Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: new Raven holster

Just got mine as well.

Ordered one as soon as I got the email based on my positive experience with the Phantom. Even though I don't use the Phantom as a primary any more, its modularity was an eye opening experience for me. By playing around, I found that things I thought I wanted in a holster, I didn't, and things I thought I didn't, I did. I like options, and these RCS rigs give a lot of options.

I've been running a G19 JM AIWB/George lately and I find myself questioning how much wedge and tuck I actually want...hoping to experiment a bit with this. To be honest, the claw was the biggest draw, as I feel the "skinny guy wedge" on my JM may not be bringing me to my full concealment potential. Printing (while limited) seems to be all in that grip end, as usual.

Additionally, I'm excited to have an option in the closet that will facilitate tuckable AIWB and G17 or greater slide length, even if it doesn't end up as my primary.

Did some draws and presentations. Feels smooth and generally good all the way around.

My initial impression is it seems to conceal the grip as well as the SME but without the bulge on the belt line and I can adjust it to have a higher ride height then the SME.

I'll continue to see how it carries the more time I get on it. Seems pretty solid.
    Last edited by EVP; 01-20-2015 at 06:36 PM. Reason: grammer

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    So.... it's only been an hour, but I'm fully in love with the claw: it's a skinny guy's dream. I don't even feel it there, so I don't anticipate any comfort issues, but time will tell. In the meantime, I'm just amazed at how much difference it can make without the all-too-familiar AIWB colostomy bulge.

After trying a few combos, my current configuration uses the claw, the wedge, and a single over-hook strut, mounted at the trigger area. The whole package stays very thin while still offering an amazing amount of tuck. No idea if I'll tweak it more in the coming days/weeks, but the only pieces that don't interest me are the extension wings. While it's likely that they are more durable than the older ACR, I've seen enough of those break to make me leery of wings in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I wonder if the extra length of the G17 model would pose any issues if used with my G19.
    No issues. I chose the G17 model with high sweat guard. Figured I can always trim the sweat guard down if I want, but so far I like it. My G19 carries great in it.
    In fact, I only ever carry my G19 in holsters made for a G17.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Thanks Byron and Kevin. Looking forward to some more reviews/impressions of this holster.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

I got the Universal one.

Now just waiting on my HD sights and I can be a baller.

Initial impressions: O_O

Started with just a single overhook at the trigger area. Concealability was on par with the JM, probably a bit worse. Super comfy; I can see now why people pass on the extra tuck with JM. I added the claw. Holy crap. Magic, pure magic. No change in comfortability, no belt area bulging, but massive concealability increase. Shirts I wouldn't dream of concealing with became passable, shirts I do conceal with are 100% invisible, even the slightly riskier ones. Then I put the rubber wedge in (the extra tuck). Speechless. Black magic. I am currently wearing a super tight shirt, form fitting, the kind that hugs everywhere on a skinny guy like me...and it's very nearly invisible. Past good enough to go out. If I cant it a tiny bit in, I get full invisibility. Shocked my better half. However, it screws the draw up significantly, so I compromised by canting back straight slightly.

tl;dr, my concealment wardrobe just massively expanded

Other notes:

The wedge leads to more felt pressure than without, obviously, but it is still extremely comfortable. Definitely more comfortable than the JM extra tuck. I attribute this to two things. 1) It's softer. 2) The placement and shape fits more naturally with my body contours.

The retention is really amazing. They've done something very special here, the marketing is not BS. I haven't touched the screw yet. It holsters tight with a firm click, but the draw almost had me second guess that there is any retention at all. If you slow down the draw you see that their description is spot on. All the tension happens in the beginning of the draw, and it is silk after that. Given how low and tight I'm running this, I will need to practice the draw to improve getting a fast grip, but so far it's acceptable.

I'm currently running it the same way Byron is. Happy with the high sweat guard, figured I'd trim down one or both sides if I didn't like it, but it's fine, and I definitely think the low would have been a bad choice given how tightly it tucks in against my skin with no undershirt. Only difference from Byron is I went with the 26/19/Universal since I run this really low and didn't want any extra length poking at my crotch/thigh. Plus, I like that it means I have a holster that can accommodate any length Glock if need be.

I'm going to run it this way for a while before fiddling any more or loctiting. The overhook is really sleek, offers a flatter profile than I am used to with the kydex loop, and blends in very well when I tuck my shirt in (yes, this is tuckable, and performs excellently that way). I haven't tried adding a second overhook yet, but don't think I will. Between the tuck, claw, and the supper flatness of the overhooks, it had me passing the nightmare "over-huggy-family-member" test with flying colors. The better half says she can't feel anything. No more nervous lean-in.

To summarize the whole experience, and extend Byron's words about the claw: it's a skinny guy's dream
    Last edited by GRV; 01-20-2015 at 07:50 PM.

I felt like assembly was a mechanical aptitude test -- which I barely passed. I can imagine a small cottage industry will form with an unemployed PF member buying these from RC, assembling them in the most likely configuration, and charging an extra $20.

I REALLY like the pad. Seems much more durable than the pads with the Keeper, for example, but still comfortable. My config is two struts, the pad and claw. First I tried it without the pad and claw and it bulged. After the claw and pad, good concealment.

The instructions mentioned soft loops, but my box didn't have any? Speaking of the "box," I liked the packaging.

I think this holster will appeal to the kind of person who disassembles their new gun before shooting it, and to those that like the idea of a holster that will work right, left and behind the hip IWB/appendix, all with the same holster.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Tinkering with conventional strong side IWB and settled on this after three tries. So my question to myself is: Does this do anything better than my leather VM2?
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 01-22-2015 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The instructions mentioned soft loops, but my box didn't have any? Speaking of the "box," I liked the packaging.
    Huh, you're right... I didn't even notice that. The website advertised them. Meh, I have some from the Phantom already and don't see myself using them. I imagine RCS will make good on it though, and I'd bet this is a widespread issue. Which holster length and sweat guard height did you get?

Agreed on the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think this holster will appeal to the kind of person who disassembles their new gun before shooting it
    Heh...funny you should mention that...

Direct comparison of RCS Eidolon to Milt Sparks VersaMax 2.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 01-22-2015 at 11:09 AM.

User Tag List