Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JCN reviews the RDB-S

JCN reviews the RDB-S

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj
    I’d like to hear more about your impressions on the keltec bullpup. The RDB-S is the only variant in that line that piques my interest as a unique solution to downsizing the 5.56 without SBR’ing.
    As background, when I started with a home defense plan a number of years ago I thought it important to have the capability to defeat soft armor in case of prepared robbers.

I experimented with 300 blackout and 5.56. At that time, 300 blackout ammo wasn’t very consistent in expansion out of a short barrel weapon so I settled on bullpup 16” rifles.

Reason being that I could suppress them and still stay the same length as an unsuppressed AR.

One of the firearms I purchased in testing was the KelTec RDB-S.

Okay, I have to admit I did like the ad that was running at the time:

Name:  A0F56201-8BBC-48DB-B1E3-824606AA51A5.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  63.3 KB

But seriously, I wanted something for home defense that was light, portable, full rifle ballistics and small footprint so it could accept a suppressor without being unwieldy in a home defense situation.

It didn’t need to be 300 yard accurate, it didn’t need to run hundreds of rounds at a time or be able to run covered in mud wading through a jungle. It just needed to get through a few mags without choking and be easy to use in tight quarters.

Here’s a picture of my RDB and RDB-S together.

Name:  395A20B8-7909-44B1-92A9-D08072C3155B.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  38.9 KB

The self-defense SAR

Name:  3AD9D2FA-3C2E-4736-9F18-C158925C2D8E.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  68.6 KB

More to come. Please let me know if there are specific aspects people want to hear about.

Suppressor host

As a suppressor host the RDBs are awesome. The downward eject means no gas to face. There are no holes or vents anywhere in the area.

Name:  890EEB46-00C2-4D27-8A09-57F3253739B4.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  58.0 KB

It’s also roughly the size and weight of a short barrel AR.

I put an optic on and ditched the barrel mounted front sight in order to mount a quick release suppressor.

Here’s a video of me shooting rifle, badly.

Pro?:
    Form factor.
    Great trigger, sub-3 pound from factory. Crisp and short.
    Great suppressor host. No brass or gas to face.
    Easy to maneuver even with suppressor.

Con?:
    It’s a KelTec.
    I don’t like the cross pin safety for an HD gun.
    The hunting rifle type strong grip is hard for me to get “tactical” trigger speed and leverage that I’m used to as primarily a pistol shooter.
    The front sight is ridiculous.

It’s been reliable. And it’s fun to shoot.

If I had to pick a suppressed HD 223 rifle, I’d probably pick the X95 or the regular RDB.

is it shootable one handed? weak hand only?

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    is it shootable one handed? weak hand only?
    With or without a sling?

I checked

It balances really well by the trigger.

@pooty

Yes it could be shot weak hand one handed like a pistol I think.

If you could brace on hip you could definitely do hip shots.

Name:  22B6457E-7B27-4272-9E2D-ECB982348FC9.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  32.5 KB

Look at my massive forearms!!! I’m a beast!

Or maybe it’s fish eye from the camera, lol.

How have you found the reliability of the RDB, and the RDB-S?

I see positives, but having owned a K-T in the past, I worry about build quality affecting reliability.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    How have you found the reliability of the RDB, and the RDB-S?

I see positives, but having owned a K-T in the past, I worry about build quality affecting reliability.
    I’m not much of a long gun guy so I haven’t put them through a lot of rounds. They’re great suppressor hosts and seem to run well.

They do seem like they like being clean and oiled though.

I don’t think they’re made military grade but I feel like they would work under specific circumstances.

That being said I wound up buying a second Tavor X95 for home defense rather than use one of these.

Jams or misfeeds with an RDB are tough to troubleshoot in a stress environment due to lack of visualization.

Hope that helps with some context.

@JCN, the urge to fiddle around with a bullpup has brought the RDB-S back to mind. Any updates or changes to your pros and cons list?

Suppressor use is a non-factor for me.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @JCN, the urge to fiddle around with a bullpup has brought the RDB-S back to mind. Any updates or changes to your pros and cons list?

Suppressor use is a non-factor for me.
    I think I like the regular RDB the best because of the pistol grip.

But if you don’t mind the RDB-S Strong hand angle I like it a lot.

Thanks! I have very few rounds through them, but my perpetual problem with bullpups is the way they balance. That rearward bias isn't "normal". I suspect a vertical foregrip could help on the RDB but I don't know if it would work with the -S.

I'm this close to ordering a Trek-22 10/22 chassis and it has a similar grip angle to the -S so I think they would pair well on range trips. OTOH the RDB is only $20 more than the -S through my local pusher and might be more versatile. No idea what extra versatility it might have or why I'd need it but that's how my brain works.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List