Page 32 of 163 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Yes. It’s all about CRM.

An oldie but goodie. Every year we used to have to watch this...lol.

Story goes the FO and FE had no idea they were part of a training video. Wheels did start to turn when getting coffee was requested. (It’s in a simulator obviously.)

https://vimeo.com/33088456
    I thought for sure it was that scene from The High and The Mighty when I read an oldie but a goodie. I am going to send that video to our TEM/CRM instructor, spice things up for our next class!

With respect to foreign operators: I went to the factory in the north to fly on a big jets and noticed a lot of the same airlines aircraft on the line. That's not really normal and I asked whats up. On the down low, they said every single pilot the airline sent over to ferry the jets failed their check rides. So their brand new airplanes piled up until they could get their crews to pass. Scary.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    If you look at about the 1:00 point in the video, the FE does indeed flip him off. There’s another video called “Keep Jim Busy”, or “Busy Jim” or some such. It’s basically about the captain loading the FO up with tasks during an emergency. Also an old classic.

In my humble opinion, CRM and all it’s related attitudes has been the single most important addition to aviation safety since they stopped laying on the wing and put in seats. I began my career flying with guys like were in this video, and I’ve seen how it has progressed and changed how things are run. That (again my opinion) is one of the reasons *certain* foreign carriers have training issues. The checkride is based on current Western standard practices. It’s a team effort. If I’m screwing up, I EXPECT the FO to call me out. I brief that first leg of every trip and make it crystal clear. I run the cockpit in such a way as they don’t hesitate to do it. Many foreign carriers have a culture that prevents this. They may indeed hobble thru Western based training, but as soon as they go back to the motherland, the old school mentality and caste system rules the day. There are lots of examples of this, including the Asiana crash in SFO. Some of the above may not be realized to folks not in the industry.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    I flew Interjet, which is seems like the Mexican version of Spirit. It was a fine flight, but I was one of the few gringos on there. Part of me felt like I was in a rough Mexican translation of the airplane scene from the Beverly Hillbillies movie.

If you look at about the 1:00 point in the video, the FE does indeed flip him off. There’s another video called “Keep Jim Busy”, or “Busy Jim” or some such. It’s basically about the captain loading the FO up with tasks during an emergency. Also an old classic.
    That's a good one for over-deligation. We listened to the CVR of one, and I can't remember the names used, where the FE was really over confident in "Old Bob's" Captain ability. It was long long thing where the very senior Captain and FE had flown together multiple times but the FO was new to the crew. The FO kept saying over and over that they were too high and would not be able to make the landing but the FE kept saying 'don't worry, Old Bob knows what he is doing.' The last thing on the recording as the airplane went off the end of the runway was the FO saying 'I TOLD YOU!'
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

The Vulcan has always been a favorite.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

If you know you know.

David S.

Thumbs up

In my humble opinion, CRM and all it’s related attitudes has been the single most important addition to aviation safety since they stopped laying on the wing and put in seats. I began my career flying with guys like were in this video, and I’ve seen how it has progressed and changed how things are run.
    Shortly after IOE not that long ago, me and another guy from my class flew with a CA about to retire. He started berating us in the lobby of the hotel, all the way to level off. Everything we did was wrong to include the ICAO phraseology for checking in during a climb on a new frequency. Once in cruise, he checked off to go down to the cargo deck to smoke (against company policy) and left us in the seat for a few hours to lick our wounds and consider a second career in professional truck driving. On the rollout he yelled that I deactivated auto-brake too soon (not procedural) and spent the van ride to the hotel explaining the basics of how to avoid imputed income. By that time I'd had enough and made a note to put this guy #1 on my no-fly list.

Next morning he finds me at breakfast, asks to sit with me, and then invites me to come fly his Piper Cub next time I'm in Florida. Uh, thanks but no thanks bud.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post

Next morning he finds me at breakfast, asks to sit with me, and then invites me to come fly his Piper Cub next time I'm in Florida. Uh, thanks but no thanks bud.
    Those are always the ones that are hard for me. If a guy or chick is a douchebag then fair enough, I’ll play the game and then avoid the ass. But when the are complete tools in the cockpit and then try to buddy buddy you on the layover it’s WTF??

Oh well it all reminds me of this cult classic which I’m sure you have seen but I post it for the forum members who aren’t “Living The Dream!”

And the book end! Best one in my opinion!

Last edited by Suvorov; 05-09-2022 at 01:24 AM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    “Squat switch Jekyll and Hyde”.

No thanks.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    The flight attendant skipped over us on our return trip from Mexico. Thankfully someone let her know as I almost missed out on my crucial Diet Coke.

While the sounds of Mexico City can be overwhelming, the constant air traffic always fascinates me, especially when the 747 came in for landing.

User Tag List