Page 97 of 168 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I often describe flying as hours and hours of sheer boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror.
    Same as police work.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    I'm missing something. Where was the drama in the dead stick takeoff video?
    It was a great video, highly entertaining, but it was obviously well within the capabilities of both the aircraft and the pilot. I didn't see anything risky about it.
    Yep, absolutely center of the envelope for that aircraft. We depart off 30 degree downslopes in single engine aircraft with the engine off, glide engine off downhill over inhospitable terrain and dead stick land on lake shores all the time. So routine, he didn't practice every element multiple times and all those tire tracks on the downhill takeoff area and lake bed were probably made by ATV's or others doing it for the first time. Keep moving, nothing to see here.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My vote is for: “Good Judgment depends mostly on experience and experience usually comes from poor judgment.”

Which is why I’m a fan of casual pilot meetings at the bar. This is where you learn from others poor judgment. That or the safety report.

My only off-airport landing was in an ASK-21 on the parade field at the Academy. Unremarkable and undramatic. Then we disassembled it, boxed it up into the trailer, and drove it back to the airfield. Based on this extensive experience, I’ll keep my trap shut.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

On a related note, I think one of the best things to come out of recent ORM/CRM is the concept of identifying and managing risk. We can train to manage and mitigate necessary risks, and train to identify and avoid unnecessary risks. Additionally, if we discuss/target some likely risks during the briefing, and they appear, then we are not surprised and have a plan in place to handle them.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    On a related note, I think one of the best things to come out of recent ORM/CRM is the concept of identifying and managing risk. We can train to manage and mitigate necessary risks, and train to identify and avoid unnecessary risks. Additionally, if we discuss/target some likely risks during the briefing, and they appear, then we are not surprised and have a plan in place to handle them.
    My last airline used your airline’s 2nd Gen crm Threat and Error management. I liked it better than my current company’s which seems less defined. Still we have come a long way from “do what the CA says”

I think we saw this coming:

Report: No turbulence during fatal business jet flight

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...light-98105092

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think we saw this coming:

Report: No turbulence during fatal business jet flight

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...light-98105092
    You predicted a trim issue. Can you elaborate on how you knew this because it is really weird? I am impressed the wings held on, but maybe 4G is within the business jet window?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    You predicted a trim issue. Can you elaborate on how you knew this because it is really weird? I am impressed the wings held on, but maybe 4G is within the business jet window?
    Severe turbulence can cause injuries, and throw things about the cabin, but doesn't usually result in fatal injuries. Further, based on the aircraft, the altitude and location it was flying, and the absence of severe weather, turbulence seemed less likely to me. What came to mind was this Greek Falcon crash that killed a bunch of passengers.

https://aviation-safety.net/database...?id=19990914-2

On the wings holding on, this can be quite a complicated discussion, and others can contribute, but I would be surprised if the wings did come off at 4 g's. For some interesting background, you might purchase the book, aerodynamics for naval aviators, which many people think is a or the classic reference.

https://aviation-safety.net/database...?id=19990914-2

In terms of minimum load limits, here they are for different aircraft types. The jet we fly, for example is 3.6 g's positive at gross weight.

Name:  51E78C92-E6DE-4F7A-B124-4EE5C80F31FA.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  33.4 KB

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    One thing to keep in mind about load limits is that the limits are what are considered normal operating limits where there will be no structural damage. There is another factor of 1.5 that will exist before structural failure is possible. Therefore for Normal/Transport category aircraft they should be able to pull 5.7Gs or more before things start falling off.

Site Supporter
    Damn. Lifeflight helicopter crashed not far from where I live today with 2 confirmed casualties from the crew.

https://www.al.com/news/2023/04/medi...by-county.html

Authorities spent Sunday afternoon and evening on the scene of a deadly helicopter crash in northeast Shelby County.

Lifesaver 4 out of Sylacauga crashed just before 5:30 p.m. off U.S. 280. Two male crew members were killed.

Shelby County Sheriffs Office Chief Deputy Clay Hammac said the medical helicopter crashed Sunday evening. The Lifesaver helicopter was requested to assist the extraction of a patient who had been hiking in the area and suffered breathing problems and chest pains. Deputies had set up a landing area for the helicopter.

User Tag List