Page 84 of 168 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

There used to be a website called Plane-A-Day and every day they had a different picture featured. There's no telling how many pics I saved to various screensaver and background folders. I'd forgotten about this one until it randomly popped up on my work computer today.

Name:  Lockheed_U-2_Dragon_Lady_030829-F-0000W-001.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  79.1 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Lol. Scrubbing the Dragon Lady
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It’s a sad and continuous story of medical transports flying in conditions that prove too much. When I was flying freight I would speak to the crew of a Bell 222 that did air ambulance out of Ukiah. Not long after I left for the commuters they were lost trying to save an auto accident victim during a typical heavy California winter rain storm. I understand where the drive to do it comes from and it makes more sense than risking your life for cancelled checks but it is always tragic.

The Care Flight crash is local to me. They're usually a very careful operation.
    I'm told that if you google the tail number you'll find a youtube with the flight track and some radio traffic. I haven't done so yet, not sure I want to. SMEs might glean some intel from it though.

https://carsonnow.org/story/02/25/20...severe-weather

Tracking, which can be seen in the video and in the photo above, shows that the plane began losing altitude, down 5,500 feet in 29 seconds.
    The plane takes a sharp northwest turn before dropping from radar. The plane was later found a short distance away from where it disappeared, to the southeast.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Lousy weather inbound, but gorgeous flying wx this morning in the desert.

Where do you fly out of Phoenix? I would love to go up with you sometime.

I got to hang out at the AOPA fly in in Buckeye last weekend. I was slinging our flying club membership. It was mostly talking to old guys about how cool their Bonanza is, but there were also a bunch of really interested and hungry teenagers. I told the parents I got my private pilot when I was 40, but I should have done it when I was 15.

The airshow was pretty cool. I wish I got video of a guy landing a cub on an ambulance outfitted with a platform.

Name:  BXK - 1.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  55.4 KB

A couple of excerpt from a Reno Gazette Journal article on the Care flight crash that I can't seem to link properly:

" At the time of the flight, visibility was under two miles with a cloud ceiling about 2,000 feet above ground, according to the National Weather Service. It was also snowing steadily in the area. Winds were around 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph from the north/northeast.
    In the Reno area (the departure airport), there was a forecast for moderate icing, turbulence and instrument flight rules from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m., according to Jonathan Leffler, chief of the domestic operations branch at the Aviation Weather Center."

" Other medically related helicopter crashes in the region:

These are the area’s fatal crashes of medically related flights in the past four decades: June 21, 1987: A Rockwell Turbo Commander 690 airplane plunged into Bridgeport Reservoir near Bridgeport, Calif., killing pilot Delmar Baer Jr., 42, of Carson City, and nurse Linda Montgomery, 38, of Reno. It was Care Flight’s first fatal crash. The National Transportation and Safety Board attributed the crash to pilot-related factors, including improper altitude, disorientation and possibly fatigue.

Nov. 27, 1991: A Care Flight Aerospatiale SA 316B helicopter crashed near Bridgeport killing pilot Al Larson, 44, registered nurse Kathy Ohran, 36, emergency medical technician Don Matteoni, 32, and patient Bobby Franco, 33. The NTSB determined it was due to a failure by the helicopter’s tail rotor drive shaft and drive shaft bearing.

Dec. 31, 1992: A Medic Air Rockwell Turbo Commander 690B airplane en route to Susanville to pick up a cardiac patient crashed near Honey Lake, killing pilot Gary Miller, 51, and nurse Therese Yarbrough, 28, both of Reno. The NTSB blamed the crash on severe turbulence.

March 21, 2002: A Mountain Lifeflight Eurocopter AS-350B heading to Susanville crashed into Honey Lake after delivering a patient to Washoe Medical Center, killing pilot Raymond Watson, 50, of Janesville, Calif., and seriously injuring two other crew members. The NTSB blamed the pilot for not keeping sufficient altitude, possibly relating to glassy water making it difficult to judge altitude.

Aug. 21, 2004: A Bell 407 helicopter, operated by Access Air of Boise, Idaho, was traveling from Battle Mountain to Washoe Medical Center with a patient when it crashed near Battle Mountain, killing pilot Roger Morrison, flight nurse Lisa Landers, flight paramedic Todd Hellman, patient Deanna Preston-Crum, 11 days old, and her mother, Alicia Preston-Crum. The NTSB blamed the crash on the pilot’s failure to maintain clearance from the mountains.

Nov. 14, 2009: A Mountain Lifeflight Aerospatiale AS350BA helicopter crashed near Doyle, California after dropping off a patient in Reno and returning to Susanville, killing pilot James Bradshaw, 39, flight nurse Clinton Reger, 40, and paramedic Christopher Ritz, 37. The NTSB attributed the crash to the pilot’s spatial disorientation while flying on a dark night."

They left out a fixed wing crash in upper Whites Creek in winter of 1980. An air ambulance with pilot, two nurses, a doctor and an infant crashed in severe turbulence and mountain wave en route from Reno to San Francisco. The infant was killed but we rescued all the adults.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    The Care Flight crash is local to me. They're usually a very careful operation.
    I'm told that if you google the tail number you'll find a youtube with the flight track and some radio traffic. I haven't done so yet, not sure I want to. SMEs might glean some intel from it though.
    I’ve lost too many friends over the years to listen to that stuff anymore. The older I get, the less I like even reading about it. By the Grace of God go I.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List