Page 132 of 170 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1694

Thread: Airplanes

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    if you like the 500 you might enjoy it also.

I also really enjoy this thread but from time to time need to remind myself I am an unrated schumk with ~15hr in a Citabria and maybe only three solo flights...
    I’m a child of the 1980 - A certain black and orange Hughes 500 as well as a black Bell-222 will be forever etched in my mind.

As for your second point - nobody here is a schmuk. Being a child of the 80s who came of age in the mid 90s and wore glasses and had no money, every door to sexy airplanes I knocked on was slammed in my face. It was only through dogged stubbornness combined with sheer stupidity I ended up flying 737s. I’m reminded every time I go to work just how lucky I am and how humble I need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I’ve always wondered how the 500 flies compared to the Jet Ranger? Obviously the two are similar on paper but I always found it worth noting that the 160th SOAR opted for the 500 over the Bell when the Kiowa as already on the books. I have also heard said that Lady Bird Johnson’s stock in Textron may have had something to do with the Jet Ranger becoming the Kiowa. Nothing of this take away from my admiration of the Jet Ranger but does make me wonder as other than a few observer rides, my helicopter knowledge it relegated to the Rotor Flight Manual, Microsoft Flight Sim, and Radio Control

I envy you rotor heads…….
    I learned to fly helicopters in a Jet Ranger at Bell. I have about 1,000 hours in the Jet Ranger/Long Ranger, which I first flew before the 407 and 250 or so hours in a MD 530F. A Jet Ranger and 500 have the same power plant, a similar empty weight, a similar gross weight and carry the same number of people. Beyond that, they fly completely differently.

The Jet Ranger has a semi rigid two blade rotor system, with hydraulics, and has what is affectionately known as same day response. The 500 has a fully articulated rotor system, no hydraulics, and is incredibly responsive. While not approved in the RFM, MD and Boeing demo pilots routinely looped and rolled the 500. The skid system is rigid on the Jet Ranger, and you want to gently land the ship to avoid a "kerplunk." The 500 skid system is hydraulic and very forgiving.

The 500 is 15-20 knots faster than the Jet Ranger at the same fuel burn. The Jet Ranger can have AC, and with the 500 you take the doors off! With the front doors off, the not to exceed speed is 69 knots in the Jet Ranger, and 130 knots in the 500. The Jet Ranger is more comfortable for rear seat passengers, and has a rear baggage compartment. The 500 can have tremendous visibility for the pilot, as you can see in the ship we are flying. You appreciate flying a Jet Ranger and you adore flying a 500. A number of helicopter pilots I know say the 500 is the best flying helicopter ever made.

Name:  Attach1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  36.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’m a child of the 1980 - A certain black and orange Hughes 500 as well as a black Bell-222 will be forever etched in my mind.

As for your second point - nobody here is a schmuk. Being a child of the 80s who came of age in the mid 90s and wore glasses and had no money, every door to sexy airplanes I knocked on was slammed in my face. It was only through dogged stubbornness combined with sheer stupidity I ended up flying 737s. I’m reminded every time I go to work just how lucky I am and how humble I need to be.
    Damn the earworm...

no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Damn the earworm...
    I also have the indelible memory of the intro scene with TC sitting in the jungle contemplating if his last #00 shell was going to be enough to save his bacon...

I was a child of the 70s, it would be my recollection that there were even more barriers for a nearsighted guy with no money. In my case my parents also offered zero support, so I had no money and no support. At this point I guess I have outed myself to all the hackers trying to guess the answer to that Dream Job question on my bank account login...

I have also seemed to have deferred expensive endeavors until I thought it was financially responsible to do it (flew my ~15 hours when I was too dumb to know I couldn't afford it, then we bought a house), resulting in embarking on things when I was past my prime. Like road racing motorcycles when I was almost forty... Or starting three gun matches in my sixties...

