Page 19 of 163 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

Out the window today after leaving Seattle. Rainier Adams Saint Helens and Hood.

Name:  CDB7AA6C-89D3-4AE8-9758-65E4F96DA266.jpeg
Views: 544
Size:  76.3 KB
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Another plane I'd personally be interested in is the Progressive Searay, which is made in almost my back yard (Tavares, FL).
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    If anybody wants to take a deep dive into the rabbit hole of WW2 aviation you should check out Greg’s Automobiles and airplanes channel on YouTube. While the delivery can be kind of dry he uses a lot of the original flight manuals and other period technical literature to teach about airplanes from that time period, including an eight part series on the P47 that has like 5 hours of content.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCynGrIaI5vsJQgHJAIp9oSg
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I just ran across this article about how they’re going to revamp the B-52 and keep it in service.
    If successful some of those planes will serve for close to 100 years.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...52-11611510806

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I just ran across this article about how they’re going to revamp the B-52 and keep it in service.
    If successful some of those planes will serve for close to 100 years.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...52-11611510806
    NASA was using a B-52 mothership, called Balls 8, since 1959. It was retired in 2004 and replaced by a newer B-52... built in 1961. Keep 'em flying!

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    NASA was using a B-52 mothership, called Balls 8, since 1959. It was retired in 2004 and replaced by a newer B-52... built in 1961. Keep 'em flying!
    Amen! There’s something very steampunk about cramming a bunch of high tech and advanced weapons into something that old.
    It’s just amazing to me that in all this time we haven’t come up with a better mousetrap, or just said the hell with it and built a bunch of new B-52s.

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    using a B-52 mothership, called Balls 8!
    Probably not news to anyone reading the airplane thread, but the phrase 'balls to the wall' has nothing to do with testicles.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Site Supporter
    Name:  AD2DA0EE-5348-49CC-91C0-FCD1CCBCCA99.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  58.4 KB

Last airplane I flew.

Name:  F55970B6-250F-4A68-9F8F-44CE44089E72.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  61.3 KB

As a kid in the late '50s I got to hang around an airport (strip) in the Southern Hemisphere. It was supposed to be the
    busiest one in the SH at the time. Much of the cargo going to the Highlands passed through the strip. There
    was only one road up from the Coast then and it came nowhere near the town we lived outside of.

The Lutheran Mission Aviation bunch flew Cubs, Super Cubs, Cessnas (172s I think), and later
    Dorniers. Commercial air started with DC3s and progressed to Bristol Freighters. We were all
    impressed that a Jeep could be driven right into the Bristols when the clamshell doors were open.

Stuck into a wall in the LMA hanger was an old biplane, a Dragon I think.
    On the far side of the strip near the mangroves were two German Junkers left after the war.
    I never heard how those German planes ended up in our area. Wish I had.

I used a chunk of aluminum tubing taken off of a Junkers as a walking stick in the Boy Scouts. Other scouts thought
    I was cheating.

At the time I made a few model airplanes. One was a British Spitfire. When I got done with it the
    appearance suggested it had been shot from the sky by a German fighter firing glue cannons.

The others I recall were a Sopwith Camel (also glue afflicted) and a cast plastic toy model of the X15.
    Still like all three.

Some of my friends from that time went on to be pilots. My family left the area before the hook was
    fully set in me.

As a kid in the late '50s I got to hang around an airport (strip) in the Southern Hemisphere. It was supposed to be the
    busiest one in the SH at the time. Much of the cargo going to the Highlands passed through the strip. There
    was only one road up from the Coast then and it came nowhere near the town we lived outside of.

The Lutheran Mission Aviation bunch flew Cubs, Super Cubs, Cessnas (172s I think), and later
    Dorniers. Commercial air started with DC3s and progressed to Bristol Freighters. We were all
    impressed that a Jeep could be driven right into the Bristols when the clamshell doors were open.

Stuck into a wall in the LMA hanger was an old biplane, a Dragon I think.
    On the far side of the strip near the mangroves were two German Junkers left after the war.
    I never heard how those German planes ended up in our area. Wish I had.

I used a chunk of aluminum tubing taken off of a Junkers as a walking stick in the Boy Scouts. Other scouts thought
    I was cheating.

At the time I made a few model airplanes. One was a British Spitfire. When I got done with it the
    appearance suggested it had been shot from the sky by a German fighter firing glue cannons.

The others I recall were a Sopwith Camel (also glue afflicted) and a cast plastic toy model of the X15.
    Still like all three.

Some of my friends from that time went on to be pilots. My family left the area before the hook was
    fully set in me.

User Tag List