Page 67 of 168 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Good question. I didn't see the capacity listed in the RFM, and don't have the maintenance manual readily available. The level was still about half in the sight glass, so I am assuming ounces not quarts sloshed out. My Bell friends tell me that the Jet Ranger transmission will run 30 minutes with zero oil, but I am glad we didn't need to test that.
    I was going to say I thought I remembered 30 minutes with no oil from my Bell 206 days. But that was some years ago. I DO remember having to preflight that cap prior to every flight.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I was going to say I thought I remembered 30 minutes with no oil from my Bell 206 days. But that was some years ago. I DO remember having to preflight that cap prior to every flight.
    What was your procedure for preflighting -- did you remove it and reinstall, visually see it was on, twist or something else? The engine oil cap is notorious for not being properly sealed and blowing oil everywhere.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    So is the 30 minute number the amount of time without damage or the amount of time before catastrophic failure?

The 206/OH-58 has always been one of my favorite aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    So is the 30 minute number the amount of time without damage or the amount of time before catastrophic failure?

The 206/OH-58 has always been one of my favorite aircraft.
    I believe the transmission seizing. A low transmission oil pressure annunciator is going to be very expensive if it is on account of low oil quantity.

Site Supporter
    What was your procedure for preflighting -- did you remove it and reinstall, visually see it was on, twist or something else? The engine oil cap is notorious for not being properly sealed and blowing oil everywhere.
    Best of my memory, we opened the access and tried to turn the oil cap in the tighten direction. It shouldn’t move any more in the tightening direction when properly closed.

I’ll be able to find out tomorrow exactly what the current preflight practices are.

Best of my memory, we opened the access and tried to turn the oil cap in the tighten direction. It shouldn’t move any more in the tightening direction when properly closed.

I’ll be able to find out tomorrow exactly what the current preflight practices are.
    With our cap, it has to be tightened all the way, then at the very end it clicks when it is fully secured. Interestingly, the RFM says nothing about the detent/click. And, if the cap is properly secured, you won't get a click if you twist on it.

Also want to make sure you aren't describing the engine oil reservoir which is accessed through a door and the transmission oil filler which you reach down along the mast from the top of the helicopter.

Site Supporter
    With our cap, it has to be tightened all the way, then at the very end it clicks when it is fully secured. Interestingly, the RFM says nothing about the detent/click. And, if the cap is properly secured, you won't get a click if you twist on it.

Also want to make sure you aren't describing the engine oil reservoir which is accessed through a door and the transmission oil filler which you reach down along the mast from the top of the helicopter.
    Doh! I totally had the two conflated. It’s been thirteen years. I’ll get an answer for you tomorrow.

Doh! I totally had the two conflated. It’s been thirteen years. I’ll get an answer for you tomorrow.
    As long as we are doing true confessions, I can't recall having added oil to the transmission or removing the cap. My wife has added transmission oil once or twice in 20 years of flying helicopters. There is a sight glass for level and we check that on preflight.

We carry transmission oil in the ship for adding on an emergency/maintenance basis in the field, but frankly it is a maintenance item.

Not as cool as the Bell, however I am curious if there are any Mooney owners on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    Not as cool as the Bell, however I am curious if there are any Mooney owners on this forum.
    Really cool. When I was learning to fly, a Mooney 231 was my dream airplane.

User Tag List