Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: new Raven holster

This does look interesting. I too appreciate Defoor. I will be interested in what Jay has to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Really? He's the person I think of when people talk about AIWB.
    I missed it then. I've never seen him use anything other than a Phantom. Never been to one of his classes though.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    It helped that it looked really well engineered.
    I actually came away with the opposite impression. Looks like it could be the star of a sequel to The Pentagon Wars.

I don't get modularity in these products. I think it only benefits the manufacturer, who then only has to make one holster body and a bunch of attachments, to no benefit to the purchaser.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Really? He's the person I think of when people talk about AIWB.
    Quick youtube search shows his switch to AIWB to be pretty recent, at least from what I'm seeing. November of 2013 and he was traditional 4 o'clock IWB with a stock Phantom.

I know since the pic of him and Michael at his house he's mentioned AIWB often to include a bike trip he made while carrying aiwb.

Prior to that he was back and forth too.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Modular holsters appeal to me because no matter how many times I've figured out, "This is what I want from now on," I eventually find something else that is just a little bit better in some way.

The modularity therefore appeals to me as a means of experimenting. I can't count how many holsters I own where I think, "Maybe this would be better if [tiny change]. Maybe. But I'm not sure enough that I want to spend the time and money to have a custom variation created with that tiny change."

Playing around with different configurations may therefore expose me to something new. Of course, it's arguable as to whether the individual configurations of this holster are unique enough to teach me anything, but I honestly feel like I've learned something from every holster I've ever used: no matter how good, bad, or multi-functional they were.

I'm very intrigued by the claw. I like the grip-tucking function of modern AIWB holsters, but can't deal with the extra bulge that most of them create. I'll be curious to see how the claw performs.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I missed it then. I've never seen him use anything other than a Phantom. Never been to one of his classes though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Quick youtube search shows his switch to AIWB to be pretty recent, at least from what I'm seeing. November of 2013 and he was traditional 4 o'clock IWB with a stock Phantom.
    I think the pistol class we did with him was fall of 2012 and I could swear he was using it then. I've seen it on his FB feed over the last couple years but I remember that I never paid it much attention or gave it much credence until I saw him doing it. We did almost the entire class concealed and that's an area he excels as an instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I like Kyle Defoor. He mentioned somewhere that he was working on a project with Raven but I didn't expect it to be appendix. I've never seen him do anything but behind the hip. The design definitely has a lot of flexibility.
    Same here. I'm a little taken aback by all of the little parts, but if it works then it works.

That said, I probably won't get one for a few months--bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Okie John

Pretty much everyone is referring to this as an AIWB holster, but RCS is not referring to it as one. It's clearly configurable for optimized AIWB, among other configurations.

User Tag List