Page 3 of 167 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    F20 and B1B. LIKE
    My first day in the Black Hills, I woke up to a massive explosion.

Whilst running to the window to see the damage, I instead noticed a long black jet on takeoff with all 4 burners lit. Thats a sound one never forgets, and its a glorious one.The office building I worked at was a good 4 miles from the runway, and my desk still vibrated when the B-1s hit the go pedal.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    My first day in the Black Hills, I woke up to a massive explosion.

Whilst running to the window to see the damage, I instead noticed a long black jet on takeoff with all 4 burners lit. Thats a sound one never forgets, and its a glorious one.The office building I worked at was a good 4 miles from the runway, and my desk still vibrated when the B-1s hit the go pedal.
    I lived in Wichita less than five miles away from McConnell AFB when the Kansas ANG flew the Bone.

I too remember the first time I ever felt/heard B1s lighting it up on their way out. The cats were running for their lives and I thought the SHTF.

It was always cool to watch them take off in the desert. The afterburners were some amazing. Never really got old. Just gorgeous planes...even look beautiful when they are broke on the flight line.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

I don't know a whole lot about planes but I know my dad used to fly, among others, one of these:

It was his favorite, and he flew it armed with effin' nuclear missiles which is awesome.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I really love the DeHavilland Beaver. I once interrupted a huge meeting on the twenty-somethingth floor of a downtown office block to make everyone come to the window and watch a Beaver land in the harbour.

"Everyone stop talking!" I shouted. "Is that a Pratt-Whitney Wasp? There's a radial engine Beaver coming in for a landing!"

Humourously I was by far the least important person in the room but I was so enthusiastic that everyone got interested and came over to watch.

The other funny part about that is that for all the people who work on the twenty-somethingth floor...they probably see it ten times a day. Their offices and the boardroom up there all face the bay. But nobody else really gave it any thought because nobody there was excited about dhc2s.

Apparently there are a couple of people there that still watch the planes land now.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

P51 of course, a fabulous plane...love it.

But SR71 for technical innovation and brilliance. Attachment 2977

For pure firepower, amazing robustness. To my mind one of the best engineering for a specific purposes ever...the A10 Thunderbolt II. Attachment 2978

For beauty - the P38 Lightning Attachment 2979

For early technical innovation in the golden age of aviation. The Gee Bee R.Attachment 2980

For planes I could own an O-2 or Cessna 337. Attachment 2981

And who can resist a Sopwith Camel? I would love to have a replica of one. Attachment 2982

I always dug the Panther, ever since seeing The Bridges at Toko Ri for the first time.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    The Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola is pretty awesome too...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Pensacola is amazing. The Battleship Alabama memorial in Mobile has some meat panes there too...although everything there was sad,y neglected last time I went.

My high school history teacher was a retired Air Force colonel and he flew a Douglas A-1 Skyraider during the Vietnam War. He was an awesome guy and a personal hero.

User Tag List