Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 686 is a bug?

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post

If we were to construct such a set of rules though, what does it look like?
    Seems difficult to do with out eliminating something like the 26. Just thinking out loud here but what if criteria was created for size, capacity, and weight? Create a box the size of a 26. Restrict magazine capacity of automatics to 10 rounds or less and revolvers to 6 rounds or less. Restrict unloaded weight to around 23 oz or less. The rest of the rules would match up with SSP and SSR.

I think the key is restricting the weight and size of the firearm used.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I ankle carried a G27 in an Alessi for years, as well as G19s and G23s. What constitutes a BUG is certainly subject to definition and mission. We've wrestled with this in local clubs trying to get BUG/pocket gun matches together. As we kicked around rules, it was obvious that having a match truer to its spirit and intent required a well crafted guest list more than rule book.

If we were to construct such a set of rules though, what does it look like?
    Much like these:
    http://https://sites.google.com/a/le...on-association
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Link is broken. I suspect you were linking these?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I hate carrying any gun on my ankle, but I know a surprising number of guys and gals who carry G23's and even 1 who carries a G22 on their ankle.

fwiw, I shot a 3" SS K frame at the first BUG nationals. I chose it for a variety of reasons, one of which was that it was firmly within the rules. If its in the rules, it isn't a cheater gun. Period. Its a game.

Also, fwiw, I found the all SS construction to be a big detriment in many of the lighting situations that were presented. Given the power, or lack thereof, of the ammo I was shooting (also within the rules), I wish I had chosen my blued 442 instead. I've won money with that gun shooting plates at 50 yards, and I'm convinced I would have shot a higher score with it. But, as long as its within the rules, to each his own.
    I was really glad my gun had night sights on it that year. I thought you shot a steel j-frame, though, not a k-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I think the idea is to get rid of the obvious cheater guns like a 3 inch 686 while still leaving room for guns like G26s.
    Any word if they are going to change the semi-auto length rules too (3.8")? Hopefully my idea of using my FM Detective (Hi Power Compact) with a 3.7" barrel isn't in jeopardy.
    Last edited by Edwin; 01-18-2015 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I was really glad my gun had night sights on it that year. I thought you shot a steel j-frame, though, not a k-frame.
    If I had a steel J frame, that might have gotten the nod. Instead I used an old NYPD M64 that a good friend carried on duty (as a BUG, no less). Night sights would have been nice, but at the rate I was going, plain black was looking really good. I'll never use an all SS gun again, even for nostalgia.

User Tag List