Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "The One"

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Basically, I'm suggesting that it'sperhaps better to concentrate on how the tool works (and how one works with the tool) than how aesthetically how the tool superficially looks.

Best, Jon
    Perhaps its a personality flaw, but I can't look at my carry pistol and accept a total lack of artistry. When I owned a VP9, I was delivering great numbers. Yet daily dry fire became a time burden. Going to the range became repetitive and tired.I realized about a month in that I couldn't remember the last time I dry fired it-that's when the light bulb went on.

By switching to a gun I actually like to look at and handle, the outlook's different.I look forward to dry firing my Beretta-and in fact feel weird if I don't. Training doesn't feel like work-its somewhat fun-and the performance aspect is only enhanced because of that. I don't mind spending hours shooting this Brigadier. Ditto well made 1911s and other 'pretty' guns.

I was counting the seconds with the VP9 every time I shot it .Numbers are great, but if you're hating life on the firing line what's the point? When the schedule gets busy and life's demands grow, being motivated can make the difference between sticking with a training plan and " haven't shot in six weeks ."
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Northernheat, I feel your pain. I'm retired now, but have had to play the juggling game of issued vs personally-owned duty guns, what back-up/off duty iron to use, etc., etc.

You would think that this gets a lot simpler when you pull the pin, but alas... no.

My problem is Glock vs. HK; and its mainly about that aesthetic aspect you mentioned. My head knows the G19 makes the most sense for my retired life style, on several levels. But Glocks are so... plebian. And mine are Bowie customs that are rather quite nice; but they're still Glocks.

The HKs, OTOH, instill pride of use and ownership; IOW, affairs of the heart. IOW, totally irrational. The HKs, while possessed of a bit more intrinsic accuracy (in my experience, anyway), when you get right down to the nut-cutting don't "shoot" any better or offer any tangible advantages... aside from a compact, easily concealed, user-friendly launch platform for man-bullets... but that's for another discussion.

The thread on simple internals has got me thinking about this entire conundrum a lot more recently. For those of us who are interested in multiple "platforms", it can indeed be an unsolvable riddle. Add in the fact that the weight of the "package" is becoming more important as I age... .45 burrets are heavy.

I assume you're asking for advice here. If so... the fact that your agency supports Glocks should be your deciding factor. Using the "company gun" for duty makes sense on several levels; and if said company gun is a quality piece that you handle well, it really should be a no-brainer for a cop these days.

IOW, one's head should rule this as opposed to letting your heart drive the bus. I am slowly coming to that fork in the road. The heart is strong, even though I KNOW the head is right. The difference between me and you is that I no longer have any input/support from my employer. So 'going my own way' is simpler. But the basic facts of the situation don't change.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

I assume you're asking for advice here.
    I am sir, and I appreciate you giving your advise as well as everybody else that has given their opinion so far.

Honestly, I think you may be over thinking the subject. No, let me rephrase, you are over thinking the subject. Isolate the issues that have a real tangible benefit and let those drive your decision making process. If you minimize the issues of personal bias and concentrate on the tangible differences your decision making process might be easier. Look at it this way: instead of obsessing over minutia you could be using that time shooting and training.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

For myself, and myself only, I decided a long time ago that all of the service pistols and even the "gamer guns" out there have one thing or another about them that I just do not like. It is what it is, and I finally settled on the gun that let me do the best shooting I could with the least amount of mods, and other than brief flirtations with other things (mostly just for the sake of trying something different for a month), have stayed faithful and tried my best to focus on the software.

Just one example, but it's a good one. I heard a lot about the tricked out CZ's. Seemed like everywhere I turned, someone was singing their praises. But the things are unicorns where I live, at least as far as finding one in a gun shop. Then at a USPSA match, I ran into a guy who actually had one, and he literally couldn't hardly wait until the match was over so we could go to one of the other bays so he could let me see what I was missing. And I was excited too. And then I shot it, and it was nice. But the sky didn't part and I didn't hear angels singing. So I decided that I didn't want to pony up that much money for one after I'd had a chance to shoot one, and I stopped looking at my gun like it was lacking something. I don't hate on the C-Zeds, just realized that maybe they aren't for everyone.

Do people obsess about their other possessions like their guns?

How do the ergonomics of your car compare to Ford, Honda, Toyota and BMW?

Is the turn radius of your current car better then the turn radius of your old car?

What about breaking and acceleration?

I find parallel parking in my latest car to be more difficult then my previous one.

The seat is a bit too wide for me since when I lean my elbow on the drivers side window it holds my arm too far away from my body and gives me a cramp.

The radio buttons on the steering wheel are most annoying and should have been better thought out.

I wish I had cup holders which did not fill with liquid and were easier to get into without looking.

The windshield slopes away too fast and makes it difficult to attach a GPS.

Why are their not more USB ports in modern cars?

I have TONS of complaints, but really, I do not think about it much I just drive my car till it dies, then I get another one.

so what I am saying is that to me, it is most important not to buy a bad one (guns or car etc) but there is no perfect one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    People that are ENTHUSIASTS about some particular activity or possession do. Car guys that are enthusiastic about cars go to car forums and navel gaze just like gun guys who are enthusiastic about guns. The particular environment of ANY topic-specific forum will tend to attract those who obsess over those topics to post more.

Site Supporter
    I shoot my Glock 19 better than my FS M&P. However I like that I can have a manual safety on the M&P. If and when the Gadget comes out, it will be a no brainer which to chose, but right now it's a debate in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    Yes.

I am building (rebuilding) a vintage car right now. You have no idea the level of obsession I am at. Your nitpicks? Not in my car. We're talking I have been teaching myself solidworks and finite element analysis to digitally design, prototype, and build components. I am working on a carbon fiber ducting system to run air-conditioning the seats in my car, because I hate having a sweaty back on a long drive. Yea...seriously.

Obsession isn't just a thing...it is a lifestyle.

so what I am saying is that to me, it is most important not to buy a bad one (guns or car etc) but there is no perfect one.
    Only if you don't build it yourself. Like my daddy always said, "If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself."

RE: The One. I believe what you're looking for is a .357 Magnum double action revolver. 6" for huntin', 3-4" for belt carry, 2" airweight for pocket/ankle carry. /thread

-Rob

User Tag List