Page 100 of 167 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1670

Thread: Airplanes

Site Supporter
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I think those are Combat Talons.

My guess is that the 17s will be back in the air in about 18 months.

Flew the J3 today, shot the Browning 1911-380/22 Convertible in 380 mode, and just generally goofed off. Great afternoon.
    Back home now holding the sofa down.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    My guess is that the 17s will be back in the air in about 18 months.
    All depends on what the FAA’s approved fix is if cracks are found.

There is an assumption that the approved repair process is reasonable (based on the premise that the issues were found on Aluminum Overcast and that repairs are in progress), but there’s a chance that the FAA could mandate something cost prohibitive, like new spars.

If there are no cracks found, the planes won’t be down any longer than it takes to do the inspection. Sally B’s is in progress and everything is looking good so far.

I was of the impression that the problem was with the spar attachments, not the spars themselves.
    Glad to hear about SallyB.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    I was of the impression that the problem was with the spar attachments, not the spars themselves.
    Glad to hear about SallyB.
    Yes, it has to do with the attach fittings. Replacing spars would be worst-case scenario. Aerovintage.com has some good articles about it:

With this critical part of the wing attach structure, the question becomes how can it be repaired to adequately insure the airworthiness of the airplane. Replacing the steel terminal fitting is doable with new parts built to specifications. However, repairing corrosion or cracking in the bolt holes on the aluminum spar chords is more problematic. Replacing the entire 25-foot section of the spar tube is just about a non-starter due to 1) there are no replacement spar chord tubes available; 2) the design of the spar tube with an internal taper is difficult and expensive to extrude; and 3) the wing would need to be disassembled to rebuild either the aft or forward spar assemblies.

Can a new inboard portion of the spar chord tube be fabricated and spliced into the outer section of the spar chord tube? Can a doubler or other fabrication be engineered to repair the cracked or corroded holes? What are the other options? All good questions but, at my pay grade, I have no good idea about the solution. Reportedly, the EAA is busy working a repair to Aluminum Overcast and they hope to have it flying again in 2024 so, possibly, the EAA has proposed a repair and the FAA has accepted it. Or, maybe not. Time will tell.

FWIW, I heard over the weekend from another warbird flight crew that Sentimental Journey has been flying— ADS-B data seems to confirm it. So that’s good news.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Heard the boom and then went outside to see what the f' fell in the back yard. Heard jet(s). Grew up near Wright Pat' and put things together. XB70 and B58's were memorable.
    Checked: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a7f457
    That flight through DC was bound to be noticed. Boom. Zooming in on the descent shows... that it might be odd in that that doesn't look like a smooth path into SHD. Would love informed opinions on that. VSP helicopters have been all over that space since.
    Payne Stewart scenario's seem likely, though that's wildly speculative.

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    Heard the boom and then went outside to see what the f' fell in the back yard. Heard jet(s). Grew up near Wright Pat' and put things together. XB70 and B58's were memorable.
    Checked: https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a7f457
    That flight through DC was bound to be noticed. Boom. Zooming in on the descent shows... that it might be odd in that that doesn't look like a smooth path into SHD. Would love informed opinions on that. VSP helicopters have been all over that space since.
    Payne Stewart scenario's seem likely, though that's wildly speculative.
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/lou...s-2023-06-04/I
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List