Page 4 of 170 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

F105 Thunderchief running wild weasel missions in Vietnam.
    The Fairley Swordfish, the little biplane that took out the rudders of the mighty Bismark.
    Junker JU87 that featured automatic dive brake that would pull the plane out of dive since the pilot would often blackout.

Site Supporter
    The old PBY Catalina flying boat always turns my crank, for some reason.

Not as fancy as any of the planes posted so far, but I enjoy our Remos GX.

That's my reloading bench on the right.

The PB4Y Privateer squadrons did a lot of anti-shipping missions in the Pacific.
    The B2's grandpa, the YB-49.
    A1 Skyraider for ground attack.
    B58 Hustler supersonic bomber.
    B25s and B26s because the heavies get all the glory in the movies.
    Fokker D. VII
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Hardly an unrecognized aircraft, but the F-4 Phantom must always be mentioned.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    B58 Hustler supersonic bomber.
    Aw, yiss...

Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

A long time ago when I was a teen and reading Cooper's Corner, the Colonel recommended a book from his friend Barrett Tillman. The book had fighters (F-20s), war, and custom Browning High Powers. I just ordered a replacement copy for cheap Curious to see if the book withstood the test of time but it's a sentimental purchase at this point.
    #RESIST

My dad was in aviation by the time I was old enough to realize what him being in the Army was. Was neat to grow up in some of the places that he was stationed. I recall they were still using O1s and O2s during that time frame.

For just the cool factor I tend to really like WWII prop planes. As a kid I have been in places where I got to see things like F4s taking off on an alert.

Our PD range is inside the fence at Forbes Field. Every single day there is an air show. I had to alter my teaching style on that range because nobody can compete with something like a B1 coming in for a touch-and-go, or a T38 going near vertical at take-off. We have a B17 that visits a few times a year. That is always cool to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Damn, that's sexy.
    #RESIST

My grandfather was a glider pilot in the Army air corp during world war 2. They found out quickly that it was a really bad idea and he never had to fly a combat mission. It's really interesting to listen to him talk about it. He's in a museum somewhere in Texas that I want to visit one day soon.

I worked on catapults aboard the Nimitz in the early '90's. My favorite plane to launch was the Tomcat. That may have been a bit of a Top Gun hangover though. My least favorite to launch was the intruder. I swear that thing was so loud that my teeth would rattle. It was almost painful to be next to when at full throttle.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List