Page 58 of 168 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

Those are some hard videos to watch.

I'm pretty sure I saw that very Fortress fly over my home this past summer.

ETA: Last night on my way home from work, I listened to a "re-run" of a Terry Gross interview with a Tuskegee airman recorded in the mid-1990s, and the part they were at when I started on the way home was where he was talking about the terrible, helpless feeling he got when he saw a bomber take a flak round directly to the wing, the wing sheared off, and the whole plane spiraled to the ground, and he knew there was nothing he could do for them - and there was nothing the bomber crew could do for themselves. All that can be done is to watch them go into the ground.

I think watching those videos gave me a small hint of what that feeling must have been like.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 11-12-2022 at 04:47 PM.

From Twitter....

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    From Twitter....
    Far too early to be placing blame, but these flights are well briefed and well coordinated. It does appear that the P-63 lost the B-17 in the turn, but “blind spot” is not an acceptable excuse.

The B-17 involved was Texas Raiders. I went through that plane with my granddad, a B-17 pilot, when I was a little boy.

Just got that video texted from a coworker... Ugh... Sad for sure.

Reminds me of that 747 carrying MRAPs...theres just nothing you can do and you watch in horror.

...don't tase me, but I sometimes hate airshows.

RIP to all the aviators involved.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Speaking of old jets... flying a few days ago and heard what sounded like a T-33 in the pattern. Got them on video and could see the tip tanks.

Yesterday as I was driving near the runway it taxied by then took off. Pretty sure it was this guy, rolled down my windows to hear that old turbo jet action.

There's one around here someplace. I used to see an F-80 flying with Boing aircraft around Paine Field. Looked like it was used as a chase plane during test flights. One of my favorite old timers. I don't work around Paine field anymore so don't see anymore cool aircraft. Just the occasional Growler from Whidbey NAS.

A company at Paine field built a few ME-262's (same 40's era) and I took the gawkers tour one day during lunch. My lunch break may have run a little over but who knew.

Those pilots who died in that crash went out doing what they loved to do. Best way to go if your time is up. RIP
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-12-2022 at 07:43 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by wrmettler View Post
    I’ve lived in Arizona all my adult life. Traveled the state extensively. Visited Tucson frequently for both work and other stuff.

I got lost last week driving back from Bisbee when I left the freeway early. Ended up at an entrance to Davis Monthan AB, got turned around and got lost again. But while driving to somewhere I could recognize, I drove past a huge airplane parked next to the road. Wait, What? I had to turn around to make sure what I saw. It was a B-52, parked right next to a B-36, etc. It was the Pima Air Museum.

Holy Cow. Very damn cool. I always thought the Museum was the Davis Monthan Bone Yard, but I guess I was wrong.

I’m going back this winter around Christmas to spend the day and maybe get a tour of the Bone Yard on the same day.
    I lived in El Paso until I was 9 or 10. I saw one of the last B-36 bombers flying sometime around 1958. They flew right over our house, probably from Biggs.

Quote Originally Posted by wrmettler View Post
    I’ve lived in Arizona all my adult life. Traveled the state extensively. Visited Tucson frequently for both work and other stuff.

I got lost last week driving back from Bisbee when I left the freeway early. Ended up at an entrance to Davis Monthan AB, got turned around and got lost again. But while driving to somewhere I could recognize, I drove past a huge airplane parked next to the road. Wait, What? I had to turn around to make sure what I saw. It was a B-52, parked right next to a B-36, etc. It was the Pima Air Museum.

Holy Cow. Very damn cool. I always thought the Museum was the Davis Monthan Bone Yard, but I guess I was wrong.

I’m going back this winter around Christmas to spend the day and maybe get a tour of the Bone Yard on the same day.
    I lived in El Paso until I was 9 or 10. I saw one of the last B-36 bombers flying sometime around 1958. They flew right over our house, probably from Biggs. One crashed in the Franklin mountains just west of the AFB. Most of the the wreckage is still up there. I wasn't old enough to remember that.

https://davetzold.com/2012/07/08/b-3...ountains-1953/
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-12-2022 at 08:10 PM.

That crash is so sad. People doing something they love and that they have a passion for and it ends that way. Totally sucks.

User Tag List