Page 30 of 167 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    CH-53?
    Absolutely!! I’m impressed; nice recce skills! And if you zoom in on the horizon just inside the bend in the river, you can baaaarely see lead in front of me.

Ant thoughts on this incident from the p-f pilot collective?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/audio-rec...141104925.html

" A tense cockpit recording revealed the moments an Air France pilot struggled to control his Boeing 777 during an aborted landing in Paris on Tuesday.

The aircraft, a Boeing 777-300ER, landed on a second attempt at Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris on Tuesday morning after an overnight flight from New York.

Radio communication between air traffic controllers and one of the aircraft pilots was first published by industry news site AirLive and has since been verified to CNN by the French aviation safety investigators, the Bureau d'Enquêtes et d'Analyses (BEA).

It suggests the pilots could not control the plane as it approached the runway for landing. In the audio, one of the pilots can be heard grunting and panting as alarms sound in the cockpit.

"Stop it, stop it," he is heard saying.

The air traffic controller then says that he has noticed that the plane has veered left away from the runway and instructs the pilot to "stop approach ... immediately."

"I call you back," the pilot says.

After several seconds, the pilot informs air traffic control that he has stabilized the aircraft but was forced to perform a go-around after it "didn't respond." " ...

Not a professional, but maybe a configuration problem?

Site Supporter
    I really don’t see enough information to make an informed comment on what went on….

My best guess: the autopilot failed to correctly capture the desired final approach course (localizer or GPS-based course). The pilots may have been slow to respond (out of surprise and/or fatigue), and the airplane “failed to respond” (in the way they expected) to other autopilot mode changes that they attempted. They probably then (finally) clicked the automation off and initiated a go-around when they realized that they could no longer achieve “stabilized approach” criteria by the required altitude.

I tend to be skeptical of a Boeing truly “failing to respond” to control inputs.

- Just my take, and worth what you paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    Ant thoughts on this incident from the p-f pilot collective?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/audio-rec...141104925.html

" A tense cockpit recording revealed the moments an Air France pilot struggled to control his Boeing 777 during an aborted landing in Paris on Tuesday.

The aircraft, a Boeing 777-300ER, landed on a second attempt at Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris on Tuesday morning after an overnight flight from New York.

Radio communication between air traffic controllers and one of the aircraft pilots was first published by industry news site AirLive and has since been verified to CNN by the French aviation safety investigators, the Bureau d'Enquêtes et d'Analyses (BEA).

It suggests the pilots could not control the plane as it approached the runway for landing. In the audio, one of the pilots can be heard grunting and panting as alarms sound in the cockpit.

"Stop it, stop it," he is heard saying.

The air traffic controller then says that he has noticed that the plane has veered left away from the runway and instructs the pilot to "stop approach ... immediately."

"I call you back," the pilot says.

After several seconds, the pilot informs air traffic control that he has stabilized the aircraft but was forced to perform a go-around after it "didn't respond." " ...

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Not enough info but agree with Gyro. Most likely a coupled approach gone wrong. If you set an airplane up for an autoland, it begins to trim at about 500’ in anticipation for the flare. Without that trim being put in prior to landing, the autopilot would have a hard time flaring the airplane at touchdown. So...if they were unhappy with how the approach was going, (or maybe had an autoland failure of some kind that required a go-around) and disconnected BELOW that 500’ point, the airplane WILL be out of trim significantly. It’s something you practice in the sim, but toss in real life, and I can see where it could be a handful. They also could have been coupled up for an autoland (common on long flights being fatigued) and had a vehicle or such penetrate the signal area. When the weather is good, there are no restrictions to penetrating this area. If there is a vehicle (or another airplane on/exiting the runway) it can cause the signal to “bend” and the aircraft...being dumb...follows the signal. That’s quite common too and can result in “aerial hijinx”...usually immediately followed by words blanked off the voice recorder and the sound of the autopilot disconnect.😁

This story is much to-do about nothing and written for sensationalism.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Several euro T7 drivers familiar with Air Frances "history" have suggested that there was nothing wrong with the aircraft. The crew had the wrong runway/approach selected and tried to override the AP manually. The subsequent go-around was incorrectly handled in that they retracted the gear before the initial stage of flap, hence the config warning.

Another guy posted "Air France pilot error vs Boeing 777 technical failure - having spent 14 years flying the triple my money would be on pilot error."

Apparently from reading what they've posted AF has done this type of thing before.

Good commentary from the guys doing it everyday.

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/...nding-cdg.html

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    It’s usually GEORGE!!!

Of course George is just doing what he was told to do.

Ask me how I know 😔

Quote Originally Posted by Boom View Post
    Good commentary from the guys doing it everyday.

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/...nding-cdg.html
    Thanks.

Since I don’t want the spend the next few hours wasting my life listening to RJ guys throwing poo at each other and mainline guys telling everyone how professional they are, only to have the Euro guys telling the American guys how uncivilized they are for carrying guns and voting for Trump, I’ll just go with your synopsis and NOT click the pprune link (aka the 0.5th ring of Hell).
    Last edited by Suvorov; 04-09-2022 at 08:35 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    It’s usually GEORGE!!!

Ask me how I know 😔

Thanks.

Since I don’t want the spend the next few hours wasting my life listening to RJ guys throwing poo at each other and mainline guys telling everyone how professional they are, only to have the Euro guys telling the American guys how uncivilized they are for carrying guns and voting for Trump, I’ll just go with your synopsis and NOT click the pprune link (aka the 0.5th ring of Hell).

Bwhaaaaaa!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    It’s usually GEORGE!!!

Ask me how I know 😔

Thanks.

Hey man!! Leave the Regional guys alone; they are working twice as hard for half the pay! But yup you’re pretty spot on with your prognosis!!

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Hey man!! Leave the Regional guys alone; they are working twice as hard for half the pay!
    Oh, I know they are! I spent 11 glorious years as one. But they do throw a lot of poo at each other.

User Tag List