Page 165 of 170 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 1694

Thread: Airplanes

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    High performance aircraft, low IFR conditions, icing, mountainous terrain, non-precision approach, minimally experienced PIC. Lots to go wrong. Not sure on the TBM but with my VERY limited experience with the PC-12...stall characteristics are NOT pleasant. Just because you can run the autopilot doesn’t make you a qualified aviator under all conditions.

RIP all.
    I never flew at the level of you guys, but I tried to always keep this in mind:

Over time, I gave up some things. Mostly X/C night VFR, because of the ramifications of engine failure (which was driven home after an oil cooler split in flight).
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 04-03-2024 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Goofed it up
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I never flew at the level of you guys, but I tried to always keep this in mind:

[
    Harry Callahan’s Law applies to all aviators at all levels equally.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Very true. It’s a sliding scale too. Lots of constantly changing variables. Recognizing those is what experience is all about. I still have self imposed taildragger crosswind limits that are single digit. Some would likely giggle. Technology has advanced so much and folks have become accustomed to relying on it so much that laws of physics have taken a back seat...right up to the point where they don’t. Aviation has always had this conundrum however. How many of you remember the name “Harry Bliss”? All that said, I’ll be the first to raise my hand and admit I’ve done my share of stupid shit. There was an article I read waaay back that kind of broke down the most dangerous points of an aviators career as it related to total time. It was interesting. I do remember that it also had a pretty good spike at my age/TT. Complacency kills as fast as inexperience. Lots of endeavors suffer the same tho. The veteran cop loosing his life at a simple traffic stops comes to mind.
    Last edited by entropy; 04-03-2024 at 09:42 AM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Let's not forget the classic "Gethomeitus".
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Harry Callahan’s Law applies to all aviators at all levels equally.
    Yep, ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_F...ase_B-52_crash

How about this -- the minutes ahead of you may be more important than the thousands of hours behind you.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How about this -- the minutes ahead of you may be more important than the thousands of hours behind you.

Oh tru dat

Site Supporter
    Attachment 116856

It appears my retirement was short lived. Lol
    Congrats! That’s an awesome plane and a lot of fun to fly.

Lots of endeavors suffer the same tho.
    I used to be much more aggressive about motorcycling in less optimal conditions. One spring I was trying to remember how to readjust the clock for daylight savings time when it occurred to me that I probably rode the thing twice after I had changed the clock in the fall. Now I just make plans for storage soon after the time changes.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Congrats! That’s an awesome plane and a lot of fun to fly.
    Thanks. Yep, it seems like a nice ride. A bit different from what I was used to, but there’s not year old peanuts and candy wrappers on the cockpit floor either!

User Tag List