Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 686 is a bug?

Site Supporter

686 is a bug?

So I decide the watch the SW Indoor Bug match on Shooting something with Jim Scouten. Looks like fun and we've tried to do that here.

Folks were shooting Shields, 642s, LCRs, G26s - reasonable. Then, Jim made an interesting comment. Well, for folks who want to win we see Jerry M. shooting a 3 inch 686 as it fits in the box. Oh, well.

As an side, I go to talk our retirement guy and I mention I want to have enough money to survive the Zombie apocalypse (like money would help - just a joke). He says you need guns. I say - those I got. So he says do you know anything about them. A touch. Well, he wants to get a gun for himself and his wife for home SD and his sons suggest a Glock 19 (fine gun) but he wants a revolver and we spend some of my financial counseling time explaining different revolvers and ammo. Now that's a good TX conversation.

My 4" 681 has been a "BUG", to my .308, while deer hunting...........

Name:  DeadDoe.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  62.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    My 4" 681 has been a "BUG", to my .308, while deer hunting...........

Name:  DeadDoe.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  62.3 KB
    I love that pic, much respect.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I don't think we have run a deer scenario at a local match. However, the berms are built into a wooded hill and every once in awhile a deer runs across the top of the berm cut. Must like to live dangerously.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I don't think we have run a deer scenario at a local match. However, the berms are built into a wooded hill and every once in awhile a deer runs across the top of the berm cut. Must like to live dangerously.
    One day 7 or 8 years ago, my team was doing subgun quals at SWAT training. So there's a dozen guys on line with MP-5s and a deer decided to prance across the range between us and the targets. I was surprised no one shot the damn thing. We just looked at each other like, WTF?
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

The deer at our local gun club are just as bad. They consistently ignore rifle fire to wander out onto the high power range.

To the OP: the original BUG rules said that any revolver with a 3 inch or shorter barrel is a BUG. That meant that Jerry's 686+ with a three inch tube was 100% legal. A lot of guys at the BUG match also ran 3 inch K-frames as their "BUGs."

According to HQ, they're going to rejigger the BUG rules before this winter's match to bring them more in line with what the spirit of the BUG is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The deer at our local gun club are just as bad. They consistently ignore rifle fire to wander out onto the high power range.
    While out at the NRA's Whittington (sp?) Center in New Mexico, we had several "range deer" wander around downrange pretty much all day long.

We also had a group of about 6 or 7 just sitting on some grass behind us and they never even flinched as we shot off a few hundred rounds that afternoon.

The rule is "Don't shoot the range deer"!!

All we get at our local outdoor range is raccoons in the trees and things like that.

AD

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    To the OP: the original BUG rules said that any revolver with a 3 inch or shorter barrel is a BUG. That meant that Jerry's 686+ with a three inch tube was 100% legal. A lot of guys at the BUG match also ran 3 inch K-frames as their "BUGs."

According to HQ, they're going to rejigger the BUG rules before this winter's match to bring them more in line with what the spirit of the BUG is.
    …and any semi with a 3.8" barrel or less. I wasn't there at the BUG Nationals but listening to the wingeing around the interwebs, it seemed folks were more put off by a couple mini-STI carry variants than the shorter barreled wheel guns. I don't know what "spirit of the BUG" is in IDPA's mind but I know a ton of coppers that carry G26/P9/239/MP9Cs sized pistols as BUGs daily to think the current rules express it pretty well.

It'd be a shame if they neuter it into a key-fob competition.

t

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    …and any semi with a 3.8" barrel or less. I wasn't there at the BUG Nationals but listening to the wingeing around the interwebs, it seemed folks were more put off by a couple mini-STI carry variants than the shorter barreled wheel guns. I don't know what "spirit of the BUG" is in IDPA's mind but I know a ton of coppers that carry G26/P9/239/MP9Cs sized pistols as BUGs daily to think the current rules express it pretty well.

It'd be a shame if they neuter it into a key-fob competition.

t
    I think the idea is to get rid of the obvious cheater guns like a 3 inch 686 while still leaving room for guns like G26s.

User Tag List