Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: SIG MCX review

Site Supporter
    Well it appears there is a new barrel deflection issue with the SIG SPEAR rifles, at least the longer barrel versions. This affects both the LT and the new large frame . 308 models.

This was first reported by Lucas from T-Rex arms on a 16 inch 556 SPEAR LT. Essentially, if you push the barrel laterally it will deflect and not return to being centered.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsmmB...RlODBiNWFlZA==

A buddy of mine just picked up a 16 inch spear 308, we checked and it has this issue.

My understanding is Lucas from T-Rex arms is fan of the MCX, and he is saying he’s never had this issue with any of his prior generation MCXs including longer barrel models.

There seems to be two distinct issues - rail shift and barrel shift. Neither is good but the rail shift is probably the easier of the 2 to mitigate or work around. The barrel shift is perplexing because it actually seems worse than prior generations despite the barrel attachment being essentially identical across generations. Both issues are indictments on Sig’s inability to vet platforms before releasing them to the consumer. What will be interesting to see is the extent to which this issue affects military weapons.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    There seems to be two distinct issues - rail shift and barrel shift. Neither is good but the rail shift is probably the easier of the 2 to mitigate or work around. The barrel shift is perplexing because it actually seems worse than prior generations despite the barrel attachment being essentially identical across generations. Both issues are indictments on Sig’s inability to vet platforms before releasing them to the consumer. What will be interesting to see is the extent to which this issue affects military weapons.
    The SPEAR rail isn’t shifting but the barrels are on commercial guns.

AFAIK this only affects commercial guns.

My guess this will turn out to be SIG going cheap on either the clamp and/or the fasteners on commercial guns. Either they chose cheaper hardware thinking it was good enough vs .GOV guns (which SIG has a history of doing) or they went cheap on the supplier and got a bad batch of parts (which has also occurred with other SIG products).

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The SPEAR rail isn’t shifting but the barrels are on commercial guns.

AFAIK this only affects commercial guns.

My guess this will turn out to be SIG going cheap on either the clamp and/or the fasteners on commercial guns. Either they chose cheaper hardware thinking it was good enough vs .GOV guns (which SIG has a history of doing) or they went cheap on the supplier and got a bad batch of parts (which has also occurred with other SIG products).
    This thread makes me feel even better about divesting myself of Sigs, and not buying any more despite how "cool" the designs appear.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This thread makes me feel even better about divesting myself of Sigs, and not buying any more despite how "cool" the designs appear.
    Garbage is the price of innovation.

When it comes to the commercial Spear LT rifles, some absolutely do have rail shift. I know this because I have in my possession a 16” Sig Spear LT with a small amount of rail shift that was eliminated by 2 Arisaka ZRCs. I probably could have gotten away with 1 but 2 defiantly did the trick.

When it comes to the commercial .308 rifles, there are ample reports of both barrel AND rail shift floating around but I do not (and will not) have personal experience with this rifle…at least not until Sig gets their shit together.
    Last edited by Sensei; 06-13-2023 at 12:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    When it comes to the commercial Spear LT rifles, some absolutely do have rail shift. I know this because I have in my possession a 16” Sig Spear LT with a small amount of rail shift that was eliminated by 2 Arisaka ZRCs. I probably could have gotten away with 1 but 2 defiantly did the trick.

When it comes to the commercial .308 rifles, there are ample reports of both barrel AND rail shift floating around but I do not (and will not) have personal experience with this rifle…at least not until Sig gets their shit together.
    I’m not talking about the laser zero issue.

I’m talking about the people claiming that the lateral barrel shift issue is really rail shift and the the barrel is not actually moving.

I have seen this first on both the SPEAR LT 5.56 16” and my buddy’s SPEAR 308 16”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Name:  IMG_1339.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  30.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Name:  IMG_1339.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  30.1 KB
    I wonder that myself sometimes. For us, I’m guessing their ability to offer a complete system from a single manufacturer played a big role. P320s, P365Xs and XLs for the UCs and upper management, MPXs, Romeo 1 Pros for the P320s, Romeo 4Ts for the long guns, Romeo Zeroes for the P365s, suppressors for the MPXs, etc. It probably greatly simplifies logistics. I don’t even have a guess about all the military contracts because those are all separate. They didn’t award a contract for a system, they awarded contracts for handguns, contracts for rifles, contracts for LPVOs, etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/commen...t=3&utm_term=1

Sig Sauer’s response to the issue of barrel deflection is that most of the movement originates from the handguard. Otherwise, the small amount of barrel deflection caused by manual distortions is within spec for the intended uses of the gun.

Basically, nothing to see here.

Name:  IMG_0635.jpeg
Views: 607
Size:  71.2 KB

However, it reaffirms what I’ve been saying. There are 2 separate issues: handguard and barrel movements.

User Tag List