Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Unhealthy Obsession? Pistol Accuracy...

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    The only things on my radar at this point are a Sig P226SAO or maybe a CZ75.[/IMG]
    Get yourself a CZ 75 or SP-01 (if you want to carry cocked and locked) or a CZ 75BD or SP-01 Tactical (if you want a decocker), send it to Matt Mink or Angus Hobdell. Discuss the end use with either, and prepare to be blown away when you get it back.

Done.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Must be a Grayguns.

It is and is not stock.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm on the opposite side of the fence: I think people make too little of a pistol/ammo's inherent accuracy. No matter how good you are, your pistol and ammo can only add to the dispersion of your shots. The less they add, the more good hits you'll achieve all else being equal.

That's why I think there's a big difference between a 4"@25 gun and a 2"@25 gun. Will it matter under most practical circumstances? No. But since you can never shoot better than the gun & ammo's inherent level of accuracy, why sacrifice when you don't have to?
    I agree. Which is why i sold my Glock's for the VP9. Im able to pop bowling pins at 100 yrds with it.
    Last edited by Comedian; 01-16-2015 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    I agree. Which is why i sold my Glock's for the VP9. Im able to pop bowling pins at 100 yrds with it.
    With what kind of regularity. 100% would be amazingly impressive.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    With what kind of regularity. 100% would be amazingly impressive.
    No not 100%. I was getting 3 or 4 hits out of a 15 rd magazine fired. It was a very windy day that day though so i think i could better those numbers. First time shooting at 100 yrds as well.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence: I think people make too little of a pistol/ammo's inherent accuracy. No matter how good you are, your pistol and ammo can only add to the dispersion of your shots. The less they add, the more good hits you'll achieve all else being equal.

That's why I think there's a big difference between a 4"@25 gun and a 2"@25 gun. Will it matter under most practical circumstances? No. But since you can never shoot better than the gun & ammo's inherent level of accuracy, why sacrifice when you don't have to?
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    ...I've certainly never carried a gun with inadequate precision.
    So, I'm pretty curious here - What do people feel like is an adequate level of 'precision' and/or inherent accuracy for a carried handgun (I believe both terms mean the same thing here, I could be wrong)? I have my own opinion on this subject (of course), but I am curious as to the thoughts of other folks doing a lot of shooting.

ETA: With the caveat that any carry gun should be 100% reliable even if that means sacrificing some accuracy for reliability.

-Rob

We are diminished
    I feel warm and fuzzy at or better than 2" @ 25yd.

I feel warm and fuzzy at or better than 2" @ 25yd.
    And, I'll tack on an additional question, is that with high-grade ammunition (defensive/match grade), or do you want close to that with off-the-shelf box stuff like Lawman, Blazer Brass, etc?

Personally, I generally start to feel warm and cozy about 2-2.5" @ 25 yards with quality off-the-shelf box stuff and I feel really comfy and sleep well at night at <2" @ 25 yards with match grade and quality defensive ammo. Which is one of the reasons I was still shooting revolvers so much, because I was getting great groups at 25 with defensive ammo (like 1.25" at 25 yards slowfire with my old Colts...).

Now I find myself thinking of picking up a Glock and I worry, because last time I shot Glocks for groups (G17s and G34s), the guns didn't appear to be mechanically much better than 3" or so at 25 yards with high quality ammunition. My shooting skills haven't gotten better recently...why compromise the mechanical component too?!

Ugh...this does keep me up at night.

-Rob

Bench shooting a rifle is easy, how does one bench rest a pistol to obtain truly accurate results? Do they make a holder for pistols like they do rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Bench shooting a rifle is easy, how does one bench rest a pistol to obtain truly accurate results? Do they make a holder for pistols like they do rifles?
    Well there is the Ransom Rest (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/252...-shooting-rest) - Which back in the day (I still remember this), all the gun rags shot the pistols they were reviewing on the Ransom Rest for group size. In other words it used to be held as a standard. But I haven't seen a review using one, nor have I seen a Ransom Rest in the wild in about 12 years or so. But just bench shooting, maybe from sandbags, with a focus on good sight alignment and a clean trigger press, should get you close.

User Tag List