Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magpul AK Furniture

There are millions of shitty AKs that have been built in the USA. An AK requires a lot in the way of craftsmanship and special tooling to get right. AR assembly is *much* more forgiving - I'd venture to say that a good AK is a lot like a 1911... not a perfect analogy, but you get the picture.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I don't get these statements:

Forgive me if I'm believing too much lore, but I thought one of the reasons for the AK's global ubiquity is how easy the things are to make. While I understand that some are made a lot better than others, I don't understand why anyone in the US would have to reverse-engineer anything... or why there is any limit as to how well the US can "reasonably replicate" the Russian methods of manufacturing.

Doesn't every country with hand tools know how to make an AK? With more than 60 years of history, what is there to reverse-engineer?

Signed,
    An AK ignoramus
    Nothing is impossible, for example Rifle Dynamics makes awesome AKs here in the U.S., as does Arsenal.Arsenal was able to bring Bulgarian tooling and technicians over to shorten the learning curve and reduce overhead / start up costs. The draw / market niche of the Russian AK's, like the Arsenals is their quality as compared to a Century Arms etc. There are guys in the Pakistani tribal areas making AK's with hand tools but even over there a factory built PRC or Russian AK will bring a premium.

Quality control makes a difference in reliablity, accuracy and safety, even with AK's. The whole "AK's never jam" thing is a fallacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I wonder how it will play with my arrangement?
    I'd be interested to see how the long handguard fits up with that style gasblock config.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I'd be interested to see how the long handguard fits up with that style gasblock config.
    Indeed.

Did I read correctly that the long hand guard requires removal of the regular hg retainer plate?

I handled the AK in the Magpul booth and like the extended handguard version. A good friend, excellent carbine shooter, former Force Recon marine, and trainer said that he really liked it. So much so that he is going to put one on one of his when they become available.

It was also interesting that Palmetto State introduced a US made AK at SHOT.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Is there anything to be said about the news/rumor that Kalashnikov is opening up a US factory?
    They told us second or third quarter.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    Did I read correctly that the long hand guard requires removal of the regular hg retainer plate?
    I believe a lot of these newer handguard solutions do. It makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I thought one of the reasons for the AK's global ubiquity is how easy the things are to make. While I understand that some are made a lot better than others, I don't understand why anyone in the US would have to reverse-engineer anything... or why there is any limit as to how well the US can "reasonably replicate" the Russian methods of manufacturing.

Slight de-rail, but this guy made one (receiver) from a shovel, a barrel blank and a parts kit.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...sunami-warning!

User Tag List