Page 71 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I disagree. I've transported lots of violent offenders, including long transports, where restroom breaks were needed. Security concerns were mitigated by the fact the stop was not publicized ahead of time, and they can handle security without completely disrupting the business at the FBO.
    Have you transported an accused killer in a case that was receiving international attention? He was transferred to PSP custody from the jail, which was in the news, and PSP had previously said he would be flown back to Idaho, though they didn’t say how. The plane was easily trackable by the public, and in fact at one point, TMZ was reporting that the plane was over South Dakota.

Perfectly reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Nothing wrong with asking an FBO to clear out when transporting a high-profile prisoner like in this situation.
    Probably mostly worried about Jack Ruby's great grandson...

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    Given they kept referring the the PC-12 as a jet, I am guessing a lot of research was not done.
    C'mon it is powered by a P&W PT-6 prop jet!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Have you transported an accused killer in a case that was receiving international attention? He was transferred to PSP custody from the jail, which was in the news, and PSP had previously said he would be flown back to Idaho, though they didn’t say how. The plane was easily trackable by the public, and in fact at one point, TMZ was reporting that the plane was over South Dakota.

Perfectly reasonable.

International attention, no? Violent, with a variety of.security concerns, yes. It was unnecessary to disrupt the business for this. It could be handled without the "drama.". Even with flight tracking, it was not a plannef/publicized stop, so no pre-planning for an escape, or an attack on the prisoner could have been done. However, even if there had been publicity about a planned stop, they should have, and could have handled it in a way that would not disrupt the operations of the airport.

Unless you have some experience in prisoner transports, you really don't know what is reasonable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    C'mon it is powered by a P&W PT-6 prop jet!
    Kidding aside, the PT-6 exhaust does add a not negligible amount of thrust! (Insignificant compared to the prop system of course) I forget the exact amount but I believe it’s more than a single handful!!

ETA: I guess kidding not aside!

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    Given they kept referring the the PC-12 as a jet, I am guessing a lot of research was not done.
    I think "Jet" has just become the universal media term for a bad person airplane (sorta like SUV). This guy is bad, hence he flies on a jet.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Unless you have some experience in prisoner transports, you really don't know what is reasonable.
    I, and/or my agency, have had occasion to transport prisoners/fugitives, sometimes on cases that have seen state-wide, national, or international media attention, including an incident where federal law enforcement sources received intel there was potential for an attempt by gang members to "re-take" a prisoner. My agency also has the same make/model aircraft as PSP, and it is occasionally used for prisoner transport, though it is not the preferred method for a variety of reasons.

Feel free to PM me if you have anything else to add, so we don't derail the airplane thread further.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Name:  9D0B8CC7-7923-4A34-9F93-0521258F7D4E.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  36.5 KB
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I flew a PC-12 back and forth between AK and the east coast for six months, and it wore me out, especially going west. Slow and always in the weather in the 20's.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I flew a PC-12 back and forth between AK and the east coast for six months, and it wore me out, especially going west. Slow and always in the weather in the 20's.
    Oh geez...that had to be brutal. It’s brutal in a 73. Not much up there either....in case of....stuff. Hats off to you.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List