Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG MCX review

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre044 View Post
    Indeed. Once we receive them and start running them, I will chime back in. We should have them before the end of the calendar year. No specific timeframe though. Hopefully they run well.
    Did your Dept get the MCXs ? If so how have they worked out ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Did your Dept get the MCXs ? If so how have they worked out ?
    I don’t work there anymore but between two county agencies fielding several hundred, they performed well. No catastrophic failures and they proved to be reliable. I had a little over 7k through mine when I left and I only experienced 1 malfunction which I attribute to a worn magazine and not the rifle itself.

There are some drawbacks that I found. The biggest issue was with rail mounted IR lasers. The rail has what I find to be an unacceptable amount of flex. A shift of 2-3 inches at 25 yards is fairly easy to induce with relatively minimal pressure on the rail. This can be overcome some by mounting the laser more towards the receiver but it’s not ideal. They’re also heavier than a typical DI AR.

Site Supporter
    I don’t work there anymore but between two county agencies fielding several hundred, they performed well. No catastrophic failures and they proved to be reliable. I had a little over 7k through mine when I left and I only experienced 1 malfunction which I attribute to a worn magazine and not the rifle itself.

There are some drawbacks that I found. The biggest issue was with rail mounted IR lasers. The rail has what I find to be an unacceptable amount of flex. A shift of 2-3 inches at 25 yards is fairly easy to induce with relatively minimal pressure on the rail. This can be overcome some by mounting the laser more towards the receiver but it’s not ideal. They’re also heavier than a typical DI AR.
    Thanks, I’ve heard about the rail being too light to hold zero with lasers. Apparently the rail supplied with the M 13 SURG kits is stiffer but of course sake doesn’t seem to sell it to the public.

Given the extra weight of a piston system I can understand Seguin wanting to make the lighter rail the default sense there are Few people actually running lasers, But it would be nice to have the option for those that do.

What length barrel were y’all running?

Did y’all have any accuracy issues ?

I understand some of the early MCX had a very light barrel profile and the longer barrels such as the 16 inch and 14.5 inch had some accuracy issues. Supposedly this was addressed with a slightly heavier barrel profile.

Thanks, I’ve heard about the rail being too light to hold zero with lasers. Apparently the rail supplied with the M 13 SURG kits is stiffer but of course sake doesn’t seem to sell it to the public.

Given the extra weight of a piston system I can understand Seguin wanting to make the lighter rail the default sense there are Few people actually running lasers, But it would be nice to have the option for those that do.

What length barrel were y’all running?

Did y’all have any accuracy issues ?

I understand some of the early MCX had a very light barrel profile and the longer barrels such as the 16 inch and 14.5 inch had some accuracy issues. Supposedly this was addressed with a slightly heavier barrel profile.
    We were running 11.5 rifles. The majority of them were around 1-1.5 moa guns. If you want one for the the novelty of a piston gun, they performed well for us. I still prefer my DI rifles though. I don’t think you would go wrong with one.

Site Supporter
    We were running 11.5 rifles. The majority of them were around 1-1.5 moa guns. If you want one for the the novelty of a piston gun, they performed well for us. I still prefer my DI rifles though. I don’t think you would go wrong with one.
    “The novelty of. Piston gun” in conjunction with my SIG LE dealer getting a few 16” 5.56 guns in at IOP pricing sparked my interest.

It’s a modular gun so theoretically if I like it I could do a form one and try to locate an 11.5” barrel.

“The novelty of. Piston gun” in conjunction with my SIG LE dealer getting a few 16” 5.56 guns in at IOP pricing sparked my interest.

It’s a modular gun so theoretically if I like it I could do a form one and try to locate an 11.5” barrel.
    If you get a good deal on it, I vote go for it. I just bought one of the new ruger made marlin 1895 SBLs which I have less than zero use for but I like them and I’ve always wanted a 45-70. I’m all about buying what you want.

Site Supporter
    If you get a good deal on it, I vote go for it. I just bought one of the new ruger made marlin 1895 SBLs which I have less than zero use for but I like them and I’ve always wanted a 45-70. I’m all about buying what you want.
    The price is right. Especially compared to a SCAR-16.

On another note.

I have a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 which I’ve had since the 1990s. You pretty much have to handload to make 45-70 affordable to shoot.

The price is right. Especially compared to a SCAR-16.

On another note.

I have a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 which I’ve had since the 1990s. You pretty much have to handload to make 45-70 affordable to shoot.
    You’re not wrong. I’ve found a few boxes of fed hammer down for what I consider to be affordable 45-70. I ordered a few boxes of Buffalo bore which I’m sure will be brutal to shoot. And I have 2 boxes or hornady 325s which weren’t awful. I’m just glad I won’t be shooting it a lot because $50 for 20rds on the low end of the spectrum is rough.

You’re thinking a rebarrel instead of a second upper? I’m watching for an 11.5” 5.56 upper to make my Rattler more versatile, and will probably form 1 it. It’s too expensive to travel with it as a pistol anyways, and I’m NY screwed (landlocked.) I think complete uppers may be easier to find.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

From my experience the MCX is the best thing going if you want a piston gun on an Ar15 lower.

User Tag List