Page 45 of 168 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    My kids got to see the space shuttle, piggybacked on a 747. The 747 was so slow gaining altitude with that payload, it felt like an earthquake.
    I was lucky enough to watch 1 shuttle landing and then too lazy to get out of bed early in the morning for the next one (it was dark anyhow). I did get the double booms for both events. Seeing the shuttle land was pretty cool. You get used to watching airplanes land on Runway 22, usually at a tame 3 degree glideslope. Can't remember what the shuttle did but it was steep and looked like it was going to crash.

I have 2 pictures I took of STS-111 getting loaded on to that 747. We were housed "Slimeball" row but I was lucky to have a window behind me where I could see this stuff happening. I think I have shared some pictures of the SR-71s (including the trainer) that were parked on the ramp.

Lol - I swear I'm not making this up, but I also worked in Wichita and lived in the slums off McConnel AFB during the reign of the Bone! We used to call it Afterburner Thursdays and the windows would rattle in my apartment. It was glorious! This was back in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...atplane-crash/

Bet a dollar the tail section failed, as have other Otters converted to turbine power.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I was on the North Ramp (T-3) in LAX the day they brought the shuttle in for transport to the permanent display. In true LAX form, the controllers gave them the “bank shot” right turn onto the 24R ILS for their initial flyby. Someone obviously failed to edumicate ATC on the finer points of flying that thing. They promptly overshot final and S-turned their way down. We were all standing there on the grass along “D” taxiway laughing our asses off knowing what those guys were handed. Doing a go-around would be above and beyond embarrassment, so they did their best to punt. It worked but it wasn’t pretty. Somewhere I have stills and the video of it from my phone.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    I was lucky enough to watch 1 shuttle landing and then too lazy to get out of bed early in the morning for the next one (it was dark anyhow). I did get the double booms for both events. Seeing the shuttle land was pretty cool. You get used to watching airplanes land on Runway 22, usually at a tame 3 degree glideslope. Can't remember what the shuttle did but it was steep and looked like it was going to crash.
    14 degrees or steeper, I think. They had a Gulfstream tricked out as a trainer. The left side of the trainer had Shuttle controls. From what I remember, they threw out the spoilers, put the engines into reverse and down they went.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

How has this not made the thread?

I think this is one of the most beautiful airplanes ever.

Name:  Dual_Beechcraft_Model_17_Staggerwing_aircraft.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  99.9 KB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    How has this not made the thread?

I think this is one of the most beautiful airplanes ever.

Name:  Dual_Beechcraft_Model_17_Staggerwing_aircraft.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  99.9 KB
    Right up to the point that the owner needs to rebuild the wings and recover the airplane.......
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Right up to the point that the owner needs to rebuild the wings and recover the airplane.......
    Only a big deal if you can’t do it yourself.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Years ago, a buddy of mine was taxiing a week old B757 for takeoff at Chicago Midway. When they did the control check, the control yoke became stuck in the “full right” position and could not be brought back to neutral. There is a cam device that is designed to “decouple” the two control column yokes and allow them to operate separately. That didn’t work either. (Not that they would have taken off that way, but they attempted to straighten it out anyhow.). Back to the gate they went. The airplane was subsequently towed to the hangar where the MX guys started poking around.

They found a rigging tool in the wing.

This is the spar for a horizontal stabilizer. Airplane was 9mo old. Crew experienced a jammed stabilizer while configuring for landing. They landed safely with partial flaps. When they took it to the hangar, this is what they found. That frayed cable you see was improperly routed off the assembly line.

Name:  6F88489F-40DA-4500-B78F-39E1F46C8D64.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  58.1 KB

There’s all kinds of ways things can go sideways....
    Last edited by entropy; 09-08-2022 at 03:46 PM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Long as we are discussing what can go wrong:

We picked up a Jet Ranger from annual, and when opened the compartment with the tail rotor gear box, found a pink shop rag in there.

My wife and I picked up a Cessna T206 from a safety update on the pitch trim system. When we reached 11,000 feet in cruise and leveled off, we couldn't keep the plane from climbing without pushing on the yoke. Maintenance had installed the replacement trim part backwards or upside down.

Another Jet Ranger, they were doing maintenance and dropped a single nut in the engine intake area. They looked forever and couldn't find it. My friend flew the first flight with it and had an engine failure resulting in a successful auto rotation. Murphy rules!

User Tag List