Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG MCX review

Something tells me the Virtus is to the MCX what the Legion is to the P-Series. Basically, you're getting a much better trigger, heavier barrel, M-LOk rails, and some color options for about $300-500 more.

Perhaps the heavier barrel profile will address the accuracy issues that some 16" 5.56 rifles had after strings of fire.

As for full ambi, that is a bit of a stretch since the bolt release is still left sided only. Why they don't make a full ambi lower like the IWS or their own MPX is a bit mystifying.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-01-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    As for full ambi, that is a bit of a stretch since the bolt release is still left sided only.
    Charging handle is ambi, brah.

Reminds me of when Todd said that Sig tried to market the classic P-series as being ambi slide release, because you can slingshot it with either hand.

I like the concept, and I like mine (Patrol, may get a .300 memeout barrel and suppressor depending on what legislation passes in the next few years)

The roll out was horrible. I've basically accepted having to fabricate my own handguards and other accessories. Not popular enough to have a good aftermarket. Doesn't look like it will be. I have no idea why they promised 7.62x39 capability when they had no intention of following up on it. The recall was weird. It's not an issue, I can't even get mine to do it dropping on a manually chambered round. Maybe it's just a blackout problem. I kept the original parts. I think the accuracy issues after strings of fire have to do with barrel swaps, out of spec torque, etc. It doesn't take much out of spec to cause an issue when you have heat expansion.

It's a fine, durable, reliable rifle that they tried to market as a lego kit, which was a mistake.

Site Supporter
    Geissele just announced an MCX specific trigger in the Facebook.

Site Supporter
    "The overall weight went up about 1.5 lbs. " I'd rather not. For me, the light weight of the original Patrol is a major plus. I've put more trouble-free rounds downrange the last few days. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    "The overall weight went up about 1.5 lbs. " I'd rather not. For me, the light weight of the original Patrol is a major plus. I've put more trouble-free rounds downrange the last few days. So far, so good.
    Sig lists the weight difference as 1 pound. Not a terrible penalty considering the heavier barrel and the longer rail.

The Sig MCX is a platform that I really want to do well as I see potential in it. Sig has to step up and maintain QC and support the platform. I believe that they released the gun prematurely. The recall was evidence of this along with a charging handle that had a 250 round service life.

Despite the over the top marketing the Virtus is a step in the right direction. The new rail and receiver interface will allow for more versatility regarding the gas system and barrel lengths. The trigger should be nicer, and I am not a fan of pencil barrels. Along with the new charging handle that all MCX rifles are shipping with, the Virtus fixes the issues I had with the first MCX I had and subsequently sold.

I even like the grey color. I see personally see it as a homage to the original SIG 550 series of guns(yes, I know Sig Sauer has little to do with SIG or Swiss Arms). I hate to say it but Sig Sauer will likely get my money on this.

The 300blk pistol turned SBR is what will get my money. Now the question is do I jump on board now or do I wait for gen 4 in another six months? Even Sig Sauer is listing "The Final Chapter" as being 30 days away.
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 07-05-2017 at 01:20 PM.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/08/22/sig-sauer-launches-mcx-rattler

Interesting little micro variant. That 5.56 version is going to be ridiculous, though.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 08-22-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Site Supporter
    I ordered a Sig factory replacement trigger on 05/26/17. Total cost was $114. The trigger arrived 06/10/17. The packaging indicates "Made in United States" but does not designate the manufacturer. Replacing the MCX trigger is much like replacing a standard AR trigger. If you've not replaced an AR trigger before, I encourage you to watch some instructional videos or have a smith do the work. The new trigger is much smoother and lighter. My trigger scale indicates an average break of 4 lbs 15 oz. Range testing to follow. From the Big Empty, ELN.
    FYI - The SIG factory replacement trigger was recalled ostensibly due to improper heat treat on some triggers. SIG notified me of the recall by email and included a pre-paid FedEx shipping label. The replacement for the replacement trigger arrived today - about 10 days turnaround. I will report back after it's been in use for awhile. Best, ELN.

Site Supporter
    Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I ordered a Sig factory replacement trigger on 05/26/17. Total cost was $114. The trigger arrived 06/10/17. The packaging indicates "Made in United States" but does not designate the manufacturer. Replacing the MCX trigger is much like replacing a standard AR trigger. If you've not replaced an AR trigger before, I encourage you to watch some instructional videos or have a smith do the work. The new trigger is much smoother and lighter. My trigger scale indicates an average break of 4 lbs 15 oz. Range testing to follow. From the Big Empty, ELN.

FYI - The SIG factory replacement trigger was recalled ostensibly due to improper heat treat on some triggers. SIG notified me of the recall by email and included a pre-paid FedEx shipping label. The replacement for the replacement trigger arrived today - about 10 days turnaround. I will report back after it's been in use for awhile. Best, ELN.
    Some follow-up on the trigger saga: As earlier posted, the OEM trigger in my MCX was very heavy. At SIG's suggestion, I replaced the OEM trigger with the SIG "Match Grade AR Trigger Kit". This trigger was a great improvement over the OEM trigger. However, some were reportedly improperly heat treated and recalled. Here is a photo of the recalled trigger:

Name:  SIG MXC 1st Replacement Trigger AR Match (recalled).jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  60.2 KB

At no expense to me, SIG replaced the recalled "Match Grade AR Trigger" with the SIG "Two-Stage Match Duo" shown here. The product package indicates "Made in United States" but does not state by whom. Installation was typical for ARs.

Name:  SIG MCX 2nd Replacement Trigger Match Duo.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  65.4 KB

Although I don't yet have any rounds down range with the "Match Duo" trigger, it feels very good. Average weight for the initial five presses was 4 lbs. 12.7 oz.

Name:  SIG MCX Match Duo Trigger Gauge Scale.jpg
Views: 1353
Size:  35.2 KB

I will report further after a few hundred rounds with the "Match Duo". Best, ELN.

I apologize in advance for the necro post. I found out recently that we are getting the virtus version of these in an 11.5 inch variety. I wanted to see if anyone had any follow up information on these rifles. They seem like a decent enough rifle but there is not a long track record with them and Sig doesn't have the best reputation for quality right now. Any further information from those of you who have been running them would be greatly appreciated.

User Tag List