accuracy potential you can achieve. I suspect this will vary by shooter ability, shooter preference, and the trigger characteristics of individual guns.
    Very interesting idea, except that my groups from the bench are nearly always bigger than my offhand groups. I've been off of the range due to work issues for a while, and I plan to correct that this weekend. I'll shoot some groups in my tortoise-like slow fire style that you find so offensive, then compare them to groups fired at a somewhat faster pace.

Okie John

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Very interesting idea, except that my groups from the bench are nearly always bigger than my offhand groups. I've been off of the range due to work issues for a while, and I plan to correct that this weekend. I'll shoot some groups in my tortoise-like slow fire style that you find so offensive, then compare them to groups fired at a somewhat faster pace.

Okie John

Bench resting a pistol takes a specific technique in itself. The keys that I've found that help me really tighten my bench rested groups (and I have never done this competitively, so take it for what it's worth) are the following:

1. Make sure your target has a specific reference point to shoot at. A idpa/ipsc target from 25-50 yds where you can hardly even see the scoring lines is not a good one. Try a bullseye target, or put an orange dot or black horizontal line through the center of the target for an aiming reference.

2. Rest your wrists/hands on a sandbag.

3. Fire all shots in the group without taking your eyes off the sights or adjusting your grip. Do not fire a shot, then look at the target to see where it hit before firing your next shot. Likewise, don't fire a shot, then adjust your grip, then fire a shot, etc.

I am not suggesting any one way of establishing the baseline accuracy of your pistol -- could be laser, Ransom, bench or even your buddy shooting it. I seem to recall TLG testing a bunch of P series Sig pistols at 25 yards and getting one inch or so groups -- think he used a laser off of a rest.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We are diminished
    Correct, which is what I did for the Burton gun groups mentioned above. It's how I've always tested guns for mechanical accuracy (when possible) because it helps eliminate my eyesight as a factor and because it is very easy to see if you're moving the gun/muzzle off target during the trigger press.

User Tag List