Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: new Raven holster

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    So what was the big idea?
    Whatever it is, I'd be happy to send payment right now.

In my experience so far I definitely prefer the claw of the Eidolon vs. added bulk to build grip tuck into the body of the holster. The bolt on wedge is a great idea but I'd really like some additional options...if the current wedge is a Medium, I'd probably prefer an XL or 2XL, and I'd like it to be softer and able to be placed more on the trigger guard side. I've taped additional foam onto mine. I also appreciate getting the attachment points off the thickest part of the holster (otherwise they are often the first thing to print for me).

In case anyone missed it (saw mention of it but no link in this thread), Kyle Defoor posted a pic of the upcoming height-adjustable soft loop strut on his blog a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    So what was the big idea?
    Sorry, got distracted with all the raging -- will continue this in the RR cliff notes thread.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    In case anyone missed it (saw mention of it but no link in this thread), Kyle Defoor posted a pic of the upcoming height-adjustable soft loop strut on his blog a few weeks ago.
    Look at that. I carry a G19 Gen4 in an Eidolon and a Vic Explorer too. Must make me an operator. In b4 it's cool.

So I've had more time with the Eidolon now. Here's some quick thoughts. The big plus for me is still the claw and the big wide soft tuck pad. This is the bread and butter of the super concealment. Holster makers take note: This is what it takes for a skinny guy to confidently carry a normal size gun in normal clothing. Well, at least for me. The JM tuck is just a different breed. For me the Eidolon version works much better. It keeps the gun in very tight and doesn't let it move much. The JM version can sort of get cancelled out if it sits in my groin and even when it sits on a flatter spot it doesn't provide as much tuck and not as much extra stability.

As far as comfort goes, I'm not sure that it's any more or less comfortable than my JM, just different. There were times that the JM extra tuck would get stuck in an uncomfortable spot. That doesn't happen on this, thanks to the wide and soft properties. But if it slumps too low the wide open mouth of the universal holster can dig into my leg and get uncomfortable like a blunt edge. The JM is more streamlined in this regard. The super tight tuck and claw of the Eidolon means that I have deeper marks in my skin when I take my gun off, particularly without an undershirt, and I do feel the gun press there more, but it's not too bad, definitely worth the concealment benefits. With both holsters, over time you find the spot and pants height that works best, and they both evolve to the point where you "forget you're carrying it" in a sense. I think this also has to do with your body getting used to the feel and your brain nullifying it over time.

Re the "blunt edge" point, I suspect the G17 length with the closed end might be a bit more comfortable, and I might pick one up in the future, but I'm glad I got this one because I've already used it with a G34 once and I like having the option.

I got my SIRT a few weeks ago. To my surprise, I find it more comfortable than my G19 in this holster. I know, I know, everyone says this about the G17 length. I thought my body would be the exception. I was *sure* I couldn't comfortably carry a G17 appendix. Boy was I wrong. As I've said earlier in the thread, you really don't know until you try when it comes to guns and holsters, which is why I like the option-heavy Raven gear. The G17 length sort of acts as a surrogate closed end, rounding out the open bottom where it sticks out past it. The extra length does seem to settle it into the right place better and keep it better supported. More importantly, I can conceal the SIRT basically just as well as the G19.....Now I have a hankering for a G17...

If I were to get my JM again, I'd get G17 length and normal G17 tuck. I think I should have listened to all the posts I read. I'm not sure if it'd print at the belt line, but the JM "skinny guy wedge" ironically compromises the most important thing for my skinny build: keeping that grip butt in tight. I'd probably also try to work with Tony to get a more dramatic and wider, softer version of the "extra tuck". When I get extra some cash, I'll probably reach out to him about this.

Now for the downsides on the Eidolon. Everyone has said it. I'm using the clip: At the high ride, I lose concealability. At the low ride, even my skinny fingers have a hard time getting in between the grip and pant/belt line, making my draws tougher. For now, I'm living with it and added some cant to counteract it. I'm looking forward to the future clip options though.

Also, although I love the thin, flat single clip, it is narrow enough to allow the gun the cant back and forth a bit more than I'd like. I'll have to think about this. I'm not sure I want to add the second clip. I'm also not sure if it is a big enough issue to outweigh the advantages it has over the JM-style kydex loop. It's a "different strokes" situation. The good news is that the tuck and claw keep the gun quite stable so as to not make this a big issue, but repeated draws and reholsters on the range can change the position a little bit.

That's where I'm at now. Still loving it. We'll see where it goes from here.

A month later.

I'm in a "hate" swing with the Eidolon right now. Working on my draws lately, I've come to realize how much the low ride option is screwing me. The cant workaround I alluded to earlier has actually caused me to form a bad habit in my draw, and it didn't actually address the real issue; it was just an illusion. SLG hit the nail on the head, the low ride is simply unacceptable from a draw perspective, and the high ride option blows concealment.

I have a very temporary workaround using the short "wing" attachment in an inverted fashion so as to lower the strut/clip by half an increment. However, this requires that I add the second strut for stability, which is hacky as it can't really be set at the same height. It has also introduced some comfort issues, and some issues with letting the claw do its job, which I've worked around by stacking up a bunch of o-rings under the claw.

I'm going to get my hands on some soft-loop struts with the ride adjustment and see if that helps things. At the very least, the Eidolon has opened my eyes about AIWB holster features and matured my preferences. While I won't get rid of it (like the Phantom, it offers many options and is great to have around), it may be time to take what I've learned from it and invest in another custom AIWB holster.

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    the low ride is simply unacceptable from a draw perspective, and the high ride option blows concealment.

I'm going to get my hands on some soft-loop struts with the ride adjustment and see if that helps things.
    Having the same issues, I ordered the ride adjustment soft loops (they come in pairs) from the site on Wednesday. Friday they showed up. It totally makes the difference. Since I can adjust them anywhere between the low and the high ride options, I've found just right, like Goldilocks and the porridge.

Quote Originally Posted by EChryst View Post
    Having the same issues, I ordered the ride adjustment soft loops (they come in pairs) from the site on Wednesday. Friday they showed up. It totally makes the difference. Since I can adjust them anywhere between the low and the high ride options, I've found just right, like Goldilocks and the porridge.
    I am seriously considering ordering this holster. If anybody else could comment on whether the soft loops solve the top high/too low issue, I'd appreciate it.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    I am seriously considering ordering this holster. If anybody else could comment on whether the soft loops solve the top high/too low issue, I'd appreciate it.
    They 100% solve the issue. Paraphrasing myself from another thread... On a 1-10 ride height scale, the clips offer you a choice between 3 and 7. The loops offer you any value from 1-10, including decimals.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    They 100% solve the issue. Paraphrasing myself from another thread... On a 1-10 ride height scale, the clips offer you a choice between 3 and 7. The loops offer you any value from 1-10, including decimals.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Great to hear. Thanks for your feedback.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

When I look at photos of this holster with the bear claw attached, it looks like during the draw of the pistol you could accidentally jam your knuckles into the point of the claw that's sticking up. Has anyone had a problem with this, or is the claw under the top edge of your belt and pants far enough that it's not an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by uechibear View Post
    When I look at photos of this holster with the bear claw attached, it looks like during the draw of the pistol you could accidentally jam your knuckles into the point of the claw that's sticking up. Has anyone had a problem with this, or is the claw under the top edge of your belt and pants far enough that it's not an issue?
    yes, with soft loops. No, with hard loops.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List