Page 40 of 167 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

Vending Machine Operator
    I really enjoyed this thread. My contributions:

1.) I will never love any plane as much as the F-16. I grew up seeing the Thunderbirds every year with my folks, watching Iron Eagle with my dad, playing Falcon 3.1 and 4.0 simulators on PC. It still gives me such a thrill to see a fully kitted out Viper. I have a pair of books that track every evolution of the F-16 from the basic F-16A to the current Block 70 models used by UAE and Egypt. I love the F-16 more than just about any inanimate object.

2.) The original post (F-5E Tiger II) is also one of my favorites. When I watched Top Gun I wanted one of the "Mig-28s" not an F-14. No disrespect to the badass F-14.

3.) It's such a shame Russia sucks so much, because the Mig-29 and the various Sukhoi planes (SU-27, SU-33, SU-35, etc.) are so pretty to look at.

4.) I also have an odd love for civvie airliners. I pay $40 a year for the Flightradar 24 Gold app, and each time I fly I know every bit of information about my plane before we fly. I love noting the little differences - and honestly, the LACK of differences sometimes - between a 6 month old, 5 year old, and 15 year old airframe. Modern commercial air travel is a true mechanical marvel created by thousands of professionals following rules established by thousands of screw-ups and learning experiences. Fantastic to experience in that mindset. My favorites are the 757 and the 777, though I've had some great Airbus flights recently with newer A321s.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I pay $40 a year for the Flightradar 24 Gold app,
    https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ has real-time flight information that is outside of the FAA's tracking network. I've seen AF2 and the E-6B Mercury on it. I'm pretty sure that the commercial programs that use information from the FAA screen those out.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ has real-time flight information that is outside of the FAA's tracking network. I've seen AF2 and the E-6B Mercury on it. I'm pretty sure that the commercial programs that use information from the FAA screen those out.
    Fascinating how much information is available re: Ukraine on this site. Rivet Joints, AWACS, F16's, Eurofighters, assorted tankers, etc.

Tracking crop dusters over the eastern shore/delmarva the last few days has been interesting, too.

This site is a cool one. Just had a glance at the military traffic worldwide: there’s a B-52 orbiting over Louisiana, a drone over the AZ/ Mexico border and a couple of drones in the Med.
    Interesting…

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    3.) It's such a shame Russia sucks so much, because the Mig-29 and the various Sukhoi planes (SU-27, SU-33, SU-35, etc.) are so pretty to look at.
    They are good birds, no matter what you think of Putin. And heck the Ukrainian’s are putting them to good use so you can still love them. I think when all is said and done, the Su-25 is going to prove to be just as endearing to veterans of this war as the A-10 has been to our “wars of liberation.” Hell there is even video of Frogfoots dogfighting each other!

But - if you want Russian engineering in an American airplane you need go no further than the wonderful aircraft of Sikorsky and Republic (the P-47 was the child of former “Whites” of Russian and Georgian origin and Republic was originally the Seversky). Oh, and Igor Sikorsky founded his company with the help of a monetary gift from the composer Sergei Rachmoninov.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Oh, and totally aside the point - I just discovered that a newer release from the movie soundtrack to the Right Stuff is on Spotify. That movie was a defining film of my life and I have loved the music that Bill Conti composed for it but was always disappointed that it lacked the score from when Yeager took the F-104 for a spin (my favorite part of the movie). Well - Spotify has it!

Oh - and God how I love that F-104 Howl!

Last edited by Suvorov; 08-16-2022 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Oh, and totally aside the point - I just discovered that a newer release from the movie soundtrack to the Right Stuff is on Spotify. That movie was a defining film of my life and I have loved the music that Bill Conti composed for it but was always disappointed that it lacked the score from when Yeager took the F-104 for a spin (my favorite part of the movie). Well - Spotify has it!

Oh - and God how I love that F-104 Howl!

One of the greatest movies and books ever! Then again I've been airplane mad since I first toddled. My viewpoint might be skewed....
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    They are good birds, no matter what you think of Putin. And heck the Ukrainian’s are putting them to good use so you can still love them. I think when all is said and done, the Su-25 is going to prove to be just as endearing to veterans of this war as the A-10 has been to our “wars of liberation.” Hell there is even video of Frogfoots dogfighting each other!

But - if you want Russian engineering in an American airplane you need go no further than the wonderful aircraft of Sikorsky and Republic (the P-47 was the child of former “Whites” of Russian and Georgian origin and Republic was originally the Seversky). Oh, and Igor Sikorsky founded his company with the help of a monetary gift from the composer Sergei Rachmoninov.
    I performed Rachmaninov pieces for years in all state choir and have been a aircraft nerd my whole life and never knew this. Extremely cool fact, thank you for sharing. Great point about Ukraine using the Sukhoi and Mikoyan aircraft to great effect as well. Besides, we're gun people, I should already know that it's not the fault of a tool if a psycho wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    That's very cool, thank you for the link.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Favorite quote from the book The Right Stuff came from one of the Gemini guys. He was zipping around in orbit and was asked “How’s it going up there?”

His reply: “Pretty good. Another thousand feet I should be on top of this stuff.”

Classic.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Favorite quote from the book The Right Stuff came from one of the Gemini guys. He was zipping around in orbit and was asked “How’s it going up there?”

His reply: “Pretty good. Another thousand feet I should be on top of this stuff.”

Classic.
    I don't remember that line. Guess I'll have to reread the book. Thanks, pal (like I don't have enough on my plate&#128516

User Tag List