Page 128 of 168 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1677

Thread: Airplanes

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    From Aviation Week but behind a pay wall.

Philippine Air Force Claims F-22 ‘Kill’ With FA-50

in an exercise and a gun camera picture of the F-22 taken from the FA-50.
    Yeah, like Suvorov described these can't be taken without context. Scenarios are used to simulate a specific situation in a vacuum. The reduced RCS aircraft might be mandated to use a Luneberg lens, not allowed to use any number of avionics/sensory equipment, one side gets omniscient AWACS while the other gets limited-to-no datalink support, scenario starts at a merge instead of BVR, etc etc. It shouldn't be taken as representative that a given platform will smoke the other platform.

Sort of like a jet I'm a unabashed fanboi for, the JAS39 Gripen. When you're artificially fed information to feed your Meteor missile (information that none of the JAS39 operators are capable of generating in real life), it doesn't matter that your own radar has half the detection range or less of the missile's actual range...and all the sudden it looks really impressive to an outsider when in reality it's just a fixed scenario for a specific purpose.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Interesting, TGS - so Brazil is a major Grippen user. Who would have thought and they are selling a two engined jet transport to a number of folks. When I traveled a lot in little jets, I thought the Embraers were more comfortable that those little Canadian jets.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Man bites dog, Skyraider kills MIG...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Random question: how can the time of useful consciousness after rapid depressurization be shorter than the amount of time you can hold your breath?
    Have you ridden in a chamber and had some Physiology Training? If you have at least a student pilots license + FAA Medical, the FAA will give you the training for free. Just sign up and get to OKC. Amazing that its free and a good time*.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/...ami_enrollment

Don't chose the PROTE, which is a reduced O2 "room" vice the actual chamber. With the chamber ride you will get a Rapid Decompression scenario.

* But not really.

Apparently there is a chamber in Tempe at ASU. Not FAA affiliated but part is some program. I think they will let you go there and try it out if you let them record data. I don't have a link or an exact contact, so if anyone knows I would like to check it out. I have heard it mentioned a few times around the airports here.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I doubt it. While the program may not be a favorite of the Ds, the fact is that with it the .gov is able to cover thousands of flights a month for chump change. The fact that current events heighten the likelihood of terrorism makes the program all the more important.

But it might mean they tighten up the applicants. I hear they even let people of mongrel heritage fly armed…..
    Last edited by Suvorov; 11-01-2023 at 06:33 PM.

Every time I fought F-22s, I got clubbed like a baby seal! Not a fair fight. My guess is they rigged the rules of engagement for a certain reason.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Every time I fought F-22s, I got clubbed like a baby seal! Not a fair fight. My guess is they rigged the rules of engagement for a certain reason.
    Annnnd…cue the Dos Gringos music…

https://fox8.com/news/i-team/possibl...hopper-i-team/

COLUMBIA STATION, Ohio (WJW) — The FOX 8 I-Team has uncovered new developments surrounding exclusive video aired last week showing shots fired from a helicopter at a local gun range.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List