Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed citizens USELESS against terrorists

I'm with Tam. This is a big old "Duh".

It's an ambush damn it. You're supposed to break contact and get out of the kill zone quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    What's their rationale?
    "I live in low crime area."

"I work in a nice building with security."

"I live in the country, there is no serious crime here."

etc, etc, etc

Honestly, a lot of my friends and family live in relatively low-crime, rural or suburban areas and work in the nicer parts of Houston suburbia. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a single friend or family member that has been a victim of a crime or even been a neighbor to a crime victim.

Heck, I myself have been the only one. I walked up on a guy trying to steal my truck out of a hospital parking lot in the middle of the day. I was carrying, but I had my then 3yr old daughter with me. My presence scared the guy off, but I wasn't about to intervene with my daughter with me. I got his license plate and he was arrested the next day. But that's pretty much the extent of crime I've experienced, other than a burglarized truck one night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Regardless of the poor chance that some generic, hypothetical concealed carrier (or anyone) may have against multiple rifle-armed attackers, I very strongly believe that the only correct personal policy is "Who dares, wins." I don't believe for a second that it's a foregone conclusion.
    "It is true that a victim who fights back may suffer for it, but one who does not almost certainly will suffer for it."
    -- JDC, pbuh

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    My friends are the same way. I think the bottom line is that carrying a gun everywhere requires a fairly significant lifestyle alteration - different clothes, habits, places that are off-limits, etc. - that most folks aren't willing to make. Which is a reasonable decision for them.
    Adam Winkler's book contains a stat which suggests only 10% of a states residents bother to carry consistently.Many more hold a CCW permit for administrative reasons, as that means they can transport a gun without needing to lock it in the trunk. One of my professors was profoundly anti, but held a permit because his wife carried and it meant he'd avoid legal issues if he drove her car.

Then we come to the deplorable state of typical handgun skills. Im considered a handgun savant locally for shooting beyond 10 yards offhand-says it all, really. Even if there were armed citizens present at an attack scene,it's going to be two guys with Taurus Judge's or R51s stuffed with RIP ammo.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

As for Texas itself, the low percentage of carry doesn't surprise me a bit. We have friends in Huston and family in Dallas, so we get down there on a regular basis. The image most have of the state is obsolete. With it's massive influx of immigrants and out of stater's over the last decade, Texas is becoming more and more like California all the time.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Agreed. I saw a statistic a while back that stated only 10% of Texas CHL holders actually carry regularly. Of all my friends who I know have their CHL, about 50% can be expected to have a gun on them at any given time.
    I doubt this is the case for most people in Texas, but I don't carry the majority of time I'm awake simply because it's illegal where I work and spend most of my time during the day. When I'm at home at night and on weekends then yeah, I'm definitely carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    I doubt this is the case for most people in Texas, but I don't carry the majority of time I'm awake simply because it's illegal where I work and spend most of my time during the day. When I'm at home at night and on weekends then yeah, I'm definitely carrying.
    Yeah, I understand that predicament. We are fortunate that storing your carry gun in your car in your employer's parking lot is legal, with exception to some of the petro plants which can legally restrict it.

TTAG is no friend of responsible gun owners. They are the epitome of "that guy".
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

That this scenario shows the "terrorists" without at least proper eye pro going into a Sim scenario is telling.

TTAG is one of the very worst internet gun sites on the planet. It is so full of derp and retardery I don't even know where to begin.

This looks like a repeat of that scenario they did for the news a few years ago to "prove" that CCW folks would be worthless against an active-shooter. I have to wonder what the agenda is for the folks doing this.

That the history of real world active shooters and terrorist events has shown that armed good guys almost always make a significant difference should be a clue.

Pretty sure that IDPA vest wearing dude with the Glock in the mall in Nairobi is unimpressed with this bullshit.

Is there significant difference between a terrorist going into action thinking there MIGHT be someone there armed, and KNOWING there is someone there armed. At least, I'm curious to know if you SMEs think that's an important distinction.

User Tag List