So now I could afford to go to some club flying, but now I have some cardiac baggage. Cardiologist says I would probably be good, but i am pumping the brakes (ETA: not worried about my abilities, I went out and bicycled 100mi after I recovered, but once you were near death they keep a record of it...). Light Sport is always out there, and flying to breakfast is all I am interested in anyway. But there does not seem to be many LSA to rent, not ready to buy. But if I try to get a rating, it might either be expensive (extra tests) or it might get nixed, and I am screwed on LSA. And do I go get an expensive medical and rating that I will only probably use for ten (maybe fifteen) years? Probably not a smart financial decision, but it just feels like unfinished business.

And oh by the way, my friend that is maybe the most frugal guy I grew up with has all of a sudden gone out and bought at least three planes (172, 210, Pitts replica, he might have some shares in some I do not know about), so I am kinda getting my nose rubbed in it a bit. And he is at just an awesome little local airport that just seems like where I want to hang out.

But right now I have decided to not decide, I plan to retire in a couple of years, will revisit then. But sure am glad to lurk here!
    Last edited by mmc45414; 11-16-2023 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I learned to fly helicopters in a Jet Ranger at Bell. I have about 1,000 hours in the Jet Ranger/Long Ranger, which I first flew before the 407 and 250 or so hours in a MD 530F. A Jet Ranger and 500 have the same power plant, a similar empty weight, a similar gross weight and carry the same number of people. Beyond that, they fly completely differently.

The Jet Ranger has a semi rigid two blade rotor system, with hydraulics, and has what is affectionately known as same day response. The 500 has a fully articulated rotor system, no hydraulics, and is incredibly responsive. While not approved in the RFM, MD and Boeing demo pilots routinely looped and rolled the 500. The skid system is rigid on the Jet Ranger, and you want to gently land the ship to avoid a "kerplunk." The 500 skid system is hydraulic and very forgiving.

The 500 is 15-20 knots faster than the Jet Ranger at the same fuel burn. The Jet Ranger can have AC, and with the 500 you take the doors off! With the front doors off, the not to exceed speed is 69 knots in the Jet Ranger, and 130 knots in the 500. The Jet Ranger is more comfortable for rear seat passengers, and has a rear baggage compartment. The 500 can have tremendous visibility for the pilot, as you can see in the ship we are flying. You appreciate flying a Jet Ranger and you adore flying a 500. A number of helicopter pilots I know say the 500 is the best flying helicopter ever made.

Name:  Attach1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  36.8 KB

My dad had a significant amount of time in both. He always said the 500 was his favorite helicopter.

His career ended in a 206. Everyone lived, but the unmarked wire cost him his medical.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    But if I try to get a rating, it might either be expensive (extra tests) or it might get nixed, and I am screwed on LSA. And do I go get an expensive medical and rating that I will only probably use for ten (maybe fifteen) years? Probably not a smart financial decision, but it just feels like unfinished business.
    Can’t take it with you……

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Nimslow View Post
    Everyone lived, but the unmarked wire cost him his medical.

Surprised it didn’t cost him his head!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Nimslow View Post
    My dad had a significant amount of time in both. He always said the 500 was his favorite helicopter.

His career ended in a 206. Everyone lived, but the unmarked wire cost him his medical.

That looks terrible. Certainly glad everyone made it. Out of curiosity, did that Jet Ranger have a wire strike kit, and if so did it do anything positive?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That looks terrible. Certainly glad everyone made it. Out of curiosity, did that Jet Ranger have a wire strike kit, and if so did it do anything positive?

No, they didn't have a wire strike kit. That was back in 1980, they were still pretty rare in the civilian world then.

I'm convinced the reason they all made it was because they ended up in the water. He bent the collective past the up stop pulling, but never remembered any of it.

He didn't have his shoulder harness sinched up, had he done that, he probably wouldn't have been hurt as badly.

I still think about getting my commercial helicopter after I set the brake in the Boeing for the last time, just because. But it's pretty hard to justify "just for fun".

Since we're on Helos, I found a couple of dad (and my sister and I, in the first one) from the way back machine.

A friend of my first officers got this one of us on the way out in San Juan a few years back. My dad passed before I made captain at the majors. I wish I could have given him just one ride in the 73.

User Tag List