Page 11 of 168 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Twin booms...................

Those are drogues, not booms.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Love me some OV-10 action. I always thought that plane would be a blast to fly with the high wings and bubbled out cockpit. If anyone is down south of Austin in San Marcos, TX it's the home of the Commemorative Air Force(AKA the Confederate Air Force). It's totally free and open to the public. The have a B-24(fully operational),a slew of other aircraft and a neat museum. The really cool thing is the old guys that fly and restore the planes are usually working on the planes in the hangar which you can walk around freely(walk right up to the planes, no ropes or other BS). They are really, really nice folks. My most recent visit was taking my son to see a visiting B-29:

I was in disbelief that they left the old girl out on an unsecured area of the tarmac and we were the only people there. It was surreal to be alone with something that carries so many stories....
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 01-25-2015 at 12:46 AM.

Here's one that never was, but could have been seriously awesome: XF-108 Rapier.
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

My favorite never-was (ever since I saw the G.I. Joy toy): the Grumman_X-29.

I like x-planes in general, too. Some bonkers stuff there.

Not an airplane, but this was an idea in the Cold War. ACH-47 Gunship

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    Love me some OV-10 action. I always thought that plane would be a blast to fly with the high wings and bubbled out cockpit. If anyone is down south of Austin in San Marcos, TX it's the home of the Commemorative Air Force(AKA the Confederate Air Force). It's totally free and open to the public. The have a B-24(fully operational),a slew of other aircraft and a neat museum. The really cool thing is the old guys that fly and restore the planes are usually working on the planes in the hangar which you can walk around freely(walk right up to the planes, no ropes or other BS). They are really, really nice folks. My most recent visit was taking my son to see a visiting B-29:

I was in disbelief that they left the old girl out on an unsecured area of the tarmac and we were the only people there. It was surreal to be alone with something that carries so many stories....
    I ponied up and flew in FiFi a couple of years ago. I've flown in other warbirds, but the B-29 was awesome.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Saw a couple of my favorites at the excellent Royal Air Force Museum in London when I was on a job there in 2011:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  51.4 KB

My Granddad with one of his B-17's, around 1944.

My Dad...I was flying the photo plane.

One of the genuinely coolest things I have ever done in my lifetime was spend a day at Columbus AFB as a pilot-slotted AFROTC Cadet and take an orientation flight in a T-37 with an Instructor Pilot. The year was 1990 if I remember correctly.

The training on ejection procedure was very memorable. Was allowed to perform a Top Gun-esque barrel roll all by myself. The Combat Landing was even more memorable, it was like a corkscrew ride on steroids! Somehow managed to not barf.

Was scheduled to hang out at a F-15 base the next summer, but lost my slot during Bush the 1st's military cuts after the Reagan boom years.
    Last edited by tanner; 01-12-2016 at 03:29 AM. Reason: bad at remembering years...

Site Supporter
    Swedish J-29 Flying Barrel. Set several records and saw combat in the Congo. I agree with Tam on the Hawker Hunter for a beautiful design. Made a model of one when I was a kid.

User Tag List