Page 139 of 168 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 1677

Thread: Airplanes

I was thinking about that Osprey, and it's pretty paint job as Charlie and I headed out cub flying first thing this morning. I gave her a minute to get ahead of me so I didn't have to eat her wake turbulence for the first few hundred feet and headed west. All of a sudden, I saw a C130 at an intercept angle for me just a few hundred feet above. I ratcheted down the seatbelts and went over unusual attitude recovery in my mind because it seem like I was going to get their wake. Fortunately I didn't. On the way back in, I took a picture of the C130 that was apparently came to fix the Osprey. Then while putting the cubs in the hanger, we saw a 210 with a turbine conversion land hot and porpoise its way down the runway. Never a dull moment in aviation.

Name:  IMG_6069.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  84.2 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We saw a V22 Osprey with a terrific green paint job parked at our airport. Turns out it is part of the Presidential Osprey squadron. It came in with a mechanical and is waiting on repairs.
    Yep, you and @rayrevolver are correct- those are the HMX-1 V-22s. The mixture of S-3s/ H-60s are “White-Top” helicopters with the V-22s (“Cage”) being used for the squadron logistics and general personnel movements. While never having flown the HMX V-22s, I put some time on these…
    Name:  IMG_5946.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  51.3 KB

The Presidential Osprey is still parked. I took this picture this morning, while Charlie was flying, and was amazed that the fixed wing in the ramp was perfectly centered in the air vent of our left door, like a bomb sight.

Name:  IMG_6077.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  43.4 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"Pardo's Push"...

https://avgeekery.com/farewell-bob-p...sh-in-vietnam/

A truly amazing feat of airmanship.

RIP warrior.

-Rainman

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    "Pardo's Push"...

https://avgeekery.com/farewell-bob-p...sh-in-vietnam/

A truly amazing feat of airmanship.

RIP warrior.

-Rainman
    Met him in 1988. Great warrior, great American.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I was also lucky to have met him, along with Steve Wayne, Earl Aman, and Robert Houghton, in 1996, at Randolph AFB. They were all kind enough to take time to talk with a very young/naive 2Lt. They all signed my print of "Pardo's Push," by SW Ferguson.

RIP LtCol Pardo.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I was also lucky to have met him, along with Steve Wayne, Earl Aman, and Robert Houghton, in 1996, at Randolph AFB. They were all kind enough to take time to talk with a very young/naive 2Lt. They all signed my print of "Pardo's Push," by SW Ferguson.

RIP LtCol Pardo.
    Found another article that has an video interview with Pardo plus a short video simulation. There's also more on his background/upbringing as well as post-incident happenings (including the near court-martial)...

https://www.expressnews.com/news/loc...h-14047872.php

Enjoy.

-Rainman

This was pretty cool to see up close. KAEG.

Tower: Cardinal 2837X, make way for the... um... helicopter.

The helicopter:

Name:  IMG_2156.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  89.7 KB

Any one know why they would be hanging out at a GA airport instead of the Air Force Base 10 miles away?

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    This was pretty cool to see up close. KAEG.

Any one know why they would be hanging out at a GA airport instead of the Air Force Base 10 miles away?
    Ah Double Eagle. I have never been there myself, but they used to fly CV-22s around there all the time. Not sure why the Army decided to drop in.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Ah Double Eagle. I have never been there myself, but they used to fly CV-22s around there all the time. Not sure why the Army decided to drop in.
    Based on several cross country trips on CH-47's the FBO has amenities or there is a good restaurant nearby. I'm pretty sure we overnighted in Smyrna a couple times simply because the FBO had a loner car for the pilots.

Our local airport has a steakhouse with a pretty good reputation (not as good under present owners as the old IMO) and you see Air Force Texans as well as Army and USARNG helicopters on the tarmac outside the restaurant all the time.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List