Page 168 of 168 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168
Results 1,671 to 1,677 of 1677

Thread: Airplanes

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Interesting piece about Boeing in the WSJ yesterday, which should be accessible without a subscription. https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-boe...hare_permalink

The money:

Making and mating aluminum fuselage sections is an established, perhaps obsolescing, discipline. Boeing has since become a more complicated company. Its decision 20 years ago to spin off its 737 fuselage plant, now said to reek of controversy, was actually a sensible way to focus management and shareholders on this narrow art.

In fact, no fatal accidents have stemmed from the 737 factory’s well-aired travails. Two fatal 737 MAX crashes are down to Boeing’s software design. A 1978 factory mistake did cause the catastrophic failure of a Japan Airlines 747 in 1985, but that was during the period critics now paint as Boeing’s golden age.

The romantic critique overlooks that a modern airplane is an amalgamation of complex systems impossible for one company to design and build. Indeed, the decentralized interaction of hundreds of organizations is what makes air travel so safe and cheap. It allows millions of ordinary humans to supply us this service via in-built learning and redundancies without having to be superhuman or transcend the sausage-factory realities of all human endeavors.

In manufacturing, you get the behavior you reward. Boeing needs to get back to rewarding manufacturing teams that are quick and faultless, rather than merely quick.

"You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Interesting piece about Boeing in the WSJ yesterday, which should be accessible without a subscription. https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-boe...hare_permalink

The money:

Boeing needs to get back to making airplanes, and airlines need to get back to flying airplanes. What’s going on today in the industry is anything but.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    The aviation world is small. Sometimes too small. Learned today that the CA in that DC4 crash was the brother of a best friends coworker. Sounds unrelated until you stop and think. It’s a small business.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Short interview with a 94 year old bush-pilot with over 28k hours .....

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List